It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Question about Upper Respiratory Infection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dreams in neon HB Userdreams in neon HB User
    Question about Upper Respiratory Infection

I've been sick with an upper respiratory infection for the past week and have been experiencing a dry cough, sneezing, congestion and a sore throat.

My doctor prescribed Amoxicillan and cough syrup, but I'm still sneezing and coughing.

How long can I expect this to last? My symptoms aren't getting better.
    Prozac 40mg
    Risperdal 1mg titrating to 6mg/day
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)
    Trazodone 100mg or 200mg PRN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2008, 05:31 AM   #2
    Johands333
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Johands333 HB UserJohands333 HB User
    Re: Question about Upper Respiratory Infection

Dreams,
    Sorry to hear you have all that and your carpal tunnel too. Doctors put you on the weakest antibiotic first to see if it works. Then if not, they will give you something stronger. The reason for this is that if you got used to the stronger antibiotics first, then eventually even they wouldn't work. I'd suggest going back to your doctor and see if he'll give you something stronger. The symptoms you describe seem to be going around. My daughter has it, my brother & SIL have had it and my other daughter thinks she's getting it. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Upper respiratory tract infections are usually viruses. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. You will have this for 7-14 days whatever you do. Save the antibiotic for if/when you develop bronchitis or pneumonia. Then it will work quicker.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johands333 View Post
    Dreams,
    Sorry to hear you have all that and your carpal tunnel too. Doctors put you on the weakest antibiotic first to see if it works. Then if not, they will give you something stronger. The reason for this is that if you got used to the stronger antibiotics first, then eventually even they wouldn't work. I'd suggest going back to your doctor and see if he'll give you something stronger. The symptoms you describe seem to be going around. My daughter has it, my brother & SIL have had it and my other daughter thinks she's getting it. I hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks, Johands.

Yes, unfortunately my CTS is making me feel worse than I already do.

So far I've been drinking hot lemonade with honey and sucking on cough drops which are both helping to soothe my sore throat.

However, I can't seem to do anything for the congestion, coughing and sneezing. My doctor prescribed Allegra-D (in addition to Amoxicillan and cough syrup), but it's not having any positive effect on the congestion.

I'll take your advice and go back to my doctor for a stronger antibiotic prescription.

Thanks for your reply.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
    dreams in neon
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Upper respiratory tract infections are usually viruses. Antibiotics do not work on viruses. You will have this for 7-14 days whatever you do. Save the antibiotic for if/when you develop bronchitis or pneumonia. Then it will work quicker.
    Thanks for your reply.

I think my doctor prescribed the Amoxicillan because I was sneezing constantly and had frequent coughing spells the day I saw her.

I've heard there is a chance I could develop bronchitis following a URI. Is this true and if so, what steps can I take to prevent this from happening?

A very good friend of mine who had a URI last winter told me the dry cough I have could linger for another month. Is that true as well?

Thanks again for responding to my question.
    Prozac 40mg
    Klonopin .5mg (2x/day)

Closed Thread