It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Panic with stopped up nose!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-28-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
    catcopy
    (female)

catcopy HB User
    Panic with stopped up nose!

When I get a cold and my nose feels stopped up I go into panic attacks. I feel claustrophobic (I guess is the way to describe it). I can't eat, I can't drink liquids, nor can I sleep. I'm not suppose to take any decongestant meds since I have high blood pressure. Also, is there any way to keep a cold from going down into your chest? It seems like I can't get a cold any more without it causing my chest to get tight and hurt and again THAT scares me. I hate colds! You'd think that after ALL these years someone could come up with a way to get rid of them wouldn't ya? Does anyone else have this silly problem or does anyone know a quick way to "unclog" a stopped up nose??!! Sometimes when I have a cold I get more things done because I'm too "wound up" to relax!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
    Ursa_minor
    (female)

Ursa_minor HB User
    Re: Panic with stopped up nose!

last time i had a cold like that, i bought a warm steam humidifier. the kind that you can put vicks medicine for humidifiers in. i also bought some nasal strips that people use to reduce snoring. it worked wonders. i was still a little stopped up, but i could at least breathe a little more than before.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
    frankiesmom
    (female)

frankiesmom HB User

MUCINEX!!! It works wonders.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #4
    Passion1965
    (female)

Passion1965 HB User

Right now, I have a horrible cold.I had the worst night sleep....stuffed up, coughing, sore throat, and nothing helps. It started a week ago, and just seems to be getting worse. I'd rather have a stomach virus! At least they just last a day or two.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:29 AM   #5
    moonpeep
    Inactive

moonpeep HB User

The best way to avoid the symptoms of a cold is to avoid it in the first place. How?

Use cold-eeze zinc losenges at the FIRST sign of a cold -- the sore throat. And keep using them every hour you can. (it's either 2 or 4 hours) I'm telling you this has without a doubt stopped colds right in their tracks for me. They never really get past the mildly sore throat stage - no bad stuffy nose, no congested chest.

[removed]

The key is to start using them as soon as you feel that sore throat start... the first little thing you notice, take one. I rarely get colds anymore because of these things... and when I do, they're pretty dang mild and managable. (and I'm a man who does NOT tolerate stuffy noses)

Also look into zicam nasal spray. These things are the closest we have to a cure for the common cold -- use them.

Now, IF you do end up with a nasty stuffy nose, I'd reccommend using an afrin type nasal spray for a few nights to get you through the worst of it. It's true there is a rebound affect from Afrin, however, as long as you're disciplined and don't stay on it for more than 3-4 days, you'll be ok.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-31-2006 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Please read and follow the posting rules.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #6
    tigger_girl76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tigger_girl76 HB User

I know exactly how you feel! I just recently got over the WORST sinus infection/cold I've ever had. I could not breathe at all and I felt like I was going to panic. In the end I went to the doctor and got some antibiotics. That was the only thing that was going to clear the sinus infection. Vicks also helps temporarily.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
    Kathrin74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Can you take nasal drops or sprays for decongestion? Check with your doctor. Drops usually work wonders for me.

Kathrin

Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
    Ava_31
    (female)

Ava_31 HB User

I was just sick with a horrible cold/flu. My nose was so stuffy...some nights it was so hard to sleep. I did not have an infection, but what I did was, since I don't like to take any type of med's. I ate nothing but fresh fruit every day, homemade soup, along with eating a small spoonful of Really Raw Honey and drank an 8 oz. glass of water with 1-2 tsps of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Both have tons of enzymes in it to help your body! I started to feel better after doing this 3 days after feeling sick and it felt like it was getting worse.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
    Kathrin74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I had a cold/flu a couple weeks ago that started feeling better and then it got worse again.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
    missy101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

missy101 HB User

I just wanted to tell you that I am having the same reaction. I am prone to anxiety (take meds for it actually) and I also cannot take cold meds (heart thing). So I hear ya!! I am dealing with it right now and feel like i am going nuts!!

Closed Thread