It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-11-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User
    Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

So I finally had my revision done last Monday. I spent a year researching doctors and saving money and finally settled on a very renowned doctor. I got my cast off today and I'm sooooo sad! I wish I hadn't touched my nose- it wasn't that bad to begin with. Now I have a cartoon nose and I just want to die. He did a rib graft and my nose looks bigger and more bulbous than ever, AND I now have a hump at the top that I never had before. I just dont understand how this could have happened. I thought I was safe with this doctor, and now I'm $16,000 in debt AND I can't bare to look in the mirror.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
    jlbalcer
    (female)

jlbalcer HB User
    Re: Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

At 7 days post-op you still have a ton of swelling. Don't judge your nose just yet! I am 14 days post-op and I am just now starting to see a nice nose through the swelling. The tip still looks a bit bulbous but there is still a lot of swelling. Give your nose some time to heal before getting too upset.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

I understand that there will be swelling in the tip, but the bridge is whats really worrying me. There's like a hump that wasnt there before and I'm freaking out bc I know he put a cartilage graft there and even if it is swollen, it's like so much bigger than it was before. If you look at my profile the bridge is enormous... I'm wondering how much that can possibly correct itself? I've never felt this ugly in my life, I literally just want to die =(

Old 10-12-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinsta
    I understand that there will be swelling in the tip, but the bridge is whats really worrying me. There's like a hump that wasnt there before and I'm freaking out bc I know he put a cartilage graft there and even if it is swollen, it's like so much bigger than it was before. If you look at my profile the bridge is enormous... I'm wondering how much that can possibly correct itself? I've never felt this ugly in my life, I literally just want to die =(
    oh dear dont dispair yet. Let the swelling go down, its too early to say. Just wait a couple of months. Have you asked your doctor about it? Im sure he can tell you what has happened.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:52 AM   #5
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Unfortunately my doctor is at a conference until the end of this week- he wasn't there when the nurse took off the bandages. I dont know how I'm going to be able to get through the next few weeks of waiting. I just have this sick feeling in my gut. Is it normal for the nose to be crooked and to have a hump at the top?

Old 10-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

oh my gosh what a busy doctor is that..my doctor was definetly the one who took the bandages off. He is so nice ..and so good looking.. Anyways Im sorry to hear about that hump. I dont know what to say there because I did not had any humps after my surgery. It got a little crooked but that was because the septum redeviated which he fixed in a second surgery three months later at no charge.

Old 10-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User
    Smile Re: Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

Who was the doctor that did your revision? Please keep in mind that there are lots of psychological issues that can arise with plastic surgery. Even the happiest patients have moments of despair when looking at themselves in various stages of healing. Relax and give it lots of time before making a judgement. Revisions cause more swelling than primaries - even on the bridge. Take some time, get on with your life, and see how it goes. I'm guessing that you will eventually be happy. Best wishes!

Old 10-13-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elle00110
    Who was the doctor that did your revision? Please keep in mind that there are lots of psychological issues that can arise with plastic surgery. Even the happiest patients have moments of despair when looking at themselves in various stages of healing. Relax and give it lots of time before making a judgement. Revisions cause more swelling than primaries - even on the bridge. Take some time, get on with your life, and see how it goes. I'm guessing that you will eventually be happy. Best wishes!
    Dr. GUnter did my revision- thats why I'm so shocked that it looks like this. I thought going to one of the top guys in the country would make it so at least it looked a little cuter than before, but in fact, it's alot bigger. My nose would have to go down about 30% in swelling for it to be as small as it was before.

Old 10-14-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Quote:
    Dr. GUnter did my revision- thats why I'm so shocked that it looks like this. I thought going to one of the top guys in the country would make it so at least it looked a little cuter than before, but in fact, it's alot bigger. My nose would have to go down about 30% in swelling for it to be as small as it was before.
    Yeah I have heard Gunter to be a good doctor. And I would think that 30% of swelling down to be possible. The swelling in mine really went down by the thrid month so hang in there. Why you needed the revision in the first place? My nose surgery was a nice subtle change for me. He just made it a little smaller and the hump was removed. For some time i thought if he should had made it smaller but I see now that he did the best nose for my face. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted

Old 10-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #10
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladivapr
    Yeah I have heard Gunter to be a good doctor. And I would think that 30% of swelling down to be possible. The swelling in mine really went down by the thrid month so hang in there. Why you needed the revision in the first place? My nose surgery was a nice subtle change for me. He just made it a little smaller and the hump was removed. For some time i thought if he should had made it smaller but I see now that he did the best nose for my face. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us posted
    You know, my nose wasn't too bad to begin with. I just wanted to tip to be refined because I thought that it was a little too bulbous, and for the bridge to be narrowed and reconstructed a little bc my previous surgery had left me with a small indentation on one side. Unfortunately he built the bridge upwards far too much, and now the result is a hump there which makes my face look weird from every angle. I too wanted a smaller nose but now its bigger than before. It helps to here that your swelling went down after three months, but was it a big change or just subtle bc right now my nose needs a big change and was that your first rhinoplasty?

Old 10-14-2004, 06:24 PM   #11
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

The thing is that you had a revision rhino and Im not sure as to how much more the nose swells. If you had a revision means you been through one before and I would think you should know how much down your nose can go. I know that I always also saw my nose big where my mom swared me the nose was so much smaller. After a month or two the changes will be subtle thats for sure. Im gonna pray for you dear. It was a risky thing doing a revision for a small change. What I wonder is does the doctor did told you it was worth to do a revision for that small changes you wanted?

Old 10-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #12
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ladivapr
    The thing is that you had a revision rhino and Im not sure as to how much more the nose swells. If you had a revision means you been through one before and I would think you should know how much down your nose can go. I know that I always also saw my nose big where my mom swared me the nose was so much smaller. After a month or two the changes will be subtle thats for sure. Im gonna pray for you dear. It was a risky thing doing a revision for a small change. What I wonder is does the doctor did told you it was worth to do a revision for that small changes you wanted?
    Yeah, now I def. realize that it is pretty risky to do a revision, especially when you really don't need it. I guess you just hear people build up these doctors with the great reputations so much that they become like magicians in your head and you dont realize the potential for disaster after. He did not discourage me from doing the revision. But let me update you on this saga... I had grafts put into my nose and there were wire grafts on the birdge- two to be exact. When you go get the cast off, they take out your stiches, splints, and the wires that are holding the grafts. So the nurse did all this on Monday, and I noticed this hump on the bridge that wasnt there before and freaked out and called the nurse both on Mon. and Tuesday, and she dismissed it as freaking out over the swelling, even to the point where she got a little annoyed that I was asking all these questions. Turns out that today I wake up to see a piece of metal sticking out of the bridge of my nose- she didn't realize that there was still a wire in there! Now I'm back home thousands of miles away from Dallas with this wire that has been in my nose for a week longer than it's supposed to be and I have to go see a plastic surgeon down here to take it out- not to mention that it's kind of itchy and I'm really scared that it might be/ get infected. I just spoke with the doctor and he reassured me that it would all turn out alright. Anyways thank you so much for your prayers- that means so much to me right now.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:07 PM   #13
    elle00110
    (female)

elle00110 HB User
    Smile Re: Rhinoplasty-7 days post-op and depressed!!!

Wow, spinsta, that sounds really bad! I think it is really disturbing that Dr. Gunter wasn't there to remove the bandages and then it wasn't done right. I do think, though, that everything will turn out for the best. I had a revision done by Dr. Toriumi and he did some cartilege grafts onto my bridge and I definitely had some freak-outs about how big my nose was right after the surgery. I definitely thought it was too big but he assured me that the swelling would come down and it has - I am now about 6 months post op and the swelling is definitely still coming down. Dr. Toriumi said that my nose would be about 60% healed in one year so I still have lots of healing to do - and you have plenty more than me! At this point though, I feel really confident that my nose is going to be as good as it could possibly be - it looks good now and gets better every day. Please know that it will be okay - you must get any errors in removing that wire fixed - Dr. Gunter should really go out of his way to make sure that happens. But I really think you will be fine - I'm rooting for you.

Old 10-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #14
    ladivapr
    Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Quote:
    Yeah, now I def. realize that it is pretty risky to do a revision, especially when you really don't need it. I guess you just hear people build up these doctors with the great reputations so much that they become like magicians in your head and you dont realize the potential for disaster after. He did not discourage me from doing the revision. But let me update you on this saga... I had grafts put into my nose and there were wire grafts on the birdge- two to be exact. When you go get the cast off, they take out your stiches, splints, and the wires that are holding the grafts. So the nurse did all this on Monday, and I noticed this hump on the bridge that wasnt there before and freaked out and called the nurse both on Mon. and Tuesday, and she dismissed it as freaking out over the swelling, even to the point where she got a little annoyed that I was asking all these questions. Turns out that today I wake up to see a piece of metal sticking out of the bridge of my nose- she didn't realize that there was still a wire in there! Now I'm back home thousands of miles away from Dallas with this wire that has been in my nose for a week longer than it's supposed to be and I have to go see a plastic surgeon down here to take it out- not to mention that it's kind of itchy and I'm really scared that it might be/ get infected. I just spoke with the doctor and he reassured me that it would all turn out alright. Anyways thank you so much for your prayers- that means so much to me right now.
    oh I hope it does turn out okay. And you are right about this renowed doctors. I once chatted with a gal who did a rhino with Dr Toriumi and remained with a hump afterwards..I tell you I did was naive when I did mine 3 years back. I did no researched at the doctors just went with one recommended by my coworker who had the surgery with him. But my coworker really new the guy, he studied in college with her and I liked her nose so I just trusted her when she told me he was of the best in the island. The day they were going to remove my cast there was a guy with a crooked nose waiting to have surgery again that day. His first surgery was with him! I panicked thinking of how my nose was going to turn out to be. Fortunatetly it was okay. I needed a second minor surgery because the septum redeviated again. It fixed nicely then. Then I became an expert in the topic reading the forum boards and thought about the things I should have done that I did not do. Still Im grateful to god that my nose turned out to be okay because I tell you i did not even researched the doctor.

Keep us posted

Old 10-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
    spinsta
    (male)

spinsta HB User

Thanks elle and ladiva for your input and encouragement. They say that it's easier to take away than it is to add for revisions, but is it easy to mess with grafts if you do a third revision? I know I'm going to have to have another surgery- I was just looking at my before pictures and I look so cute before- I must have been crazy to do this surgery. All I needed was for him to thin it out- but instead he lifted up the tip and the result is the front view looks really thick. So now I'm wondering how hard it would be to reverse this surgery- like shave the cartilage off my tip and let it drop a little and thin it out- basically reversing it and thinning it out? Or do i have to kiss my old nose goodbye?

Closed Thread