It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Can I get the flu twice in one season?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-21-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Can I get the flu twice in one season?

I had the flu February 20 21 & 22. I have no idea what type of flu it was. It came on suddenly and the 20th was the worst day. I had fever, chills, body aches and coughing. The second day I felt a lot better and within a few days I was over it. I did have a seasonal flu shot early in the flu season.

I have never heard of anyone getting the flu twice in one season so I'm wondering if that's possible. I think once is enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Can I get the flu twice in one season?

Have you contacted whomever in your area to request a Covid-19 test?

There are many flu viruses floating around...the 4 in the shot are for the ones that can be deadly.

Get tested.
    q

Old 03-21-2020, 10:40 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Because there are so many strains of the flu, it is very possible to get it more than once a season...this is the novovirus (common flu) we are talking about.

They do not know yet if the Coronavirus can be contracted more than once, but studies are showing its not likely.

You can definitely get the regular flu more than once a year...its just a different strain than you had before.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #4
    esker
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User

Novovirus?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    this is the novovirus (common flu) we are talking about.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:16 AM   #5
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

My wife has recently recovered from her second nasty cold this year. She was weak, fatigued, ucky, headache, etc. She's been fully recovered, and feeling great, for about a week. We are hoping she avoids a third one and that I don't catch anything.

They've got senior shopping hours this Tues and Weds at the local grocery store. It'll be interesting to see if they have products at 7am!

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

John...in the meantime you can go over all surfaces that are regularly touched such as keyboards, phone, faucet handles, doorknobs, switches etc in your home with disinfectant, change toothbrushes, etc. Keep your own hand towel and change often. Use natural antivirals, take mucinex if congested as well as intake of fluids.

Hope you feel better soon,
    q

Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Have you contacted whomever in your area to request a Covid-19 test?

Get tested.
    q
    Hi Quincy, I had an appointment for a regular check-up at my doctor's office about two weeks after I had the flu. So I told him about it and he didn't recommend a Covid-19 test. I don't think the test was available yet. He just recommended that if I start feeling sick again that I should make an appointment to see him.

Thanks to everyone for replies.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Let us know how you're doing...do call your doc's office and see what is suggested.

q

Old 06-10-2022, 07:23 PM   #9
    HairyPoppins
    (female)

HairyPoppins HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    I have never heard of anyone getting the flu twice in one season so I'm wondering if that's possible. Age: 78
    Hello

Actually I think it is quite amazing, that you are 78, and have never heard of anyone getting flu more that once a season.

Yes very possible to have twice and even more per season, especially given how many different strains of flu there are.

Old 09-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #10
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HairyPoppins View Post
    Hello

Actually I think it is quite amazing, that you are 78, and have never heard of anyone getting flu more that once a season.

Yes very possible to have twice and even more per season, especially given how many different strains of flu there are.
    If you think that's amazing, I never knew any of my grandparents or my parents to have the flu. Not even once! And most of my life I never had the flu either.

My opening post said "age 78" and now I am 81+. So this can be considered an update.

Since I reported having an unknown flu or virus on Feb. 20, 2020, I have not had either the flu or COVID-19. Nothing! I kept getting the seasonal flu vaccine but never got the COVID-19 vaccine. The reason is: It was never recommended by my doctor and I decided not to worry about it. I figured if it was really necessary they would have been warning or encouraging me to get it.

Perhaps when I posted here in 2020 it was Covid I had and that gave me immunity. Otherwise, how would I not get Covid for about 2 1/2 years?

Old 09-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi John. I'm 78 and I've successfully avoided flu or covid for decades.

I've had shingles, which was very painful, and I've had C-diff which I got from the clindamycin antibiotic, but no colds of flus.

Us old tykes are tough!

⇒ Do it yourself SLIT greatly improved my asthma and MCS
    ⇒ I make my own dentures with moldable plastic pellets. Saves me $$$

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily

Old 09-15-2022, 09:25 AM   #12
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    Hi John. I'm 78 and I've successfully avoided flu or covid for decades.

I've had shingles, which was very painful, and I've had C-diff which I got from the clindamycin antibiotic, but no colds of flus.

Us old tykes are tough!
    That's right, we're tough! But I did get vaccinated for shingles and many other things when I joined the military. Also got vaccinated when I started school. And I just remembered I got the polio vaccine when it first became available.

But my immune system must be pretty good because I never get headaches or colds.

Reply Reply