It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

Do you trust patient reviews of surgeons?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
mrsleeve
(male)

mrsleeve HB User
Do you trust patient reviews of surgeons?

I want to get a chin implant. Almost every cosmetic surgeon that I have looked up online has some bad or not so great reviews. I don't know how much to believe the reviews. I know you almost always find bad reviews for things like a product or a contractor but when it comes to surgeons it's harder to ignore unfavorable comments.

I have gotten several recommendations for surgeons from my primary care doctor. I have also looked at a list of the top area doctors (selected by their peers). So maybe I should just go with one of those surgeons and not pay attention to the patient reviews.

Any advice on how to select a good surgeon?

Last edited by Administrator; 10-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Do you trust patient reviews of surgeons?

Here's something you might try. Hospitals often have a nurse on duty who will give a recommendation over the phone. Then you can see if it coincides with other recommendations. I would think a hospital needs to maintain a good reputation so would make sure to recommend a doctor that gets good results.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
mrsleeve
(male)

mrsleeve HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
Here's something you might try. Hospitals often have a nurse on duty who will give a recommendation over the phone. Then you can see if it coincides with other recommendations. I would think a hospital needs to maintain a good reputation so would make sure to recommend a doctor that gets good results.

Thanks.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I have had plastic surgery from a car accident I was in many years ago. Since then, I have had two additional surgeries due to growth. I think the very best way to choose a surgeon- ANY surgeon (even a general one for non emergency surgery) is to interview them and ask for pictures of their work.

All plastic surgeons take before and after pictures. They also offer free consultations. Book an appointment to "meet" the doctor- ask to see his or her work, get a feel for their personality- and also a price for the surgery if its cosmetic. Most cosmetic procedures are not covered by insurance.

Some surgeons have amazing bedside manner and will instantly make you feel at ease- others might come across as gruff or rude- some will have pictures of exactly what you are hoping to accomplish and others might have pictures which do not impress you. Until you meet the doctor and see their work- you really do not know if it works for you.

I had a non emergency gall bladder surgery a year ago. I was given 7 days to get it removed. I went to the surgeon my GI doctor recommended and HATED him. He was rude and dry and he acted like he was doing me a favor. I went home and cried. My friend mentioned another doctor who worked in the same office who she really liked. The next morning, I called and asked if I could come in and meet this doctor. Loved her immediately and actually booked the surgery for the next day. I never regretted it.

Call around and ask if you can come in for a consult. Youll know who you are comfortable with and who you arent. Personally, I do not trust reviews. You never know if they are put up by friends of a friend. Go with your gut! And good luck!

Old 10-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
mrsleeve
(male)

mrsleeve HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
I have had plastic surgery from a car accident I was in many years ago. Since then, I have had two additional surgeries due to growth. I think the very best way to choose a surgeon- ANY surgeon (even a general one for non emergency surgery) is to interview them and ask for pictures of their work.

All plastic surgeons take before and after pictures. They also offer free consultations. Book an appointment to "meet" the doctor- ask to see his or her work, get a feel for their personality- and also a price for the surgery if its cosmetic. Most cosmetic procedures are not covered by insurance.

Some surgeons have amazing bedside manner and will instantly make you feel at ease- others might come across as gruff or rude- some will have pictures of exactly what you are hoping to accomplish and others might have pictures which do not impress you. Until you meet the doctor and see their work- you really do not know if it works for you.

I had a non emergency gall bladder surgery a year ago. I was given 7 days to get it removed. I went to the surgeon my GI doctor recommended and HATED him. He was rude and dry and he acted like he was doing me a favor. I went home and cried. My friend mentioned another doctor who worked in the same office who she really liked. The next morning, I called and asked if I could come in and meet this doctor. Loved her immediately and actually booked the surgery for the next day. I never regretted it.

Call around and ask if you can come in for a consult. Youll know who you are comfortable with and who you arent. Personally, I do not trust reviews. You never know if they are put up by friends of a friend. Go with your gut! And good luck!
Thank you.

Reply Reply

Tags
reviews