It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Colds & Flu Message Board

• Sore Throat

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
    elite gm
    (male)

elite gm HB User
    Sore Throat

I have nasal allergies that come and go. When I was younger they were really bad and over time as Ive gotten older Ive become less dependent on antihistamines. Now I rarely take them.

Anyway. I get frequent sore throats, that usually are mild and go away then next day. Sometimes they turn into a cold. I have always related them to my allergies, but I am not sure what the exact link is, or maybe my allergies just lower my immunity and open me up to infection.

So last night I started feeling the type of sore throat where I know Im getting a cold. I usually get about 3 colds a year. Today I woke up knowing I am sick...I just feel drained, throat very sore, post nasal drip, eyes burny, etc.

What intigues me, is that when I eat something, the sore throat goes from feeling raw and horrible to nearly non-existant. And anyone Ive ever told this to looks at me like Im crazy. So, to me, eating solid food while Im sick with a sore throat is a huge relief. I have never known it any other way. I am assuming most people are opposite?

Also, I have never had strep. When I was younger and had serious sore throats, the test for bacterial (strep) always came back negative and the doc always said it was a standard viral cold...nothing to take. So I dont go anymore...and they usually clear up anywhere between 2-5 days.

Can anyone relate to this?

Last edited by elite gm; 01-24-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Sore Throat

elite gm,

Perhaps you should concentrate on strengthening your immune system. That includes everything like getting a good night's sleep, exercising, avoiding stress and eating a balanced diet of natural whole foods.

I can't even remember what it's like to get a cold because it's been so many years since I had one.

I did start getting sore throats a while back but I noticed that it would happen several hours after eating salted pistachios. I subsequently tried rinsing off the salt and that solved the problem. And I discovered that they taste just as good without the salt.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
    elite gm
    (male)

elite gm HB User
    Re: Sore Throat

Well, I do all of those things. In fact, as of Jan 1 I have been eating healthy consistently. Ive almost got my abs back.

I am also very active and make myself get at least 8 hours of sleep a night... I never get any other type of illness, it is always a cold. I never have stomach issues or flu or anything. I guess I just have a weakness to the common cold. :/ I suppose it could be worse.

Closed Thread