It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Whooping Cough

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
    ballman

ballman HB User
    Whooping Cough

I recently went through a period of severe coughing spells, which has been diagnozed as possibily Whooping Cough. What are some sypmtons that people that have been definately diagnozed with that, have had.

Last edited by ballman; 10-12-2004 at 04:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
    witchymomma

witchymomma HB User
    Re: Whooping Cough

My dd had it at 6 mo. Many people still get whooping cough today and Dr diagnose it as something else. Typical symptoms are coughing fits that leave you breathless and sometimes result in vomiting. When gasping for air to breath you may here the characteristic WHOOP sound. ALot of adults do not get the whoop sound but children often do. The couhg usually lst for 6 weeks or more and a nagging lingering cough will last for months. Pertussis attachs the CIllia in the lungs and breaks them off not allowing for the cillia to help remove the junk that gets caught in your lungs. And it take month for them to grow back.

High very high dose of Vit c is sodium ascorbate form helps termendiously. Aslo homeopathic remedies help you through th course of this illness.

Whooping cough is very much still around and many Drs today call it the 100 day cough.

AMy

Old 11-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
    Ratatosk
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

If you do have whooping cough, your doctor will give you an antibiotic and suggest that any people you are in close contact with family, coworkers also be put on the antibiotic. DS's daycare had a case and all the children in the center were put on antibiotics. Whooping cough is a highly contagious bacterial infection.

People in our state are dealing with an epidemic here. As you get older the effects of the pertussis vaccine wears off and then there are some who don't believe in vaccinating their children.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 11-01-2004 at 09:34 AM.

Old 11-05-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
    lllblessedlll

lllblessedlll HB User

Hi, my son had whooping couph when he was 4 yrs old. He couldn't take the purtussis part of his routine baby shots because he was allergic to it and ran a very high fever. The symtoms are like the other posts on here. A horrrible couph that most times you lose your breath and hear a "whoop" sound also. My son would lose his breath and the end of a long couph and would nearly scare me to death. When he first got it he had like a dry couph the first 2 weeks or so, then the next 4 weeks was the worst, with the losing breath and vomiting. Then the last 2-3 weeks was the nagging couph again. The docs tested him for TB and Cystic Fybrosis, which both came back negative. So like the last few weeks they finally determined it was whooping couph. Hope you feel better, Take care.

Old 11-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
    wild5437

wild5437 HB User

Hi, i had whooping cough in 7th grade... the test is brutal! anyways i had to take antibiotics and my family and friends had to take z pack to make sure they didnt get it
    My symptoms
    coughing deep into the night
    coughing up flem
    comon cold

Closed Thread