It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• why so many revision rhinos?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2002, 10:58 PM   #1
    vauxhall

vauxhall HB User
    Question why so many revision rhinos?

Hi all. I am 31 and have considered rhinoplasty since I was 15, but only recently have considered it enough to actually research and make an appointment for a consultation with a PS (Binder in LA). One thing that terrifies me though is in reading this board I see many postings about revision rhinoplasty. I don't love my nose the way it is, but it isn't the end of the world either. I would hate to go through a rhinoplasty and the pain, costs, and emotional issues (especially with my family) only to find out I'm worse off than before having it done. So I'm curious: Why do many want to have their rhinoplasties revised? Do you regret having the original one done? Do you have any other insight or advice for me? Any pics I could see? Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Sincerely,

Vauxhall

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2002, 11:33 PM   #2
    hadrhinoplasty

hadrhinoplasty HB User
    V:

I am 30. I only wish I had my rhinoplasty 10 years earlier. My life would be completely different. I had the same concerns as you. Cost, pain, what others would think. I realize now how all those concerns were absurd thinking. Its so worth it. Addressing all your concerns. First, the pain. It is more than bearable. It's unconfortable, but the reward after is worth it 1000 times over. Money. I do not know your financial situaton. But if you think of it this way. You will have more confidence after the surgery. More confidence can lead to a better job, more friends. Thats worth way more than the $5,000-$10,000 cost. As for what friends and family think. It's your world. When you die and look back at your life, do you want to see that anyone else influenced your decisions in YOUR life?

It seems most people make a mistake with the first plastic surgeon they go to for rhinoplasty. I thought I was a good judge of character and thought I knew what I was doing. But my plastic surgeon ended being unprofessional and completley ignored what I asked. Looking at before and after pictures is the most important thing.

HR

Old 06-12-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
    vauxhall

vauxhall HB User
    wow hr, thanks so much for the reply. you really made me feel better and even excited about having rhinoplasty done. the only thing that still confuses me: if you're so glad you did it, why the revision? just to get closer to perfect? also, what would you do to avoid choosing a poor PS, knowing what you know now? Any recommendations for primary rhinos in the LA area? Have you or are you going to see Binder? Thanks so much for all the help. It feels so much better to get advice from someone who's actually been there.

V

Old 06-13-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
    bliss723
    Inactive

bliss723 HB User
    Before I had surgery, I thought that the only "bad" nose jobs resulted from a) doctors who were unqualified or b) patients wanting to look "that way". I have since learned that this is not the case. Rhinoplasty is by far the most revised cosmetic surgery procedure; even "good" doctors can produce unsatisfactory results. Unlike breast implants or other types of procdedures, this surgery involves a part of the face which, obviously, cannot be hidden, so a bad result can be extremely devastating emotionally. Please, please, please weigh the extreme risks involved in this surgery. If you feel you must do it, please visit as many surgeons as you can and see his or her actual patients (not just pictures) prior to the surgery. I have met many post ops who did the research, went to good doctors, and still wish they had their original nose back. I'm one of those. Good luck to you--

Old 06-13-2002, 11:20 PM   #5
    vauxhall

vauxhall HB User
    bliss, thanks for the reply. it's not what i wanted to hear, and in fact throws me into a bit of confusion again, but i think you may be saving me a lot of future suffering. thank you for being so direct. i wish you the best.

v

Old 06-15-2002, 03:43 AM   #6
    DAVYAK21
    Inactive

DAVYAK21 HB User
    Gosh my hearts go out to u guys who had bad surgeries... I did mine 2 years ago with Dr,Tobbias. In NJ. It turned out perfect exactly what I was lookin for in my nose. But my nose wasnt that baad to begin with.. It was just thick at the end..and when I smiled I hated it. So I didnt have a large hump removed.. My nose doesnt look like a 100% diffrent nose... It just looks like my old nose but perfect and slimmed down a little. But I was very nervous getting the surgery.. The doctor was running behind and I was in my robe waiting forever. It seemed like years. I was so scared my nose would look funny..strange.. even after researchin and pickin a good dr.in my opinion. That fear never goes away. I remember thinkin to myself.. Maybe I should just leave.. maybe im makin a mistake..(this was while i was about to go to surgery) My sister got a nose job where she wasnt happy. So I kept thinkin even tho I did the research etc That voice of her's sayin DONT DO IT.. Kept running thru me.. Finally they got me.. Put the Iv in relaxed me and next thing I know I awoke in my hospital bed... Not in any pain...just bloody and uncomfortable. So its a big big step.. Even if its the best dr. u never know what can happen.. My expectations where to have a nose LIKE MINE just refined.. Not sumone elses... So it depends on ones expectations..etc and so many other things.. Its a big big big step...Good luch at whatever u [email protected]

Old 06-15-2002, 06:09 AM   #7
    bliss723
    Inactive

bliss723 HB User
    You're actually a perfect example of what I'm saying: the same doctor you mentioned did my primary and it came out very poorly. Once I told him it wasn't what I expected (to put it mildly), he became a totally different person, basically telling me that I was stuck with it and well,too bad. I personally think I could have chose a much better doctor, but the outcome is never 100% predictable with any surgeon. Good luck to all.

Old 06-19-2002, 02:10 PM   #8
    danica1234
    Inactive

danica1234 HB User
    I had my primary rhinoplasty performed June 4th, 2001... and just had a revision on the 30th of May, 2002. I went to the same PS for my revision that did my primary. Even after the first surgery, I was definitly more happy with my nose than I was before I got the surgery done. There were a few things that I wanted to change,, and my PS agreed. I had a contract with him stating that if I wasn't happy with the results and needed to have a revision, I wouldn't be responsible for the surgeon fee,, just the hospital, etc.. about $1600.00. I'm almost 3 weeks post-op now and I absolutely love the way it turned out! I think I probably took a risk in going to the same PS that did my primary since I wasn't happy with the outcome,, but I'm more than happy I did now. My only advise to you would be not to go for the 'deal' money wise.. You'll end up spending much more in the end trying to fix the mistakes of surgery number 1!!!

Closed Thread