It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Severe Head Cold

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-19-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
    Newsome
    (female)

Newsome HB User
    Thumbs down Severe Head Cold

I've had a head cold since the 9th of this month. Never got a sore throat or a cough. No fever. No aches. Just my nose. Also, my eyes, face and the top part of my scalp has been itchy..but that's a little better now. I have no history of allergies of any kind and am 35 years old. Appetite is normal. It's been continous without relife since the 9th.

I'm hearing a lot about long lasting colds, but they all involve the different stages...sore throat, stuffy nose, cough, aches etc. Is anyone out there having a situation like this? A head cold only that just won't go away? I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be stuck like this forever. I can't sleep. Afrin doesn't work. Even if my nose opens up it just itches more and I start sneezing and then I'm back blocked up again. Nothing helps. I've spent 50 some odd dollars trying to get some relief. Tried the steam thing. Can't have a vaporizor in my room because I've got the computer and all in here.

There isn't even any point to trying to sleep any more. Not when your nose just runs and runs and itches and you have to blow it every five to ten minutes. Its taking me a half hour to post this because I have to keep stopping and blowing my nose after every sentence I type. I'm beginning to think this isn't a cold. It's not like any cold I've ever had before at any rate. I'm going to go crazy.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
    r0cky
    (female)

r0cky HB User
    Re: Severe Head Cold

YES. Oh my gosh, I had a horrible cold for about 2 or 3 weeks without relief and even after it went away for the most part, I was left with a somewhat-stuffy nose and a bit of a cough. That was last month, and I still have a little bit of a stuffy nose.

I didn't stop blowing my nose until December started.

I had never had a cold that bad either.

Is the mucus still clear/cloudy? I was almost afraid I had a sinus infection because the cold was so bad and just didn't seem to let up ... but even though every once in awhile my mucus was yellow-tinted, it was never consistent and often went back to clear/cloudy.

Hot tea helped me. I also tried SinuCleanse to wash out my sinuses, and that helped too. I couldn't breathe or sleep until I started using that. I think I also went through a few boxes of cold medicine. I also slept with a few pillows behind my head, and put these "Shower Soother" tablets in the shower. They're really cool. You can find it in any drugstore in the cold medicine section. It's a little tablet you put on the floor of your shower when you're taking one and it releases eucalyptus/menthol stuff that feels nice and helps you breathe.

Anyway, just wanted you to know you're not alone and if it's anything like the cold I had, it will go away ... just not until you've permanently installed a kleenex/trash system at your bedside and a smaller version to wear around your neck during the day.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #3
    Newsome
    (female)

Newsome HB User
    Re: Severe Head Cold

Hi r0cky,

Thanks for your reply and good humor. I really enjoyed your post.

I ended up going to the doctor because I just couldn't stand it anymore. He gave me Nasonex spray which I guess can take a week or so to work. And Allegra D....which is amazing. It cleared me up completely. My raw nose healed in 24 hours. And I didn't blow my nose until late the next day. Only bad thing is it has psuedoephedrine in it so I was *still* awake all that night into the next day. So I haven't taken it again. I am using the Nasonex though.

I also got some baking soda, salt, hydrogen p. and 2 cups of warm water. I had an old pet med syringe from when my cat TJ had her bladder infections. I use that to shoot the soloution up my nose and let it run out into the sink. It does help. I also have Ayr saline drops and SinoFresh. I have a ton of meds too. Sudafed PE which I've not taken. Claritin (without the D) which I used today and it didn't really do much. And I'm staying away from the Afrin.

I think I have my kleenex/trash system working good now by the bed, but I have yet to figure out a portable version for trips to the loo and such. lol. I've got two boxes of kleenex stacked on top of each other with different openings so I can reach in to the box underneath. I also have back up in case I would run out, a few rolls of toilet paper. lol. Thankfully I did not have to restort to paper towels yet.

As for my test they said it looks viral so I'm stuck with it until it's done partying in my blood stream or whatever it does. Must be one of those big 3 day rave parties lol. So I'm taking it easy...realizing that I'll get to sleep again whenever this goes away. Watching lots of avi files on the 'puter HD, drinking juice and water and eating what I can.

I'm a baby when it comes to being sick. I can't figure out how those suddenly apparently cured people get that affect out of those cold meds and running off to do the shopping or whatever on those commercials. lol. Must be that psuedoephedrine stuff.

Closed Thread