It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Laser surgery for spider veins?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2004, 07:58 PM   #1
    Ornament
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ornament HB User
    Laser surgery for spider veins?????

Hi everyone -

Has anyone ever had this done? I've had the injections on my thighs, but I'm left with lots of bruising. This was done at the end of Sept., and the bruises are still there. My doctor gave me a bleaching cream to fade the areas, but it doesn't seem to be doing very much. Now, he's talking about using the laser, but I'm confused, at first he said the veins were too large to laser and they needed injections. But, now since the bruises appeared, the laser seems to be his solution, but before I wasn't a good candidate for it, so now I'm confused.
    Any thoughts? Past experiences???? Wondering, -Orn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Post Re: Laser surgery for spider veins?????

Hi Ornament,

I too have had doctors say many things regarding my varicose veins and spider veins that can be really confusing, because most of them don't care enough, don't understand the disease enough, or are just making a quick buck. I've also heard that staining is VERY common with the injections. Though, if your doctor stated that the veins were too large in the first place to have the laser done and now he wants to do the laser because of brusing after the injections, I'd questioned him on why he's doing this.
    How bad is the bruising? Was it varicose veins or spider veins that you've had done? I too have been looking into getting injections done for my varicose veins, though I'm really confused myself. I'm planning on waiting until after I have all my children, atleast that's what all my doctors have been tell me too. I've also heard that the injections can be painful? Did the injections hurt when you had it done? I too am trying to find out what ever I can about the injection. I guess that how we learn from each other

Old 01-14-2004, 08:55 PM   #3
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    Re: Laser surgery for spider veins?????

I have had laser surgery for spider veins.

Would say lasted 2 years and now back to square 1.

1 treatment I recall was $350.00

Old 01-19-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ornament
    Hi everyone -

Has anyone ever had this done? I've had the injections on my thighs, but I'm left with lots of bruising. This was done at the end of Sept., and the bruises are still there. My doctor gave me a bleaching cream to fade the areas, but it doesn't seem to be doing very much. Now, he's talking about using the laser, but I'm confused, at first he said the veins were too large to laser and they needed injections. But, now since the bruises appeared, the laser seems to be his solution, but before I wasn't a good candidate for it, so now I'm confused.
    First, what type of laser is he planning on using? It is my understanding that the lasers that are used to eliminate varicose veins are not the same as the lasers that are used to "clean up", if you will, staining as a post-sclerotherapy complication. I would need to hear more before, I became too worried. However, if indeed, he is backtracking in his thinking on your veins, you need to question him as to why, like Aries said.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:44 PM   #5
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fuchsia_Lay
    I have had laser surgery for spider veins.

Would say lasted 2 years and now back to square 1.

1 treatment I recall was $350.00
    Could you please expound upon the type of laser procedure to which you are referring so that I might be better able to decipher the information which you have provided? Was this a laser surgery procedure in which a bare laser fiber catheter is inserted into your vein and then fired or is this an external laser procedure used for spider veins? Do you remember the name of the procedure at all? Knowing that would help a lot.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ornament
    Hi everyone -

It strikes me as a very unique set of circumstances in which sclerotherapy would be preferred to one of the endovenous laser procedures. Which kind of laser procedure had you undergone?

Old 01-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #7
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User

Do you know why they can't get all the veins with EVLT?
    It seems like it's a promising procedure though.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
    jch

jch HB User

Which of the laser treatments are best for small facial spider veins around the nose area. I was told by my doctor that he would use IPL(which is several treatments), but than I have heard other people say that a dermatologist can zap them in one visit using a different laser. Don't want it to be more involved than it needs to be.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jch
    Which of the laser treatments are best for small facial spider veins around the nose area. I was told by my doctor that he would use IPL(which is several treatments), but than I have heard other people say that a dermatologist can zap them in one visit using a different laser. Don't want it to be more involved than it needs to be.
    I am not even sure that a laser treatment is necessary for the condition of which you speak. There is a procedure that is known as electrodesication. It involves the use of a tiny needle that is supplied with a slight electrical current that will basically cauterize a small spider vein. It is simple and can be done very quickly and easily. Also, the only complication or problem of which I am aware is that there may be a small depression left that resembles a pore, but bear in mind that many times the spider veins are in a network so several of them are eliminated with one *****. I would see if you can find a highly recommended dermatologist who can perform this procedure. It seems very easy, quick and I believe that it might be much more cost-effective.

Old 01-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #10
    DzzRed66
    (female)

DzzRed66 HB User

I've had the laser type treatment without any pain numb lotion for my legs. Don't know if that was the cause. I have a high tolerance of pain. I had it done 2x. Spider veins didn't go away. I called them. So they did me 2 more times, within a week, no lotion to numb. I'm still discouraged. My veins haven't went away. These aren't veirocorse (spell?)...spider veins mostly. I guess I'll have to give up, and wait to summer, and put the tanning lotion on my legs...

Yvette

Old 01-27-2004, 12:21 AM   #11
    julana

julana HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jch
    I had mine done with a laser (in one visit) by an aesthetician, but they did come back after several months. So maybe the injections might be the way to go. If you find out the best route to go please post, I'd like to try something again.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #12
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by julana
    I had mine done with a laser (in one visit) by an aesthetician, but they did come back after several months. So maybe the injections might be the way to go. If you find out the best route to go please post, I'd like to try something again.
    OMG...This site is so confusing. In order to get rid of varicose veins of the legs with a laser it has to be a laser that is inserted into the vein via a catheter and then fired. No one is explaining the type of procedure that they tried. It sounds like a lot of people just listened to their doctor without doing research first unless I am misunderstanding the type of laser that was used.

Please explain the procedure so that we can better understand whether your situation applies to us before you vehemently discourage everyone from a possibly effective procedure.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:07 PM   #13
    accu

accu HB User

I don't have this problem...thank goodness!!!

But I read in some articles that Vitamin K is supposed to be good for spider veins. You can get this creme or lotion at drug stores.

Old 02-14-2004, 11:56 PM   #14
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User

The information is very well appreciated. However, most people say that the use of topical treatments for the elimination of this problem is ineffectual.

Old 02-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #15
    coppertone

coppertone HB User

I know that laser surgery will remove spider veins, but more than likely you will get others in the future. I have done sclerotherapy. it worked, but it seems now I have new ones. I guess it is that I am prone to them. I am thinking of the laser though since I hated the injections!

Closed Thread