It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• obaji system, obaji blue peel, microdermabrasion for mild acne scarring

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2001, 12:39 PM   #1
    lizardring

lizardring HB User
    Post obaji system, obaji blue peel, microdermabrasion for mild acne scarring

hi, i'm planning to get treatments done after my skin heals up (i had an awful breakout this year due to some medicines i was taking). i'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me if these procedures worked for them and if they think it was worth the cost. i have mild acne scarring and laser is both too expensive and risky i'm asian). i've also heard some good things about the obagi system. anyone want to comment? i also want to know of your experiences with any kind of resurfacing. how much did it cost? were you scabby afterwars? was your skin just flushed or did it look like how newly healed skin from a wound, pink and waxy? how long before you looked normal? did it help with the scarring? etc. thanks in advance. emails are welcome, i will post in a while if i am getting results from the obagi system.

liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2001, 12:56 PM   #2
    AnnabelleC

AnnabelleC HB User
    I don't know much about the obagi System, but I was also looking into it, from what I understand there is some down time involved where your skin has a blue tint and then remains noticably pink for quite some time. I have had a tca peel done, there was obvious peeling, but I went to work the same day, the next it turned brown then it began to crust and peel, but it was not at all that noticable unless really up close. I have to say it did improve the red mars a lot and my skin tone, but did not do much for scarring. However, there is a treatment called undermining or subcissin which is painless (in my experience). T%he doctor scratches at the scars and it stimulates collagen growth, the downtime is about two days, and you can easily coverup the scars. It has helped with the deeper scars a lot. Now I only have shallow indentations but a lot of red marks, as the procedure does leave you weith red marks for quite a while.
    You can also look into microdermabrasion. It SHOULD help with the scars, so far I have had five sessions but have not seen much improvement in the scars, I was told by many that I need to have more sessions, so I am HOPING that this will work and I am not wasting my money. I'm sorry if I am not much help to you, but I guarantee you if I find that this microdermabrasion or any other procedure for that matter works I will definately tell you. I have my sixth session on Tuesday, I will be sure to let you know if there is an improvement. however, my advice is to see a couple of doctors and hear what they have to say.

Old 04-15-2001, 01:26 PM   #3
    lizardring

lizardring HB User
    hey, thanks for replying. i forgot to add that i was also considering this treatment using tretinoin-iontophoresis that supposedly grows your skin back the natural way. it works by using an iontophoresis machine to force tretinoin and other skin growth stimulating creams such as estriol and vitamin C deep into the skin. they experimented with it in austria in 1995, with supposedly good results and they have it in california, and south africa, some parts of europe and japan. i don't know if this really works since i've never heard of anyone who's actually had it, but i was thinking of trying it. unfortunately, you have to have at least 8 sessions for it to start becoming noticeable (you get one or two a week)... i think you have this done for a while until you're satisfied. will wait for word on this to start spreading, however, before i throw my cash away...

later.
    liz

Old 04-16-2001, 07:43 AM   #4
    AnnabelleC

AnnabelleC HB User
    Yes, I do think that it is better to see actual results fron NUMEROUS patients before trying something. I will try to look up some info. on this for you also, or ask my doctor about it, but I have heard the term used before. Have yo inquired with a doctor for your best options, try a few doctors. I have to tell you, my scars are pretty shallow and many doctors recommended ver invasive prodedures, which may not even be necessary inc. lasers, dermabrasion, collagen. I am reluctant to try collagen as I know it is not permanent and I am a little skeptical of Aretcoll. I will keep you posted however on my results.

Old 04-20-2001, 01:21 PM   #5
    lizardring

lizardring HB User
    btw, if anyone wants to check out the tretinoin-iontophoresis thing, here's an interesting site: [url="http://www.3iwc.riken.go.jp/CONGRESS/POSTER/DZ0426/TIT.HTM."]http://www.3iwc.riken.go.jp/CONGRESS/POSTER/DZ0426/TIT.HTM.[/url] you can also find a few other articles on it if you search for it. comments anyone? is this a stupid idea? btw, i've been using 0.1% tretinoin for (new) mild acne scarring for about 2 months now and it looks like it's helping (or were they going to straighten out on their own?). anyone have good/bad experiences with this?

Closed Thread