It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2004, 03:02 PM   #16
    beverg

beverg HB User
    Re: Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

HI Elle

I hate to seem nosy, excuse the pun, but what was the total that you spent on your nose. What was wrong with it or what didn't you like about it to begin with. When I look back, I see that I am so sorry that I ever touched mine. It was something that bothered me, but I should have moved on and let it go. For 25 years now I regret the decision and I have actually lost sleep over it.
    I am sharing this with you because I know you understand what I am going thru. You know what it does to your mind and confidence. With all the changes in procedures I am willing to take another chance of making a change.

Take Care
    Bev

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #17
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User
    Smile Re: Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

I honestly can't recall exactly what the total cost of the surgery with Dr. Tobias was. I know that it was around 4000 on my end (plus around 1000 for anesthesia) and I had a deviated septum so they billed by insurance some. The second Tobias surgery was free except for anesthesia (and hotel and expenses.) The Toriumi surgery was between 10 and 11 thousand for everything, including anesthesia and the surgical center. He charged me less because my insurance wouldn't pay for anything since the surgery was purely cosmetic. (I should say that I have been reading some stories about Dr. Michael Sachs and I almost feel bad saying anything bad about Dr. Tobias when at least my nose was entirely normal and functional after surgery with Dr. Tobias. It just didn't look as good as it should have.) Overall, I have never really regretted my decision to alter my nose. I did a lot of soul searching before embarking on this journey and I feel that it has been worth it. Even though it has been a longer, more difficult journey than I had originally thought. I am happy now - happier than I would ever have been with my original nose. And I have learned a lot about myself and about beauty and vanity. Originally, my nose was very large overall - it stuck out very far and was a little beak-like. It was also very wide from the front. The projection was what bothered me the most - I couldn't even look at my profile. Dr. Tobias thinned my nose and overall reduced the size somewhat but didn't reduce the projection. Over time, my nose became very uneven as the cartilage was not symmetrical. If you had looked at my nose from the top, downward, it was very very uneven and this caused me to look very different from different angles. In addition, I developed noticable pointiness. The assymetry, the pointiness, and the projection caused me to think it was worth a second surgery. The second surgery improved my nose overall again but also created new and undesirable characteristics. Where I never had a droopy tip, now I had one. And more pointiness in the bottom of my nose . The projection was finally better and I thought that I could live with my new nose. But then I saw a bunch of pictures of myself and the additional length and pointiness really made me less attractive. So I sought a new surgeon and did more research. I was terrified going into surgery but it all went better than I could have hoped. I wasn't in as much pain as before and when I got the bandages off I looked immediately better although still very swollen. My nose is still a little sore and swollen even now. I am very optimistic though about the outcome because I really like the way that it looks. In every sense, it is the nose that I had hoped for originally. It looks entirely natural and fits my face perfectly. It like my profile and I am grateful every day that the pointiness is gone -I hated that! Anyway, that's my story. I should also add that I think that you shouldn't be afraid to make a change now if that's what you really want. I'm definitely glad that I took the chance one more time.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #18
    blu_eyes11219
    Inactive

blu_eyes11219 HB User

I notice that everyone seems a bit confused about dr tobias. He is supposed to be one of the worst doctors to go to. I have heard some of the worst stories about him and I have met him myself. Please avoid this consultation fee...let me save you the time and money.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
    beverg

beverg HB User

Hi

What did you not like about Doc Tobias??? Did you have your nose done by someone else?? I am so glad that you posted your comment. It is very helpful. I am so glad that people are voicing imput and helping me to make my decision. My surgery will be a revision.

Old 08-29-2004, 07:31 AM   #20
    Jaquiline

Jaquiline HB User

Thanks SO MUCH elle for all of your input on this board -- you've got a lot of great advice!!! You may have just saved me from a disaster.

I've wanted to change my nose for many years, and have always said I would do it before my wedding day (which has now actually been planned for July of 2005!!! ). But life had been so incredibly busy and I never made the time. I've done research on and off for all these years, and Dr. Tobias was what I had come up with. However, after the several bad posts I don't even want to go for my consultation.

I really just want to refine the tip of my nose, which is wide and a little "up." The thing is, I have a deadline in mind -- I am getting married next summer (July of 2005). After all of the advice and information on this board, I'm interested in Dr. Toriumi, but his first surgery opening isn't until Feb 2005! Plus, I live in Boston, MA, so it's quite a trip to IL, though I am willing to go anywhere to get it right the first time. From your experience, do you think 4 months is enough time to heal from swelling etc? Do you know if Toriumi good at the type of refinement I'm thinking of? Am I totally nuts to even consider doing something like this before my big day? I know I can do this after my wedding, but I was hoping to fulfill the wish I've had for years and years...

Again, thanks so much for your time and advice -- it's much appreciated!!!!!

Old 08-30-2004, 08:15 PM   #21
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User
    Smile Re: Dr. Jeoffrey Tobias of NY and NJ

Jaquiline,

I hope that sharing my story has helped some. It is such a difficult thing to figure out! Unfortunately, I can't tell you for sure whether your nose would look acceptable for your wedding if it was only four months after surgery. I really think that good rhinoplasty looks acceptable in only a couple of weeks but it doesn't look nearly as good as the final result. And whether that would be good enough for wedding pictures - I really can't say. I personally would think it would be okay to have surgery four months before your wedding if you were okay with knowing that you would still be somewhat swollen. (There are things that you can do to minimize the swelling too - no salty foods or alcohol for the the weeks surrounding the surgery.) Anyway, your wedding is far enough away that I would suggest that you have a few consultations with recommended doctors and ask them about your concerns. Then you can make the right decision for you. Best of luck!!

Old 08-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #22
    jovanna

jovanna HB User

A good friend of mine had revision rhino with Dr Tobias and her nose was terrible. I saw photos of her 1st rhino and I thought it was fine. She convinced herself that the revision was better than her 1st surgery but people who didnt know she had rhino would say "she is cute but she needs a nose job."- It's messed up. She went back to him for a 3rd revision and he did a bit more refinement, but it basically looks the same - still kind of big. I love my friend and she's beautiful no matter what, if she's happy that's all that matters, but asthetically I feel her nose is still bulbous and too large for her face. She's tried to convince me to use him for my surgery-no way.

Last edited by jovanna; 08-31-2004 at 09:29 AM.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:13 AM   #23
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User

I think that it is really hard to admit that your surgery results are not what they should be. And in the case of a nose job, it is particularly difficult to even judge it when it takes so long for the final result to really be known. If someone had asked me soon after my surgery with Dr. Tobias if I was happy, I would have said yes. I would also have said that my nose was not everything that I had hoped but that I understood that there were limitations about what could be done. I know so much better now. But it is a really difficult process. That's a lot of the reason that I am writing on these boards - because I don't want other people to go through what I went through when so much of it could have been avoided had I gone to a good surgeon to start off.

Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 AM   #24
    jovanna

jovanna HB User

Which surgeons do you recommend? I had a consult with Dr. Sherrell Aston. A friend of mine had her nose done with him and you would never know she had anything! She is a gorgeous girl but in her before pix she's very average. The only prob is he won't show b4 and after pix- I'm skeptical about trusting my face with only ONE reference. Dr. Toriumi is in Chicago and I'm in NYC and his list is SO long to wait not to mention the travel. i won't be able to see him until Feb and that's just the consult. Any word on Dr. Kanodia in LA?

Old 08-31-2004, 02:25 PM   #25
    beverg

beverg HB User

You need to look at rhinoplasty 4 you. There are many people who share stories along with pics. There are plenty of people who talk about their surgical experiences and they have pics to prove it.A very good surgeon recommended seems to be Dr. Davis in Miami. There are also pros and cons on different docs.
    Check it ou!
    Very useful

Last edited by beverg; 08-31-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Old 08-31-2004, 05:49 PM   #26
    Jaquiline

Jaquiline HB User

Hi Bev and everyone,
    Thanks so much for all of your advice and input -- you all have really saved me a lot of pain and suffering by giving me your honest opinion about Dr. Tobias. Bev: Thanks for your kind thoughts and for your help! I have done some research too and have found a lot of great info on Dr. Toriumi -- he's featured on the cover of Chicago Magazine's "Top Doctors" report. I have also found a few "surgery journals" on the web from two of his patients and not only did they describe/show pics of excellent, artistic and fitting rhinoplasty results (one had a nose very similar to mine -- very difficult), but there were nothing but glowing comments about his staff. I have also found a site called "yes they're fake" (do a search on google). The title of the site is a little silly, but it offers a great amount of information, boards and tons of surgery journals. As with this board, the folks on it are really supportive too, and I think it's worth a look. I'll keep you posted with any further info I find, but for the moment it seems like I'll be travelling to Chicago (I live in Boston) to get the surgery w/ Toriumi. His first opening was in March of 2005!!! So, I'll be waiting until after my wedding. Probably not a good idea to make such a drastic change prior to it anyway...
    Thanks you guys -- you're awesome!!!!

Old 09-03-2004, 06:34 PM   #27
    beverg

beverg HB User

Hi Jaq

I am so glad that you are waiting for surgery!! Maybe we could go together. You have become a new friend and confident to me and I thank you so much....
    I wish nothing but the best for you...Maybe we could travel together and share a hotel suite. for our healing ...Keep that in mind...You need to get married and I need to finish my Doctorate degree..

Take Care
    Bev

Last edited by beverg; 09-03-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Old 09-06-2004, 10:46 AM   #28
    diana22

diana22 HB User

Hi everyone,
    I'm so glad I found you guys. You all sound so "nice". I actually got to this site by following a link from Rhinoplasty 4 You- that is a very good site. there are some very nice people there too and you can get a lot of information. I recommend that you check it out. Someone there was suggesting Dr. Tobias and I've been looking for a doctor in the NY Tristate area because I live in NYC. From what I've read here so far though, I don't think he's a doctor to go with. I'd like to say that I've seen a lot of positive feedback (and actually I don't think I've seen anything negative) about Dr. Richard Davis in Miami from patients of his on that site. They say he is very skilled, very nice and caring, and not expensive and I believe he does not charge anything for the consult. The only thing I've found out recently that I don't really like is that he does open rhinos and that really scares me. What are your opinions about that? Also, I'd like to hear more about Dr. Pensler- he sounds good too. And how is it with the traveling? I know you're not allowed to fly anytime soon after surgery, right? I guess I would have to get to where I'm going by car- if I decide on any of these long-distance doctors. By the way, just to let you know a little bit about myself- I had a rhino/septoplasty almost two years ago and I'm not happy because while I can breathe much better, the aesthetic change in my nose is so minimal that I'm still stuck with the nose I've HATED for almost all my life. I know you guys can understand how I feel and it's soooo good to be able to talk with people who can understand you. Everyone else tells me there's nothing wrong with my nose and that I should just leave it alone but I can't leave something alone that so affects the way I feel about myself. Anyway, I can't wait to hear from anyone who wants to write back and I wish all of you good luck!
    Diana in NYC

Old 09-06-2004, 11:11 PM   #29
    beverg

beverg HB User

Hi Di
    I was looking into Doctor Becker in Sewell New Jersey!! Have you ever heard of him???He has good education and good credentials. He is close for one thing. I ive in PA and I will also be traveling. I am still reading the posts from everyone from both boards and I have personally emailed some of the members. My nose was done about 25 years ago and I have never been pleased, but I just put up with it. I have recently been impressed with the new techniques and I am honestly glad that I waited so long to maybe make a change. The techniques are must better now and surgery has come a long way. If you are not happy with your result and I suggest that you look into making a change. Dr, Davis does sound great and professional...I am still investigating all my options..You have come to the right place to share your nose misery...I think about mine every day.....People look at me and say "What's wrong with your nose?" They do not know what I have been internally going through for the past 25 years....Please check in wih us and let us know how you are doing.. We are more than happy to offer assistance and listen to others who are having the same experience....

Bev G (pa)

Old 09-07-2004, 07:05 AM   #30
    Jaquiline

Jaquiline HB User

Hi All,
    Sounds like a plan, Bev -- would love to have a compadre to share the room cost and healing time. I don't really talk to anyone abt. my nose and wanting to have surgery, so I really appreciate the support.
    Diana: As far as the difference between "open" and "closed" surgery, "open" just allows the MD to see more clearly what's going on, and it allows for more, shall we say, detailed work. Usually there is a (are) very small incision(s) made at the base of your nose, by (or in between, or both) your nostrils. A "closed" rhino is basically exactly what it sounds like -- it can be performed when the case is less difficult by operating w/o incisions for lifting the skin. I've had both suggested by different doctors. Although it might sound a little scary, "open" is what I will opt for, since I really want/need the most careful work possible. I have not had a rhino yet, and I think (as I'm sure many on this board would agree) it's definitely worth getting the surgery right the first time, so do your research and be VERY diligent & careful picking your surgeon. As someone else on the board has said, it's only a few hours of the surgeon's time, but your nose is on your face for the rest of your life. Good luck!!!

Closed Thread