It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• A chronic case of postnasal drip? What?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #1
    MachOneMustang
    (male)

MachOneMustang HB User
    Post A chronic case of postnasal drip? What?

Hi, Iím a 16-year-old male and it seems to me that I have a chronic case of postnasal drip. I have had this problem for a while now, at least a year or two, but it wasnít until recently (and I mean within that past week) that I actually found out what was going and what it was called. I thought it was just some stupid thing my body did. Postnasal drip usually occurs when you are sick or as a symptom of allergies. I am still recovering from a cold and yes; my allergy season isnít quite over yet but Iím almost positive I have gotten this at times when I wasnít sick and not in allergy season. I guess I could be wrong, but nevertheless. When I do get nasal drip though, it never seems to go away. Iíll get it for hours at a time, the amount of mucous leaking into my throat increasing as time goes by until I almost choke on it every time I swallow. And when it finally does dwindle off, all it takes is an accidental swallowing of just a drop of that backed up mucous, and the process starts all over again. Its almost like you break seal, you know what I mean? In just this past week Iíd say I went through around 10+ hours of heavy nasal dripping. I also notice that it always seems to start when I think about it. Say Iím out with friends; Iím not thinking about it, so thus it doesnít happen. At home when Iím sitting on the computer doing nothing for the most part, I think to myself ďhey, I havenít gotten nasal drip in a whileĒ and boom, 5 minutes later Iím swallowing buckets of mucous (alright maybe thatís a little far-fetched, but it does seem that way). What I would like to know is, is this kind of nasal drip common? To get it as often and as heavy as I do. Also, does anyone know of any products or remedies that control or get rid of postnasal drip that I could try? Thanks!

------------------
    <<>> The Slickster <<>>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2002, 06:17 PM   #2
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
    Sounds like you have an allergy to something in your home. Could be anything; dust, dust mites; cats; dogs; plants; molds, etc.

All you can do is see an allergist to be tested or your family doctor and hopefully get some prescribed medication. I take Allegra as does my son along with Rhinocort. My other son takes a new product called Clarinex...the new version of Clariton. I had allergy shots for awhile but didn't really find it helped much.

You might try to drink more water as this can help thin the mucous.

Old 11-25-2002, 04:28 PM   #3
    MachOneMustang
    (male)

MachOneMustang HB User
    Question

Hey DianeK, I often wondered if my allergy to something would be causing this problem. The thing is, I do take allergy medicine (Zyrtec), but my allergy season stops with the first frost of the year (already past). And I get postnasal drip anywhere and everywhere, whether it be at school, home, or out and about. How can what I'm "allergic" to be everywhere? I could see maybe if it was pollen or ragweed or anything of the sort... but my allergy season is "over," isn't it?

------------------
    <<>> The Slickster <<>>

Old 11-26-2002, 06:16 PM   #4
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
    Nope, you probably have allergies that are existing in your home. Like I said, dust, mold, plants, animals and even cologne! Plus, these things you will undoubtedly come in contact with at school, the mall, anywhere! Maybe you should go back to the doc and see if he can prescribe something in addition to Zyrtec, like a nasal spray like Flonase or Rhinocort. My son uses the nasal spray along with Clarinex and it has helped him quite a bit. We have two rabbits, and I can never get rid of the dust so it's an ongoing allergy in my house, year round, for my boys and me.

[This message has been edited by Dianek (edited 11-26-2002).]

Old 11-26-2002, 08:31 PM   #5
    MachOneMustang
    (male)

MachOneMustang HB User
    Very Interesting. I completely forgot about nasal sprays, and now I feel stupid. Why? Cause I have a perscription nasal spray for allergies. Why it never dawned on me before to use it for my nasal drip is beyond me. I guess its true that the most obvious things are only obvious AFTER you think of them. Hopefully all I have to do is start up with my spray again and it'll go away. Thanks so much DianeK.

Old 11-27-2002, 12:14 PM   #6
    Dianek
    Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
    You're very welcome MachOne! Hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread