It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• worried - flu with lymph node issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
    uk_worried_guy
    (male)

uk_worried_guy HB User
    worried - flu with lymph node issues

Hello Healthboards!

I've got a bit of a worry....

Been ill all week with what (the doc suspects) is flu (or a similar viral illness)... I've had....

- 4 days with fever (ranging from 101->103) which has now (largely) abated

- headaches & pressured sinuses

- runny nose

- BAD cough, often productive

- lack of appetite, and vomiting/nausea

- slightly sore throat with inflamed tonsils (doctors observatoin).

- Extreme fatigue

I'm now 5 days in, and im feeling a bit better, fever seems to have gone, but still very tired, but all the 'lymph nodes' in my neck have inflamed, from just under my ear and down the side of my neck and shoulders and (i think) behind my ear?

Is it normal that with a flu-like viral illness that the lymph nodes would swell like this? i assume that they are just part of the normal immune drainage system, and so they would do.

HOWEVER..

A close friend of mine has had quite serious glandular fever, and i have spent some time with him over the past month, just general stuff, like when we've all been for lunch or out for some drinks etc, he was in hospital with it, and me and some friends went to visit, and as paranoid as it sounds - he was coughing & spluttering a bit around us.

The doctor said that whilst it is contagious, glandular fever isn't as easily contagious as things like colds etc BUT with the raised lymphs and continued tiredness, i'm worried it may be glandular fever. Doctor also said that glandular fever presents with 'telltale' mouth changes (roof of mouth) and more with tonsillitis, not with just inflamed tonsils (which are a normal immune response).

I am a bit worried here - and just want some re-assurance that the swollen lymphs are pretty normal... and also some re-assurance about my glandular fever worry!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
    dompierre5
    Inactive
    (female)

dompierre5 HB User
    Re: worried - flu with lymph node issues

Hi ,
    Sounds perfectly normal, lymph nodes can swell with any viral or bacterial illness. Your body is fighting the infection. Your ok

Old 02-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
    uk_worried_guy
    (male)

uk_worried_guy HB User
    Re: worried - flu with lymph node issues

Thanks for the response :-) throats been 'ok' throughout - but todays been quite sore. I'm really hoping its not Glandular Fever (EB) as i had about 1.5yrs of health issues, and thought i'd FINALLY got myself back to good health again - this would really scupper me.

Closed Thread