It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Spider Vein Sclerotherapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2004, 01:15 AM   #1
    LVJulie

LVJulie HB User
    The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Spider Vein Sclerotherapy

I had both legs injected last summer in the San Fernando Valley of L.A., before I moved to Las Vegas, NV, in the fall. It was painful having both done at the same time, but I went to a highly recommended dermatologist and was told the results would be worth it. I paid over $400 to have both legs, front and back, done at the same time. I wore support hose sporadically afterwards. I wasn't instructed much beyond that.

I have very fair skin, so my veins stand out. Plus there is a history of spider veins in my family, on both sides. So I have THAT working against me already. I almost wish I didn't ever have it done. The results have been mixed, at best. Some veins went away; other new ones popped up that hadn't been there before. In Las Vegas I went to a new dermatologist who injected more veins. Maybe it was the needles he used or his technique, but the two areas I had him redo were even more painful this time around. They had me wearing support hose even when going to bed, after each treatment. No hot showers, no hot tubbing. Still not much change after my second series of treatments, at a cost of $60+ for each area done. They said that it could take up to a YEAR for me to see changes. My doctor in L.A. never said that. I have had some brown discoloration near my ankles, which is starting to slightly fade.

My question is: have you had this done and how were your results? Would you have it done repeatedly over time, just to keep the spider veins in line? Was it worth it to you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
    pfunk
    Inactive

pfunk HB User
    Re: The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Spider Vein Sclerotherapy

Spider veins cannot be properly treated without treating the underlying veins that feed them. It is not clear to me from your post that your doctor set about the task of treating the underlying problem before moving to the superficial spider veins. As a result I wonder if the information or service that you received may have been lacking.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #3
    brandbr

brandbr HB User

I had my spider veins treated as well. Through my research, I learned any doctor that treats them absolutely should perform an ultrasound prior to the schelerotherapy to detect if there are problems with the deeper main vein valves first. If there are no problems with the deeper veins, then he should continue with schelerotherapy. If there are problems with the main veins, then those main veins need corrected or you will end up with new spider veins in other locations later. In other words, if you had schelerotherapy on certain spider veins and your main deeper veins were bad, the spider veins you had treated will disappear but you will end up with more spider veins down the road in other locations.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
    LVJulie

LVJulie HB User

Thanks for the input. I may have to go back to the doctor and have them check me out more thoroughly.

Closed Thread