It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Flu Shot Or Not?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User
    Question Flu Shot Or Not?????

Hello all,
    I am very much in a quandary as to whether or not get the flu shot this year. Last year I got it for the first time in my life (I'm 60yrs old) Just less than two wks after I came down with horrible pneumonia, that left me wheezing, and on daily inhalers ever since. I never had asthma before either. I know there are two vaccinations the "Flu Shot" and there is a "Pneumonia Shot" Doctors of course tell you yes, get it, and that you can't get sick from the flu shots... but I'm leary. I don't know if I should get both of them, or not to, as I'm afraid of getting so sick again, especially if I take both shots. I just don't know what to do. Please if any one can offer helpful opinions, suggestions, or any kind of informational input would be so appreciated.
    db

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #2
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Flu Shot Or Not?????

Hi,

Well, the flu shots offered yearly are for the 3 most easily caught and most deadly.

It doesn't guarantee you won't catch a flu, because there are many floating out there (especially if you travel). It also doesn't guarantee you'll catch one of the 3 that are in the shot....but you won't get it full-blown.

I have asthma, and I get the flu shot yearly.

Pheumonia is caused by different strains as well, and if one is prone to lung infections, or is compromised health-wise, etc....that would definitely be a consideration as well.

Why are you torn?

I've had flus twice in the 18 years I've taken them.

Hope this helps,
    quincy

Old 10-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy
    Hi,

Well, the flu shots offered yearly are for the 3 most easily caught and most deadly.

It doesn't guarantee you won't catch a flu, because there are many floating out there (especially if you travel). It also doesn't guarantee you'll catch one of the 3 that are in the shot....but you won't get it full-blown.

I have asthma, and I get the flu shot yearly.

Pheumonia is caused by different strains as well, and if one is prone to lung infections, or is compromised health-wise, etc....that would definitely be a consideration as well.

Why are you torn?

I've had flus twice in the 18 years I've taken them.

Hope this helps,
    quincy

Thank you for your kind response Quincy. The reason I'm torn is I feel it's possible I have gotten so very sick with pneumonia last year b/c I got the shot, and I never was asthmatic till I got the pneumonia, that left me with this wheezing problem. I know pneumonia is another strain, but it's what I got soon after that shot. There is no proof that it was from the shot, I guess. On the other hand, I'm afraid not to get vaccinated. I understand there is a Flu Shot, and there is a pneumonia shot...I'm afraid to get "both" Maybe I should just get the pneumonia shot. Winter is coming, I'm scared, and I just don't know what to do.
    db

Old 10-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

I wouldn't think twice about getting them both. I had them both 2 years ago. I don't think I got it last year, tho.

There are different kinds of pneumonia. The process is the same as the flu shot...whichever one is the nastiest and most easily spread etc.

It's probable that the pneumonia and the shot were coincidence, as well, that the pheumonia was another strain.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? Is there anyone in your family with asthma or eczema?

Have you "googled" the 2004 flu and pneumonia shots? See what info you can find about it, maybe some of your questions can be answered for better consideration.

I won't be getting mine till the end of the month. Oops, I forgot I have to make an appointment -- must do so tomorrow.

Let me know what you decide.
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 10-07-2004 at 10:47 PM.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #5
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User
    Post Re: Flu Shot Or Not?????

Hi Quincy,
    I am 60 yrs old, and no one in my family has asthma, or ever did that I know of. They have nasal alergies, as that's about it. No history of eczema at all. Why do you ask?
    I will have to check out Google to see what being said. I usually always come in here, as I've always gotten great support, and helpful information in here. My hubby, and I are still undecided as to whether or not to get the shots
    Don't forget to make you appointment
    db

Old 10-11-2004, 01:53 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

I asked about the asthma/eczema because they're related and if it runs in your family....it's possible you might have it because of the wheezing you're having. Both run in my family...and guess who has them both??

Are you by chance on any other meds such as high blood pressure meds? Sometimes they can cause a wheeze or cough.

It's also possible that after one has a lung infection, the lung becomes more reactive. It's also possible that you might have a bit of scarring from the pneumonia. Did by chance the doc put you on a corticosteroid inhaler when you were sick? That's an option at this point to hopefully to help the inflammation that might cause the wheezing.

As well....are you possibly suffering from GERD or reflux? Sometimes that can cause some wheezing.

If you're undecided....you might want to get thoroughly checked out by your doctor,maybe have a chest x-ray and a respiration test to make sure that you're not having another problem.

I did call about the appointment about the flu shots....and the clinic at my doctor's office doesn't have them till the end of the month. So, I can go any time.

I have since ended up with a cold. When I was writing my previous reply, I was getting pains in my ear and throat. I just went to the doctor that day about my asthma and fighting off "something". I got another inhaler that has worked quite nicely....but doesn't it figure that I got sicker the day AFTER I went to the doctor. It's been a rough few days, but I think the worst is over. I HATE HAVING A COLD...BLEH!!
    But I'd rather be sick than just "fighting" something for over a month. At least I feel I'm on the mend and will be getting better. I HOPE I don't pick up another virus before my flu shot.....they won't give it to me if I'm sick.

I do hope you come to a decision that you and your husband are confident about. I hope we all get through the season relatively healthy!

Best to you,
    quincy

Last edited by quincy; 10-11-2004 at 01:57 AM.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Has anyone had the flu-mist vaccine? Since there's a shortage of the regular shots, I've been considering getting that this year. DS has a chronic condition and we've been told by the docs that anyone who spends any amount of time around him needs to be vaccinated. I'm relatively healthy, so I figure I can get the flumist, which is a live virus inhaled through the nose.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

I have heard there's a specific criteria to fit before getting the flu-mist vaccination. You'd have to check it out with the doc....but it's definitely another option for you.

q

Old 10-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #9
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User
    Post Re: Flu Shot Or Not?????

(Quincy)

I asked about the asthma/eczema because they're related and if it runs in your family....it's possible you might have it because of the wheezing you're having. Both run in my family...and guess who has them both??
    ans: I've never had eczema, and the wheezing is just since the pneumonia last year. I'm sorry you have both asthma/eczema. I had a client once who's eczema was so bad. Did you know that laying in the sun, and the tanning bootHs were helpful with eczema?
    ________________________________________ ________________________

Are you by chance on any other meds such as high blood pressure meds? Sometimes they can cause a wheeze or cough.
    ans: The only other meds I take daily, is Atenolol for my SVT arrhythmia, and the Advair inhaler, (lowest dosage) which I take once a day..sometimes I can go two days. Would you know if the Advair can cause dryness in the throat, and coughing? I think it does. I also at times get horseness. Like I have to clear my throat a lot.

It's also possible that after one has a lung infection, the lung becomes more reactive. It's also possible that you might have a bit of scarring from the pneumonia. Did by chance the doc put you on a corticosteroid inhaler when you were sick? That's an option at this point to hopefully to help the inflammation that might cause the wheezing.
    ans: When I had the pneumonia, (after my first flu shot) I was on everything. Antibiotics, Prednisone, Advair. It took over 6mos for this bout to clear up..which is why I'm so afraid of getting inoculated again.

As well....are you possibly suffering from GERD or reflux? Sometimes that can cause some wheezing.
    ans: Yes I do have reflux, I take Nexium on occasion. I am also overweight which I think contributes.

If you're undecided....you might want to get thoroughly checked out by your doctor,maybe have a chest x-ray and a respiration test to make sure that you're not having another problem.
    ans: I have recently had a thorough check up by a pulmanist, and he advised me to continue with Advair and also singular, he said my asthma was allergy related.. but I can't take the singular daily, as combination meds daily will give me migraines. So I just use the Advair, as it helps my wheezing, which is the only problem with my airways that I have ...so far. I don't know what it's like to have an actual asthma attack (and I hope I never do) I don't have breathing difficulties, just the wheezing.

I did call about the appointment about the flu shots....and the clinic at my doctor's office doesn't have them till the end of the month. So, I can go any time.
    ans: Good, I heard there is no shortage on the pneumonia shots, just the flu shots, and some areas have been giving them now, but most won't have the vaccine till the end of October.

I have since ended up with a cold. When I was writing my previous reply, I was getting pains in my ear and throat. I just went to the doctor that day about my asthma and fighting off "something". I got another inhaler that has worked quite nicely....but doesn't it figure that I got sicker the day AFTER I went to the doctor. It's been a rough few days, but I think the worst is over. I HATE HAVING A COLD...BLEH!!
    ans: Sry you have a cold, I hope your feeling better. Do you take vitamin C, vitamins, and enzymes to boost your immunity up? I hear vitamin C is good for asthma too. Take hot showers, with lots of steam. If you like garlic, put a cut up fresh clove in your salad, or mash one in your soups..good for the immunity also.

I do hope you come to a decision that you and your husband are confident about. I hope we all get through the season relatively healthy!
    ans: Well, so far I may just go with the pneumonia shot, but I don't think I'm going with the flu shot this year. I'm still too skeptical, I mean even last year they gave us the wrong strain.
    db

Old 10-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #10
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

My eczema is in small patches, so it's more of an inconvenience. I do use hydrocortisone cream when necessary.

My cold is on the decline (somewhat)....I'm on lots of vitamins and stuff anyway, I did increase the vitamin C (although I normally take around 2,000 - 3,000 daily). Garlic..well, I just take it in foods that are prepared with it. It's something I wouldn't purposely feed myself because I do find it somewhat nauseating when I taste it alone. I tried, can't do it..sigh!

I have asthma as well, and I've been on doubled inhaled meds for over a month. I'm now trying Q-Var and Oxeze....hopefully the difference they're making will continue. Could be coincidence..but I don't think changing meds is a bad thing at this time. I've been somewhat humbled as of late...and taking care of colds is always a focus rather than a second thought. I don't have a choice in that matter. It's just such an inconvenience....but my job is very flexible, so I'm able to deal with myself and not feel guilty!

I've read that Advair can cause headaches as well. But, please use it at least the recommended dosages. Did the doc suggest once a day to you? If so, make sure you use it. Maybe nighttime would be best to help lessen the symptoms of side effects.

Singulair is awesome..my husband and best friend are using it as well. Neither has complained of headaches, tho. I hear it's to be used at night, maybe juggling the meds time dosaging would help as well. Have you tried the Singulair yet?

The wrong strain last year was a definite fluke.....I guess it has to be decided by a certain time so that there would be enough for before the season hits. Obviously their prediction was surpassed by another flu hitting the world at a faster rate. I also heard, tho..that even when we get the flu vaccines, that we are somewhat immunised for any flu virus. Still that means that we will have SOME protection, but not fully. No flu vaccine gives us full protection anyway.

You know...there's a lot to be said for instinct......if you're skeptical based on experience, go with it....it probably would be best for you to get the pheumo shot instead of both.

Seems there's a lot of weird viruses out there....travelling sure brings us closer together, doesn't it??? In any event, I wish us all a healthy (ier) season.

Best to you,
    quincy

Old 10-15-2004, 08:37 AM   #11
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Just heard that if you live with someone who is immune suppressed, you should NOT get the flu-mist or at least avoid contact (move out?) for three weeks. Scary!

Old 10-15-2004, 07:11 PM   #12
    DBLKLIK

DBLKLIK HB User
    Smile Re: Flu Shot Or Not?????

(Quincy)

My cold is on the decline (somewhat)....I'm on lots of vitamins and stuff anyway, I did increase the vitamin C (although I normally take around 2,000 - 3,000 daily). Garlic..well, I just take it in foods that are prepared with it. It's something I wouldn't purposely feed myself because I do find it somewhat nauseating when I taste it alone. I tried, can't do it..sigh!
    ans: I'm glad to hear your cold is getting better. I see you take high dosages of Vitamin C..is that 2,000 -3000 mg, your talking about. Gosh, I only take 250mg daily..I guess that is hardly enough to do anything, is it???
    ________________________________________ ___________________

I have asthma as well, and I've been on doubled inhaled meds for over a month. I'm now trying Q-Var and Oxeze....hopefully the difference they're making will continue. Could be coincidence
    ans: How are you doing on the new meds? I hope they are still making a difference for you. Is it worse for you when you have a cold?
    ________________________________________ _______________________

I've read that Advair can cause headaches as well. But, please use it at least the recommended dosages. Did the doc suggest once a day to you? If so, make sure you use it. Maybe nighttime would be best to help lessen the symptoms of side effects.
    ans: My Dr told me to use it twice a day...but I don't, or my headaches get worse. I've been using it once a day, and sometimes have to wait for two days, even though I'm slightly wheezing, to relieve the headache. I do use it at night time.
    ________________________________________ __________________

Singulair is awesome..my husband and best friend are using it as well. Neither has complained of headaches, tho. I hear it's to be used at night, maybe juggling the meds time dosaging would help as well. Have you tried the Singulair yet?
    ans: I was also told to take Singulair once daily at night time, with Advair twice daily. I tried it for a few days, and my headaches would return, or get worse. So I stopped the Sinulair, as I can't take both. I chose the Advair as my wheezing is the annoyance, and I don't think Sigulair alone would take care of the wheezing..would it? Isn't Singulair more for alergies?
    ________________________________________ ____________

The wrong strain last year was a definite fluke.....I guess it has to be decided by a certain time so that there would be enough for before the season hits. Obviously their prediction was surpassed by another flu hitting the world at a faster rate. I also heard, tho..that even when we get the flu vaccines, that we are somewhat immunised for any flu virus. Still that means that we will have SOME protection, but not fully. No flu vaccine gives us full protection anyway.
    I dunno, I just hope all this flu propaganda isn't all just hype. I suppose it's a crap shoot. I hope I'm making the right decision, in not getting this years flu shot. I don't know if this flu epidemic was as prevalent in my parents time as today is. But, they NEVER got a flu shot, and did fine, they both lived to be in their 80's. On a few occasions they got colds, but nothing more then sniffles, or a head cold. I don't even recall if there was a flu vaccine then. I hope we all have a healthy flu-less winter.
    db

Old 10-16-2004, 12:06 AM   #13
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Just thought i'd chime in with a few thoughts from my own experience. When i was a child, all my friends got flu shots and got the flu. My family never did and never got the flu(well maybe once or twice in the child years). I am now 57 and last year got the flu shot for the first time. No flu last year. I think they have probably improved the formulation in all those years. I do not think i will get a shot this year tho.
    Mainly my thinking is that if your own body is usually resistant to all sorts of colds, flus and viruses, as mine is, you are probably okay not getting the shot. But with age our bodies systems start to not work so well so when i hit 60 or 65 I will probably join the ranks of shot takers. Your age is on the edge of the recomended age for flu shot and since your system has been compromised by the pneumonia you had you might consider the protection the shot will provide. Those who get the flu after a shot tend to get a weaker version of the illness.
    As to the flumist, I was talking to the drug rep the other day and was told it is not yet approved for use in older people. They have not finished testing on all populations and because of the shortage of flu vaccine this year, they will suspend their testing of the various populations so that what they have can be used for prevention on groups already tested and approved.. You might look it up on the internet or ask your doctor to see if you belong to one of the populations approved so far.
    I have also heard several stories on the radio of price gouging in some states so be careful of that. In Florida, one company was cited for charging 4x the price they had charged before the shortage was announced. This was illegal.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:29 PM   #14
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I'm glad to hear your cold is getting better. I see you take high dosages of Vitamin C..is that 2,000 -3000 mg, your talking about. Gosh, I only take 250mg daily..I guess that is hardly enough to do anything, is it???
    You might want to up it a bit since you're in a somewhat compromised state. Some might recommend an extremely high dosage of 4,000 - 5,000. To me that's really high, but I tend to go closer to the 3,000 to keep my stools looser when I'm more constipated (UC). There's good praise about Ester C....especially for older people...but it gives me pains in the throat, so I don't take it.

Quote:
    How are you doing on the new meds? I hope they are still making a difference for you. Is it worse for you when you have a cold?
    My asthma is definitely worse during a cold. I have both intrinsic and extrinsic asthma. The Q-Var is awesome (before I was using Pulmicort), and I'm going to stick with it. At this time because of my cold I'm using 3 puffs twice a day. Afterward I'll try to wean to one puff twice a day and see how I do.

I'm not using the Oxeze now, I'm back to the Berotec. I think it was because I was having coughing attacks and wanted to use the rescue inhaler to help ease it. My breathing is doing tons better, so I don't think I'll need the 12 hour relief.

Regarding your situation....I would suggest you change your inhaler med and use one that doesn't have both the rescue and preventative in it.

I do think that that might be an option for you to try other meds. The Advair is definitely known to cause headache. You should use your meds faithfully (especially the preventative). The rescue one could be used firstly before the preventative, but maybe a shorter acting one would be better? That way if you needed it between you could use it.

The Q-Var could also be an option for you since the particles are very small and seem to get into the lung better (as per the insert).

Keep your options open...it's obvious your meds aren't helping you the way they should since you're not using them. There are many to choose from, just because what you used firstly isn't best for you it doesn't mean you're stuck.

Quote:
    I tried it for a few days, and my headaches would return, or get worse. So I stopped the Sinulair, as I can't take both. I chose the Advair as my wheezing is the annoyance, and I don't think Sigulair alone would take care of the wheezing..would it? Isn't Singulair more for alergies?
    The Singulair is for allergies but it works on a different allergic response...the leukotrines (I can't describe it because I haven't done any research on it)

I think that you have options to help you breathe easier.... please go back to your doctor armed with some information and see if he/she will comply. I would hate for you to not have your breathing as it is if a change in meds would help.

The very best to you,
    quincy

Old 10-29-2004, 05:30 AM   #15
    witchymomma

witchymomma HB User

I have many reservations about this vacine first of all they have no idea what virus is gonna strick they are guessing and there are so many viruses out there. Second I was reading the flumist vaccine insert and it says asthma suffers should NOT take this vaccine you can read the vaccine insert herehttp://vaccinetruth.org/new_page_5.htm
    Its worth reading the info.

Amy

Closed Thread