It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• When to change an antibiotic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
    stargrave
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
    When to change an antibiotic?

Hello.

I've been a long time sufferer of upper respiratory infections, both bacterial and viral, apparently because I've my tonsils extracted when I was a child and also because of a chronic allergic problem that has given me an everlasting rinihits and recently, an intermittent asthma.

I became allergic to macrolides, which were one of many antibiotics doctors have given me through my life, sometimes without need, or at least this is my suspicion. I think I've basically tried them all, and I think that this resulted in some antibiotic resistant bacteria.

It's not uncommon for me that, for a a mild or moderate infection I need to take more than one antibiotic to get rid of it.

Right now I've just started a second, prescribed antibiotic for a bacterial laringitis, and I feel worst than before. I feel like this new prescription is not doing anything against the bacteria.

I know that is a bad habit to start an antibiotic treatment and abandon it before it's finished, because this will result in even more resistant bacterias, but I'm kind of desperate, because I have a lot of work to do, and I just can't afford to stay home and rest the week off.

Have someone experienced anything like this?
    If the antibiotic isn't working, when is the right moment to change it?
    Should I finish the 6 day treatment even as I'm not feeling better?

I just want to feel better.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread