It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Sore throat/virus?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
    claydreamer
    (female)

claydreamer HB User
    Sore throat/virus?

Hi there! First time poster, because you guys seem like a knowledgeable bunch.

About two weeks ago, I worked a very long week at work, and at the very end I started feeling what seemed to be your typical sore throat. The one you always get at the start of a normal cold. It persisted for two days, then the fever began. Nothing too high--right around 100 for four days. The sore throat never began to feel better, however. It was easily the worst sore throat of my life. I couldn't sleep or swallow. I went to the doctor on the third day, and he prescribed Augmentin. (I had a prescription of the same drug three weeks prior for an upper respiratory infection.) I get sick maybe once every five years, but this year has been bad.

I took the course of Augmentin, and the sore throat started to feel better around the 5-6 day mark. Now, I don't know if it was because of the drug or just because it had run its course naturally.

Now, it's started again. No persistent fever this time, but the sore throat is back in force. I feel some fatigue despite sleeping quite a bit (I'm not sure it's mono-esque fatigue, though, although I've never had it). But mostly, it's just my horribly inflamed throat. I've been keeping it in check with tylenol cold combined with Motrin. I'm insured, but my job and school responsibilities make going to the doctor this week an impossibility.

I guess I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem, and if it was possibly a virus as opposed to something bacterial. I have chronic ear infections, so maybe that's related? I don't know. I just want to be able to swallow my own saliva again. <G> Thanks in advance.

Last edited by claydreamer; 05-12-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
    CuriousJen
    (female)

CuriousJen HB User
    Re: Sore throat/virus?

Hey, even though I know nothing about this, I was j/w how your sore throat is? Did it get better?

Jen

Closed Thread