It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Entire family has been sick for a month

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
    tristana
    (female)

tristana HB User
    Entire family has been sick for a month

Everyone has been sick for a month and no one seems to be getting well. We will start to get well then relapse. My husband, me, my grown daughter and her 4 year old daughter have been sick all this time. Our 2 year old grandson seems to be doing ok, but he is the only one.
    I had acute bronchitis and have been to the ER and then a follow up to the Dr. My husband has been to the ER. My daughter is toughing it out with no health insurance. Me and my husband have had antibiotics and I also have an inhaler to help. I havent been this sick in years. It is kind of scary when you keep relapsing.
    Ok thats the background, and my question is this: Is anyone else experiencing any flu/cold/bronchitis sickness where they arent getting well and it doesnt seem to be ending? I just want to know if anyone else is going through this neverending sickness that seems to keep relapsing. I have started to get better twice and then relapsed. Im getting better the last couple days but now my chest is hurting again. Is this some kind of virus going around that keeps people sick for weeks and weeks? I don't know of anyone else with this.
    If you can let me know if this is happening to you or anyone you know please respond. I just want to know I'm going to finally get better. Normally this wouldnt affect me mentally so bad but I already have medical issues and I am reaching the end of my mental rope with trying to fight this. It is very depressing. And tonight my granddaughter who has also been sick for a month has 102.6 temp. All this sickness is really getting me down.
    Thanks people.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
    ced
    (female)

ced HB User
    Re: Entire family has been sick for a month

I so totally understand what you'r'e saying!!! I have been sick for a month too!! Haven't gotten sick in years!! I mean years...like 10!!! I am having so much anxiety over this and I hate going to the docs...so I''ve been toughening it out too! Mainly because there are a lot of people who have told me that they've been on antibiotics at least 2x and nothing has worked. So, I've told myself that this is just a bad cold virus. I laid in bed at 2am this morning with such anxiety because the mucous felt like it was clogging my throat again and I thought I was relapsing!! Doesn't feel too bad now, but I told my husband that I just want to get better already and I don't want to get sick again! I want it out of me!!! The cough was pretty bad from the post nasal drip and I had to sit on the train each morning trying to hold my cough so that I didn't sound like typhoid Mary!!! However, the train sounds like the TB ward from everyone else coughing and I swear I've gotten sick this year because it's the first time I've had to take a train in my life everyday to work and the closed in space is getting me sick!!! I feel your pain and I'm hoping that some warmer weather is going to knock this out of here!! I'm so anxious...I can't even tell you. My husband looks at me like...it's a cold, it's going to be okay...why are you so anxious?? But, I absolutely hate having a sickness of any kind!! I just got off the phone with my mother n law and she relapsed and is on her second round of antibiotics!!! I hope you're all feeling better and I hope this crap goes the hell away soon!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
    tristana
    (female)

tristana HB User

Thanks for replying. Its actually kind of spooky that this isnt clearing up. My daughter is now on her way to the ER with my granddaughter who has been sicker longer then I have. This child usually bounces back right away when she is sick.
    Im wondering if this is one of those super viruses we've heard about that has gotten stronger over time because of the use of antibiotics.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

You need to build your immune system up naturally. Nutrients like vitamins and minerals and even herbs are the tools your body uses to fight off infection and to hel it become strong. Taking more medicines will only further lower your immune system because our bodies are not meant for chemicals and your body is only dealing with these technically foreign chemcials. Antobiotics wreak havoc on the body. These essentially kill both good and bad bacteria and leave you more vulnerable to sickness. Most people think if they are sick they need to see a doctor and get antibiotics, but most of the cures are found in your home or something you can get from the grlocery store. Try adding a lot of fresh squeezed lemon to soring water and drink several times a day. Why? It is naturally antiviral and antibacterial meaning it will go into your body and fight the infection. Same thing with garlic. Add some to pasta or just cut up fresh garlic into pill sized pieces and swallow with water. Get some echinacea for the little ones as well as the adults. Echincea is from a marigold flower, but it is a deep immune system builder. I have a 2.5 year old toddler who had yet to be sick in her life. There is a brand called Herbs for Kids, they make the echinacea and adults can take this in pill form. You can also buy liquid vitamin C and add to juice or give it straight. Look up how to build your immune systems naturally, it is your ONLY defense to prevent sickness and heal.
    It you guys were taking antibiotics, you need to go to the grocery and get some probiotics yogurt to assist the re-growth of good bacteria that the antibiotics have killed off in your bodies.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
    tristana
    (female)

tristana HB User

ok thanks for the information.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Yes, this is a bad respiratory bug that is hitting many people.

Remember, everytime someone sneezes or coughs it creates a germ laden cloud 6' to 10' around the person. After the person has moved on and others walk thru the germ laden cloud they too will inhale enough germs to become sick.

Everyone should cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze, with hand or cough into bent elbow area. This keeps germs from being sprayed so far away from the person.

Best for each family member to have their own hand towel or everyone use paper towels and toss to help prevent re-contamination.

Every family member should wear a mask during this time. Yeah, I wore a mask to the doctor's office the other day, did not want others germs to go with mine or mine to be given to them. I got sick because a patient in the waiting room when I went for lab was coughing without putting his hand over his mouth and I was sprayed with germs while signing in at the window.

Do not eat after each other, not even a nibble left on a plate, toss it, better in the garbage than more germs inside of you. Person cooking for family should wear disposable gloves and wash hands often during preparation. It is amazing how many people will blow their nose, not wash hands, then go on handling food others will eat. This keeps germs travelling from one member to the other and back again.

Needless to say, this is not the time to kiss anyone.

Here are some things I did while sick with what I call upper respiratory " krud":

Irrigate sinuses using saline solution. This helps to clean out the sinuses. Do this morning and night. If you need instructions, ask, and I will post them.

Use either a cold mist or heat vaporizer to add moisture into the dry air.

Mucinex in either the 600 mg. or 1200 mg. strength helps to thin mucous. This is over counter med., take morning and night. Mucinex is same ingredient as Robitussin but much stronger.

Plain Robitussin just before bed will help keep mucous thinned in the throat over night. Throat will not be so sore next morning. Peditrician told me to give this to our children and I decided if it was good for children it would be good for adults too, it works.

Halls cough drops with menthol helps too.

A good cough medicine, a prescription strength to help reduce constant coughing.

A boat load of tissues and everyone put their used ones in trash can so no one else needs to touch them.

I think I see a light at end of the tunnel for me and hope you do too.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
    tristana
    (female)

tristana HB User

thanks for the tips

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If you build up your immune system natually you can sit in a room full of sick people and not get sick......that is how it works and the only real way to prevent sickness. Believe me, my daughter is going on 3 and hasn't been sick in her life because I practice prevention. Anytime our my freind and her daughter come over, and they are ALWAYS SICK, I make sure Alexa is taking echincea, extra liquid vitamin C and extra vitamins in addition to a decent food. We use essential oils in the bath that are naturally antiviral and antibacterial and the skin will absorb the properties into the body and it fights any sickness off the real way. Medicines that you buy only suppress what you are feeling and thy never cure or heal you. I don;t understand why some will down Tylenol and cold medicine day and night, but walk right by lemons, healthy foods, garlic, vitamins and never consider for a second that those things are the key.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
    miche31
    Veteran
    (female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

I live in Montana and am working on my 3rd upper respiratory infection since November. It too keeps relapsing in people here. I have not been sick in a long time. Unfortunately, I have always taken very good care of myself, I do meditation, I take my Echinacea, Goldenseal and Elderberry when needed, I love my herbs, always a daily vitamin C, good vitamins, good probiotics, lemons I love, garlic I love, but still, this one was a whopper and kicked my butt. I don't like Tylenol or antibiotics but I do believe it can get to a point that you just may eventually need antibiotics when the natural is not working and your getting close to pneumonia. I'm frustrated with this that's for sure. I'm trying every natural thing I can find to get my immune system strong again but I feel like this one just keeps winning. I have been on an antibiotic twice now too, even though I didn't want to, I know it was necessary. Now that it is coming back again, I'm trying to figure out how to avoid the meds and get my immune system up again.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
    tristana
    (female)

tristana HB User

Yes, we have always recovered normally from our illnesses, it seems to be done with us now but when all of us kept getting sick over and over it just seemed strange. I've heard other people in my area making comments about it too.

Ours was also upper respiratory. Hope you get better soon.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

If symptoms don't improve, or change, you might want to consider lyme disease which often starts out "mimicking" the cold/flu...

Bethsheba

Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
    AlexaIn2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

This may sound strange, but have you noticed long white streaks in your skies often left by "airplanes?" They are called chemical trails. They are not from regular aircraft carrying passengers, but from aircraft that fly high and are unmarked filled with spray tanks. These long white streak will feather out into "clouds." Basically scientists found that these chemicals falling from the sky are toxic and contain barium and aluminum among other things and when areas are sprayed there is a hike in upper respiratory sickness. I live in California and I am from Iowa. I have seen spraying all over. I find that it usually coincides with flu season and through the winter months for the most part. Something to think about. I usually try to avoid going outside with my daughter on these days to avoid exposure and I close my windows and keep my ionic breeze on. We also take more echinacea and vitamins to ensure we stay healthy enough to fight off any invading infections. Hope you guys feel better soon,

Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
    seagoddess
    (female)

seagoddess HB User

this bug has been going around here in California for months. my doctor has had it for 3 months. he is nearly recovered now.....so hang in there, it will go away.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
    tristana
    (female)

tristana HB User

I finally did get over it. It had developed into bronchitis and I had to take antibiotics. My grandkids both got strep throat from it and my husband also needed antibiotics. I do not normally run to the doctor for things like that but I woke up at 4 am one morning and felt so weak I could barely move. It felt like I wasnt getting enough air and I sat on my bed for an hour wondering what to do. I finally just had someone take me to the ER. My temp was almost 103 which has only happened to me one other time in my life when I had pnuemonia. This has been the worst winter in many years for us sickwise. I hadnt been sick with a cold or virus in several years.

Closed Thread