It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Excess Skin on Abdomen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
    h2oskier

h2oskier HB User
    Question Excess Skin on Abdomen

What can be done about excess skin on the stomach that is primarily above the belly button? I really can't justify the pain and expense of a tummy tuck since I have little excess fat. I'm also not fond of having a hip to hip scar.

I work my abs very hard, but after having two children, my "six pack" is hidden under loose skin. Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #2
    Zerberbaby

Zerberbaby HB User
    Re: Excess Skin on Abdomen

Off hand, skin only tightens so much, after that excess has to be removed. I know they do "mini tummy tucks" for the lower skin only, but I don't know if they can do an upper only.

Make an appointment with a reputable plastic surgeon (most have free initial consultations) and ask what is available out there. Check the surgeons credentials carefully. The highest credential is the Asthetic Surgery Association.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #3
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

The only way to get rid of that is a tummy tuck no matter how hard you work out once the muscles and skin are stretched it cannot go back in place I had 3 c-sections and I was always thin after that my stomach would not go down I was at a size 9 which I was not used to being last year got the tummy tuck and I am now a size 3 again I will be honest I was scared about having that scar and researched it on the computer and saw the horrible pics but I tell you it is not bad at all I wear little bikins and the scar does not show, I also had a wonderful plastic surgeon now I am off to get a lift and implants on Nov. 20th then I am done. Any questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:18 AM   #4
    h2oskier

h2oskier HB User

Thanks for the credentialing info Zerberbaby. I emailed a local doctor whose website said he is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. I thought that was good, but then maybe all he had to do was pay some dues to belong. When I asked about some sort of mini tummy tuck above the navel, the response was that I could have liposuction. What??? I told them that excess skin was the problem, NOT fat. Also, they said the consultation fee is $100. I was wondering if that was accepted practice or not.

Thanks also girly gal. Do you wear the low-rise bikini bottoms or the classic scoop bottom? Will almost any style cover the scar? I spend a ton of time on the boat and really don't want to be self-conscious of a scar or this excess skin anymore.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:54 AM   #5
    girlygal

girlygal HB User

Hi,
    I wear both bikins, but my some of the low rise do show the scar which nobody even notices mine. Believe me that is what almost stopped me from doing the surgery, I tell you the scar is not that bad. I am soooo happy I did this.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:11 AM   #6
    h2oskier

h2oskier HB User

I just had a consultation with a Dermatology center that has a Titan laser. They claim it is the newest advancement over Thermage for toning loose skin. It has a better cooling system than Thermage so there isn't as much pain and there is less chance of blistering and other problems. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about it?

Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 PM   #7
    Sustasha
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sustasha HB User
    Wink Re: Excess Skin on Abdomen & FACELIFT COMMENTS

hi, your comments on 5k versus a 40k facelift. If you live in a small city of , say, 100,000 people , you usually can get a great facelift for Far less than 40k!! Why? Because in a town that size people talk. We used to live in such a town. They have 6 cosmetic surgeons and there is a Lot of oil money in that place. The docs have to "keep up" their reputations or lose their practices.
    I have a friend, a doctor's wife, who had a 6k facelift and I swear she looked like she had not aged one month in the 2 or 3 yrs since I'd seen her. She went locally and had a lot of confidence in her surgeon. Why? Because people in that city don't go elsewhere, as a rule. They get their work done right there and everyone knows when they've had something done! And boy, do people gossip in that town. Her doc has been practicing there for 25 years. Another doctor had had his practice there 30 yrs but just retired. HE was the one I Really wanted to use.
    Texas. It's like a whole other country

Old 11-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #8
    Zerberbaby

Zerberbaby HB User

Reputation is very important. Before I had work done I checked around. There are 2 surgeons in my area with excellent reputations...and then there is everybody else.

Women around here talk about their plastic surgeries, so if you bring up the subject in a group of women you will get to hear all the "gory details" of the area surgeons, only these 2 had positive comments (and no negative at all). All of the others you heard at least one horror story about.

Your best bet is to always see pictures of the work they have done and talk to their patients. If you have a surgeon who has been in practice for years and he can only show you a few pictures of the same procedure you want done steer clear! PS take photos of every person they work on...he should not be afraid to show you all his results instead of select few.

Last edited by Zerberbaby; 11-20-2004 at 01:43 PM.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
    h2oskier

h2oskier HB User

The lack of photos of other patients is what made me leary of this place with the Titan laser. However, I figured it probably has to do with the privacy laws. You know.... those forms you now have to sign at every medical office and pharmacy you visit.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
    Zerberbaby

Zerberbaby HB User

The release to show your pictures to potential patients (minus your head for body shots and your name) is one of the first forms you generally sign when you go into the surgeon. Since most people do not read all the forms before they sign (and because it was my face) my surgeon confirmed if it was okay to use my before and after pictures on his wall, but didn't even need me to sign an additional form.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and it is true. Look for someone who had the most similar "condition" to yours that you want repaired and then check out the after picture to see what the surgeon is really capable of. Some of them will promise you the moon, but deliver pea gravel!

Old 05-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #11
    princess72
    Inactive
    (female)

princess72 HB User

Girlygal........................You sound just like me. I am looking into this too. I cant get it done right now, on Friday i am going in for my 3rd breast implant surgery. Anyways, i am so scared for a huge scar, hip to hip. Can they cut into the c-section scar, so there wont be 2 there? Does a mini tummy tuck have a smaller scar? I have hated my stomach for 15 years, and been working on it ever since!!!! I had the perfect abs before children. I just cant get them remotely back!!! Im going to make a consultation appt soon. How long did it take to heal? Does this surgery feel like when you have a c section?

Old 05-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
    princess72
    Inactive
    (female)

princess72 HB User

I have one more question..........Does this type of scar mostly lay flat? I know everyone is different on how their scars heal, but my c section scar is yucky!!!!!!!!!!!! It is indented and a flap of skin hangs over, and i am not overweight. My ab's would look great with out this. I dont really mind having a larger scar, if it was flat!

Closed Thread