It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Set for my consultation with Dr. Pensler (Rhinoplasty) this Friday!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User
    Set for my consultation with Dr. Pensler (Rhinoplasty) this Friday!

I meet with Dr. Jay Pensler for the first time this Friday for my rhinoplasty consultation. I'm looking forward to it very much. I'm very interested in hearing what he has to say about my nose and how much its going to cost me.

Anyone else set to do this to? Or anyone who already had this done? I'd like to hear what you have to say. I'm anxious and nervous, but excited too at the same time. Let me know! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
    awfdml

awfdml HB User
    Re: Set for my consultation with Dr. Pensler (Rhinoplasty) this Friday!

Hi!

I had my consultation with Dr. Pensler about a month ago. I scheduled my surgery with him for November 15th that day.

I did alot of research on Dr. Pensler and everyone I have spoken to has nothing but positive things to say about him. I'd definitely describe him as being "real."

For the consultation, I had a list of questions that I had. There are great sites out there for some questions you can ask: Here is a good one that you can print out and take with you:

[removed]

Of course if you think of anything specific to what you'd like to ask, include that on your list.

Prior to meeting with Dr. Pensler, you will of course have to fill out a sheet indicating your current/past medicate state. When you do meet him, he will take you into his exam room. There he will look up your nose and examine your skin. If there is anything unusual on the form you filled out, he might ask some questions. For example, I'm a smoker and I had a heart murmur at one point and he asked me about that. You can then tell Dr. Pensler what it is you are wanting to change with your nose then. I had him tell me what he thought and he pretty much describe all of the things that I see wrong with my nose.

He will take several pictures of you, left/right profile, etc. He will use those pictures to do some modifications in Adobe. Of course since it's 2D and your nose is not...he cant show you everything that will change but he did show me that he had exactly the right idea of what I wanted changed. We talked about all of the details of my nose and I felt strongly that he knew what I wanted done. He prints out the pics which are nice so you can take home.

He does a good job of telling you about himself, about all of the details of the surgery. Good time to chime in here with the questions.

After he left, his assistant came in to give me some brochures and to help me set up the surgery date. I asked her alot of questions too and she answered them all. He has a very friendly staff.

I put my 500 dollar deposit down and paid for the consultation total $625 which is taken out of the cost of the overall surgery.

I did walk out feeling very good about the consultation. I am meeting with Dr. Pensler a week or so before my surgery just to make sure he still gets what I want done...(I'm doing that to calm my nerves too )

One piece of advice I can give you, dont be shy!! Ask him anything you want and make sure you write stuff down so you dont forget.

But no worries if you forget to ask him a question, you can call his office at anytime but he just asks that you have your questions prepared.

All in all it was a positive experience. I know you're probably at your consultation today! Hope it all went well!

Last edited by Guardian; 10-07-2004 at 05:33 PM. Reason: website posted against guidelines

Old 10-01-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

awfdml....
    I went to Chicago today and met with Pensler. He is a great guy. I have met with one other Dr., and I prefer Pensler definately over him.

He did exactly what you posted in your message to me. I can't believe how much of a difference one little subtle change can make to a persons appearance!

I asked about how booked he was and she told me that he has a couple of openings in December....wow 3 months in advance. I can't get it done anyway until probably December or next summer anyway. I want to make sure I have enough time off to do it you know.

I had my questions ready too. He answered them all before I even asked. One that he didn't, and I asked him was if he did the open or closed procedure. He said both, but he mainly does the closed and thats what he'd do on me.

awfdml please let me know here on healthboards everything about your surgery and afterwards. We can't exchange names or emails, but please do try to keep me updated. I know your surgery isn't for another month or so, but this is great how I've found someone whos seeing the same Dr. I am for this.

By the way, the traffic sucked in Chicago. Stop...go...stop...go...

Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

Yes, please keep us updated awfdml

alltaken, you said you met with another surgeon before this guy - what didn't you like about the first one? I am considering having rhinoplasty here in the UK but I think your experiences will translate to me. Thank you

Old 10-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

jhart
    The first surgeon was a nice guy, but I'm not going to go with him because he seemed too layed back.

1) 15 minute consultation
    2) He wore a hawaiian shirt
    3) He talked about other things that didn't pertain to my consultation.
    4) He only does 20 Rhinoplasties a yr <--- that's the BIGGEST reason why I'm NOT going with that surgeon.

The surgeon I met with is also a nice guy, but professional. Reasons I liked him:

1) Dressed appropriately
    2) 1 hour consultation
    3) He talked about the procedure in detail, which is informative.
    4) He does 4 Rhinoplasties A WEEK, which is like 200 A YEAR.

To me, the 2nd surgeon is more qualified, and he's board certified.

Have a list of questions to ask when you go in for your consultation. This is your face and you need to be informed and knowledgable about EVERYTHING.

Old 10-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
    lovely2

lovely2 HB User

I had a BA done w/ Dr. Pensler. Choosing him for my plastic surgeon was one of the worst decisions I made in my life. I am spending another 9k to have things fixed. Post op he was very rude, cold and uncaring.
    Beware of him.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

U know I thought alot about what you said. Do you think that maybe some surgeons are better in certain areas than others? I wonder what other BA patients say about him. I have spoken with 2 others here on Healthboards who are dealing with Pensler now. One is recovering from nose surgery, and is still healing. The other is set to have her nose surgery in November. I am really, really hoping that they continue to let me know how it's going, because I am planning on having this done and I would greatly appreciate all the input from them as I can get. Did Pensler tell you how many a year he does of the BA's?

Old 10-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #8
    lovely2

lovely2 HB User

Dr. Pensler claims to do alot of BAs. I understand that less than pleasant outcomes can happen with plastic surgery and I was ok with that. I wanted to talk to him about anothers surgery to fix my issues. What was so aweful about my experience is that he refused to talk about an obvious problem and got extremely defensive about things and tried to tell me that it was my perception of things. I was even willint to pay him to fix things! It was pretty sureal. I later got my medical records and there were alot of very unprofessional statements listed and a lot of medical inaccuracies (pathology reports not matching his notes, etc). I have had my issues addresed by 5 other plastic surgeons who all agree that I have a problem. Whereas he may be a skilled surgeon for some procedures, I feel he has no moral obligations to his patients.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Lovely2

Old 10-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #9
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

I hope your situation improves. Finding a surgeon should be so easy, but I see its not. I should go and see this other one I have a name for too. Do you mind me asking what went wrong?

Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 PM   #10
    georgie

georgie HB User

alltaken, just try to be aware of whether or not your doctor is more of a face man or a body man, in my experience a surgeon is really good at one but not both! seriously! The surgeons who stick to either faces are best for faces. Don't take any chances. Make sure your rhinoplasty surgeon has done many many rhinoplasties and has the portfolio to back it up.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #11
    lovely2

lovely2 HB User

I could expand on what was wrong but it might not make sense to you if you aren't familiar with the complications that can occur with a BA. Let me know.
    If you have another surgeon to have a consultation with I would do it. This is a big decision.
    Good luck.
    Lovely2

Old 10-08-2004, 01:45 PM   #12
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

Pensler says he does like 4 nose surg. a wk.. The other Dr. I met with only did 20 a yr.. This tells me that Pensler would be much more qualified. Hopefully others will respond who had Pensler do their nose.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:55 PM   #13
    awfdml

awfdml HB User

lovely2 i am very sorry about the fact that you had a negative experience with Dr. Pensler. I would be curious to know how far off he was with what you perceived as your desired results and his perception, if you're comfortable sharing that information.

alltaken, no worries about me keeping you updated. I will let you know everything because I would have liked to find somebody who had the experience with Dr. Pensler.

I have only seen one other person on this discussion board who is in recovery from a rhinoplasty with Dr. Pensler and i'm thinking it might be the same member...i could not find that discussion and i wish he/she would respond to this one so i know how they're doing...

I am bumping up my meeting with Dr. Pensler to a little over two weeks before the surgery cause i cant wait to talk to him again.

have you seen any other doctors for consultations or have you scheduled an appointment with Dr. Pensler?

Old 10-16-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
    alltaken
    (female)

alltaken HB User

awfdml, thanks for keeping me updated. The one member here on Healthboards that I talked to about her surgery with Pensler went by the name crodriguez. The last time I talked to her she was already a month into recovery. At that time she was doing well. She said she had a bump on her nose that she was alittle concerned over, but Pensler told her to massage it to help the swelling go down quicker and I guess it helped. I haven't talked to her since and am very anxious to hear again from her. I hope she does respond to this thread. I haven't met with any other Dr.s and I have not made the appt. yet for the actual surgery. I don't have the funds yet. I'm probably looking at next Summer to get it done.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:13 AM   #15
    diana22

diana22 HB User

Wow, what I am reading here is a little disconcerting because while I haven't heard a lot about Pensler, what I did hear seemed to be really good. Regarding having a bump after surgery- my doctor told me the same thing- to massage it and it will help it go down but it never did and when I went to a consultation with another doctor he called it a hump! This after my nose was supposed to be straightened! And my doctor was the same way- very friendly and willing to talk before surgery but not at all interested in discussing my concerns afterwards and even rude, so I would do more research on other docs before going ahead with surgery. I can't tell you the disappointment when you've been waiting for years to fix your nose and after spending so much money and going through all the stress of surgery to have basically the same nose as before. I don't know if that has happened with Pensler but I also would like to hear from any people who have had a rhino with him. A really good doctor seems to be Richard Davis in Miami- now there's a doctor about whom I've heard a lot and it is all positive. And I have seen actual patients of his. I don't remember if we are allowed to give the names of other message boards but if we are I certainly will so you can all go there and look him up. I am seriously considering him. Good luck to you all!
    Diana

Closed Thread