It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Head Pressure and possible flu ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
    greg30127
    (male)

greg30127 HB User
    Head Pressure and possible flu ?

I placed this in the headache forum but due to the updated symptoms I'm going to place it here as well if it's ok and no one minds.

I didn't find a generic "head issues" type of room so I'll post here if it's ok.

What I've had happen to me a few times in the last few months isn't really a head "ache", but more of an odd pressure instead, on one side of my head.

Example: On the left side of my head, just above my ear, is where this pressure seems to originate. Sometimes mild, sometimes more pronounced. Again, it's not painful at all - just pressure. It's ALMOST like a sinus type pressure, but it does not extend to behind my nasal area or above/behind my eyes like normal sinus problems do (for me, anyway). The pressure seems to cover an area overall from must behind and just forward of my left ear, to above it (where it's the most pronounced), nearly to the top of my head on the left side and a little bit just behind my left eye (but it again my vision is not affected.

Now, my vision is not affected. Still 20/20 and not at all blurry or anything. My speach is fine, no jerking of muscles, no pain anywhere else, etc. However, when this is occuring there is just a bit of what I've seen phrased on here called a "brain fog"... meaning my ability to focus on SOME things seems compromised - like driving. I can still drive, but if I'm in heavy traffic it makes me nervous - almost a similar foggy feeling like what you get when you take a Benadryl and it starts to kick in, if that makes sense.

This feeling sometimes last one day, sometimes up to three.

I will point out that I'm in my early 40s, and when I was 15, I was run over by a car (hit me from behind at high speed). I did at that time suffer head injuries. This is why I got paranoid and started the "OMG time delayed brain tumor" stuff, but the symptoms are not consistant with what I've been reading online about that. Again - vision, body is otherwise fine, except for the pressure and a bit of "fogginess" feeling.

I of course realize a visit to the doctor is the most recommended thing, but the company I work for right now is in-between health insurance carriers and I'm currently not covered AT ALL by anyone. Unless someone has heard of this and the cause is one of those, "OMG get to the ER NOW" kind of things, it would financially put me in dire straits to go through a bunch of tests at this time. I was just fishing around to see if this could just maybe be some normal thing that I'm freaking out about for no reason, like air pressure affecting my head, stress, etc.

UPDATE: (8/7/07): Well as of today the pressure was still there, but when I got home I took the dogs out for a few minutes. VERY hot today - 98 degrees and humid with a heat index of 105. I was only out for a few minutes, but got very sick feeling. Almost flu like symptoms... the head pressure was still there, but I also was a bit light headed, and got that sore/tingly feeling all throughout my legs and back like you get when you're sick with the flu.

They stuck with me and I went to bed and slept for hours. As of 10pm tonight I still have all of those feelings but not quite as bad. I'm wondering if the head pressure was just a prequil to this? Maybe a summer flu, or I hope not, but I've read that West Nile has symptoms similar to this and it IS in the Atlanta area this year (where I am).

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
    greg30127
    (male)

greg30127 HB User
    Re: Head Pressure and possible flu ?

Update 8/18/07:

Ok, obviously no one is ever going to answer this that has had something similar happen but I'll do an update anyway.

The flu-like symptoms I had were due to a bug that is going around my area. Due to the excessive heat in my area (Atlanta) people have been staying indoors a lot more like they do in winter, so a bug has been going around, and that was the cause of THAT. However, my head problem continues.

I went on antibiotics in order to counteract any possibility of sinus infection, etc. After a couple of days on them the head pressure seemed to go away, but returned after a couple of days. After nearing completion of my antibiotics a couple of days ago, it subsided but again, has returned.

I guess eventually I'm going to bite the financial bullet and go to a doctor. I have no insurance so the prospect of $$$ for varied tests isn't good, but since no one has had a similar experience on here where they can say, "it is probably XXX or XXX", then that may be my only choice - tests. Anyway, that's my update.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post
    Update 8/18/07:

Ok, obviously no one is ever going to answer this that has had something similar happen but I'll do an update anyway.

The flu-like symptoms I had were due to a bug that is going around my area. Due to the excessive heat in my area (Atlanta) people have been staying indoors a lot more like they do in winter, so a bug has been going around, and that was the cause of THAT. However, my head problem continues.

I went on antibiotics in order to counteract any possibility of sinus infection, etc. After a couple of days on them the head pressure seemed to go away, but returned after a couple of days. After nearing completion of my antibiotics a couple of days ago, it subsided but again, has returned.

I guess eventually I'm going to bite the financial bullet and go to a doctor. I have no insurance so the prospect of $$$ for varied tests isn't good, but since no one has had a similar experience on here where they can say, "it is probably XXX or XXX", then that may be my only choice - tests. Anyway, that's my update.
    I am sorry that you have not feeling well. I just returned from my doctor who side that I had something like a cold that is going around. He said that a lot of his patients have been coming in with symptoms of flu or cold symptoms. I have not been feeling well for about a week. I first thought I was getting a cold, but my joint/body aches was more like a flu. I also had chills w/o fever. What made me go to the doctor was the head pressure and swelling in my neck. Turns out that what ever it was I got last week turned into a sinus infection. So now on antibiotic for that with decongestions to releave the head pressure. All I could do is sleep under a cover for the past week. I have not felt this bad since I got the flu back in the 70's. I though that I had mono since I was so tired, swollen glands and fever. But my doc said no, just a bug which caused my sinus infection. I hate being sick, to much to do and too little time. I hope you feel better soon too.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
    topaz49
    (female)

topaz49 HB User

To: GREG30127 I read your posts tonight. I am new to this forum. I also live in the Atlanta area. The reason you're not getting any replies, (in my opinion) is probably because nobody else has had that weird feeling you described over your ear on the side of your head. Hope by now you are feeling better. kb

Closed Thread