It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Codependency Message Board

tackling my illness

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #1
Berlik
(male)

Berlik HB User
tackling my illness

I've begun the road to recovery by confronting my illness and symptoms with my therapist.

My issue today is, how to overcome the feelings of guilt and failure I'm having simply because I'm codependant.

There is also the feelings of fear because of the changes to come. I don't want to hurt the ppl in my life, but I need to change and get better and some will need to go by the wayside (and feeling that way is a symptom, I know...).

Just down today I guess. Not sure where to direct my energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: tackling my illness

start thinking about what boundries you would like/need to set. this is for YOU, for your well-being. There is no need to feel guilty for taking care of yourself.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
Berlik
(male)

Berlik HB User

Thanks for your reply! Since I made that post a few months ago, I've learned that I do a lot of owning other people's emotions. It was really hard to understand what that meant at first but I now get it pretty well.

My original post was a good example of it, and you are right, I have to take time for myself to heal and that's not wrong!! The people that fall by the wayside are the people that don't want to give me that time, so it's easy to let those relationships go (easy to say, harder to actually do).

I've learned a lot, but I still have a good deal of healing ahead. I want to say I'm proud of myself for moving forward and making progress. And that sentiment has been echoed by those I love, because they want me to be healthy too!!

Old 01-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
rosequartz
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it's tough.....it seems we need to always keep our guard up that we don't slip back into unhealthy patterns.....
I start to wonder if co-dependents are mostly empaths.....taking on the feelings of others.....
I know I'm an empathy and as one attract narcississsssts.....
we have to constantly keep our borders/boundries protected
best of luck to you, it's a process, you can't do it overnight!

Reply Reply