It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Mouth pain after recent strep throat battle.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2006, 12:18 AM   #1
    chris1986
    (male)

chris1986 HB User
    Mouth pain after recent strep throat battle.

Hello all,

New member here.

My name is Chris and I'm 20 years old. This past week, I battled an episode of horrible strep throat. I went to the doctor, and was prescribed Avelox (moxifloxacin). I'm sure there are better options, however I'm uninsured and the doctor pretty much took what he thought was best from his "goodie closet", as he calls it.

Anyway, I've just finished the 10-day (once a day) treatment of Avelox, and although my throat and overall self feel considerably better, my mouth is in extreme pain. So much so that I've resorted to Vicodin to ease the pain.

I have canker sores on the bottom part of my gum line next to my bottom lip (all the way near the bottom), as well as what seems to be canker sores on the inside of my gum, and can be felt (painfully ) with my tongue. I've also developed what seems to be canker sores on the actual tonsils themselves. I never thought this was possible, but hey, I'm not a doctor.

I'm not asking if this is "normal", but what can cause this? Is it a reaction to the Avelox, Vicodin, or still just getting over the strep itself?

Thanks so much for your time. Merry Christmas

-Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
    nick89
    (male)

nick89 HB User
    Re: Mouth pain after recent strep throat battle.

i took avelox over 6 months ago and my life has been destroyed.over 50 adverse reactions to this poison, lupus symptoms,torn tendons, muscle , joint pain, phototoxicity,nerve damage among many others. life and death drug. my mouth erupted in large canker sores all the way down my throat. i still get eruptions 6 months later. avelox can deffinetely cause mouth sores but you may also have oral thrush,which is an overgrowth of yeast . i had thrush down my esophagus, which took two weeks of pills too clear up. you should have a doctor check it out, but its most likely related to avelox. if thats as bad as it gets for you consider yourself lucky as thousands of people have had their lives destroyed by this crap and i depend on a wheelchair to get around at the age of 20. monitor your health for at least 6 months for any weird symptoms that may arise. side effects to this poison can occur even months later. take care.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
    chris1986
    (male)

chris1986 HB User

Jeez, I'm so sorry to hear that

While I was taking it, it was definitely a battle. Itching, hives, nausea, extremely frequent vomitting. It was a nightmare.

But yeah, I'm convinced this is Avelox-related and not oral thrush. I really only have the sores and no white patches or white walls on my gums or tongue. My mother went out and got me Peroxyl (Colgate Peroxide mouthwash), and suggested I try it.

I'll report back if things get better or worse.

Thanks for the reply and I hope things get better for you.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
    nick89
    (male)

nick89 HB User

phello, please do give an update so i know how your doing. reactions to avelox are very common. the so called 1 percent reaction percentage is absolute bull crap its actually upwards to 60 percent. the thing is most peopel experience reactions weeks after stopping so they dont relate it to the drug.there is lots of information out there on these poisons. the fda knows what these drugs do yet they do nothing to stop the pain and suffering. theres over 1500 people on the yahoo support group who have experienced a reaction to quinolones like avelox. [url]http://**************.yahoo.com/group/quinolones/[/url]
    hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread