It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• buccal fat pad removal--(cheek thinning procedure)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2002, 03:20 PM   #1
    shannyjoany

shannyjoany HB User
    Smile buccal fat pad removal--(cheek thinning procedure)

Hello everyone.

I have a very round face. It looks like Tiffani Amber-Thiessen's face (so I have been told). I look overweight even when I am slender.

I want to have the buccal fat pads removed. Has anyone out there done this? If so, would you share your experience with me? Is there a special tool the plastic surgeon uses, as opposed to liposuctioning it out? How long did your face swell? How has it changed your face?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 10:24 AM   #2
    bliss723
    Inactive

bliss723 HB User
    Please don't do this. It will remove nearly all of the fat from your cheek area. While you may want this now, it probably won't look so good when you're older and develop a gaunt look. I go to various PS sites and one of the major procedures discussed is fat grafting--where older people seek surgery to get fat put INTO their faces. Guess the grass is always greener....=) Please at least think it over very carefully, and think about how you will feel 20 years from now.

Old 03-18-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
    hannah2

hannah2 HB User
    Well I agree with bliss723 ONLY BECAUSE IF your face looks like Tiffany Amber Thiessen, then YOUR FACE IS NOT FAT ALL. At least compared to mine. And if to me Tiffany Amber Thiessen's face is not fat, then your face is definately not fat and therefore meaning YOU DO NOT NEED BUCCAL FAT REMOVAL AT ALL. Because if your face looks like Tiffany Amber Thiessen and you get buccal fat removal, truly, when you get older you will probably need fat grafting because your face was never really fat to begin with. But my face is a totally different story, I have soooooo much fat on my face that not only can I afford to have fat removed but also it is genetic and runs in my family so therefore I know I am a great candidate and my face is way bigger than Tiffany Amber Thiessen.

Old 03-18-2003, 06:42 PM   #4
    sun78

sun78 HB User
    shannyjoany- i can certainly relate to you. I've been considering getting buccal fat pad removal for awhile and am having a hard time deciding. My cheeks aren't that big, the chubbiness is moderate. I would say my face is a bit smaller than Tiffany-Amber theisen. I'm mainly unhappy with the way I look when I smile. When I smile my cheeks stick out to the sides and I really hate the way it looks and the shape it gives to my face. I really wish I had a thin lower face. I've been to two consultations and here's what I learned. There are two ways to reduce your cheeks- facial liposuction and buccal fat pad removal. Facial lipo is more risky. The cheek fat is removed with a thin cannula, it can cause facial nerve damage and may leave you with a lumpy bumpy surface. In buccal fat pad removal, a small incision or hole is made in the inside of your mouth (thus no scar) and the fat pad is extracted. I personally would go with the buccal fat pad removal, but both doctors did not recommend me doing it. They said that people lose fat in the face with age and it may make me look older. I certainly don't want that. I must say though, that my cheeks have gotten thinner with age. In high school my cheeks were huge and now I'm 25 and its better but I still want a thinner face. One other alternative to changing the shape of your face is with botox injections in the massetter muscle. The massetter muscle is the muscle in the sides of your face that goes from the cheekbone to the mandible (jaw bone). Botox paralyzes this muscle and it atrophies, it gets thinner and helps make the lower face look thinner. Sides effect are you may have trouble chewing hard things but you have alot of other muscles function in chewing so it shouldn't be a big problem. Also, if you chew gum all the time or eat alot of things that work the massetter, the effects of the botox will be nullified. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
    Beastiegirl

Beastiegirl HB User
    Not a wise idea,

As you age, that buccal fat pad actually helps keep you "younger" looking.

If you remove it, you'll actually look like a corpse (hint hint: FAT actualy helps our faces look youhger as we age. Gaunt is old. To remove the becal fat pads us guant.

Old 03-22-2003, 08:29 AM   #6
    hannah2

hannah2 HB User
    Attention: Beastiegirl, you are correct in a few things you say however you are mis-informed ALOT. For one thing there are plenty of successful facial liposuction/buccal pad procedures. Second, if your face isn't really fat to begin with, then this procedure as you say will leave you with a hollow look when you get older. Third, if your face is genetically really, really fat like mines is, then most plastic surgeons will tell you, YES YOU ARE A GREAT CANDIDATE FOR THIS PROCEDURE, meaning that this person has enough fat to extract and at the same time NOT RISK A GAUNT OR HOLLOW LOOK further on in life. Because they had soooooo much fat to begin with, some fat will be left behind therefore limiting the thought of a hollow or gaunt look later on in life. You should have a nice chisled look but not guant with prominant cheek bones. In my case. Because I had a lot of fat to begin with. Way, Way more fat than the average fat person's face.

Old 03-29-2003, 03:35 AM   #7
    pushkin

pushkin HB User
    Do not consider this procedure; I can only tell you from my own experience that you will live to regret it. Wait until you are older and then reconsider your options. You may achieve a "model-like" aspect to your face for a short period of time, but as you age, the effect will be less than ideal. For the face to be appealing, fullness/roundness in the cheek region is necessary. A cadaverous look is not attractive at any age.

Old 03-29-2003, 07:41 AM   #8
    zibah

zibah HB User
    To board member pushkin. First I am sorry for your bad experience with buccal fat removal BUT PERHAPS YOU CHOSE THE WRONG DOCTOR? Because there are plenty of successful buccal fat removal procedures even years later so I am sorry for your un-fortuanate demise. Maybe you can fill me in all of the details of your horror story and results in your reply to me.

In the mean time I will fill you in about myself, that I am in my early 30's and let's just say that my face is as fat and maybe even fatter than Aretha Franklins face. I use her as an example because we all know with no offense to Aretha Franklin of course that the Aretha Franklin today is huge and her face is really really fat as well. My face is fatter than Aretha Franklin's face. I'm not talking about the old Aretha Franklin from the 60's I'm talking about Aretha Franklin today. She looks about 300lbs, with all due respect of course to the queen of soul. But She's probably in her 50's now.

In anycase, I am in my early 30's and my face is fatter than Aretha Franklin. Now if you think that I am not old enough to have this procedure done especially when my face is bigger than Aretha Franklin's, you are out of your mind.

When you are in your 30's, you have already waited long enough. And if by the time you hit your 30's, your face is still inflated like a balloon, I think that its way overdue and time for you to get the buccal procedure done. You shouldn't wait till you are in your 40's and 50's and suffer through your 30's until you hit your 40's and 50's to get a buccal facial fat removal procedure done. I think that if you are in your 30's and your face is STILL inflated like a balloon, then I think THAT IT'S DUE TIME TO GET the Buccal fat removal done. As you can see with Aretha Franklin today, she is in her 50's and her face with all due respect is still really huge. And my face in my 30's is fatter than hers.

So I think in my case, I am very eligible for a buccal facial fat removal procedure and still not look gaunt later on. Now I'm sorry for your unfortunate demise like I said but you can't advise people not to get this procedure done SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW OTHER PEOPLE'S FACE LOOKS. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SOMEONE WITH A FATTER FACE THAN ARETHA FRANKLIN? Have you ever seen someone with a fatter face than Jackie Gleason? Then until you see someone with fatter faces than the people mentioned above, then I don't think that you should advise against the buccal facial fat removal procedure.

Another thing also, IF YOUR FACE WAS NOT AS FAT AS ARETHA FRANKLIN OR JACKIE GLEASON, THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN THE BUCCAL FAT REMOVAL PROCEDURE BECAUSE IN MY OPINION, YOUR FACE WAS NEVER FAT TO BEGIN WITH. As a matter of fact, NO ONE SHOULD EVER GET THE BUCCAL FACIAL FAT REMOVAL IF THEIR FACE IS NOT AS FAT AS ARETHA FRANKLIN'S OR JACKIE GLEASON'S. But my face is fatter than both of these entertainers. So I know that I am eligible, a plastic surgeon already told me so, and I HAVE REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS. So I am a great candidate but if your face is not as fat as Aretha Franklin or Jackie Gleason's then YOU SHOULD HAVE NOT GOTTEN THE BUCCAL FACIAL FAT REMOVAL TO BEGIN WITH ANYWAY. But I'm sorry for your demise and you can explain your experience and results in replying.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:46 AM   #9
    halina12
    Inactive

halina12 HB User
    Thanks for the information in this board. I'm wondering how much the precedure is cost.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:04 PM   #10
    zibah

zibah HB User
    Between $2,000 to $3,000 dollars.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:16 AM   #11
    TSB

TSB HB User
    Oh Zibah....I enjoyed your post! What a hoot!

I wonder if Aretha would appreciate being used as the barometer of a "fat face." Since Jackie Gleason is dead I guess his feelings aren't a concern.

But I do agree with you that face size should be accessive for this operation.

I am a 38 year old female with a roundish face. But I also weigh 172 pounds. And I know that when I was 145, my face was much slimmer. My mother laments, "lose weight honey, get those cheekbones back!" And yes, as I lose the weight (so far 10 pounds) my face is become leaner again.

(I may still need a little lipo on my double-chin)

So, before you get any kind of surgery on your face to remove fat, make sure your total body fat is not over what the healthy norm is first.

And yes, as you age, your face thins (because your fat pads head south, the muscles become lax and skin looses elasticy)

I forget what they consider to be good "fat-to-lean body mass" ratio.

Old 04-17-2003, 12:03 PM   #12
    Saz55

Saz55 HB User
    I too had been thinking about having the contour of my cheeks refined as I have a chubby smile. I was
    going to have the fat repositioned, some removed, and
    if necessary a malar implant inserted constructed by biomaterials, sutured to the bone.

What doctor said that you either lipo the fat or
    have the buccal pad removed?

peace
    Saz

Old 05-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #13
    Fac.FatTransferInRecovery

Fac.FatTransferInRecovery HB User
    I had buccal fat pads removed,
    and had abdominal fat taken and transferred to my upper cheeks ,
    lips, nasal labial folds and marionette folds..

My face is still swollen, but I can see the slight dimpling under cheekbone and a more defined chinline, cheekbone.
    This is something I never had and am glad to see.
    I am still unsure about my upper face.????
    the cheekbones on top, sides near my nose, under my eyes? very puffy.as of may 22nd,2003..had surgery on the 14th. maybe too soon to tell.
    when the swelling goes down I hope all the fat is in the proper areas.

the lips look excellent
    the buccal fat was a great thing for me to do,
    I had flat cheeks, like an asian, philipino look all my life and I was unhappy with that contour.

the thing with cosmetic surgery is the waiting,,somethimes for up to 1 year to see the total effect.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:49 PM   #14
    gwle

gwle HB User
    quick question regarding buccal fat removal.
    How do you know if your face isn't round because of large facial bone structure or just having chubby cheeks? I mean when I was in High school, I had a thin face. I was told I looked like Elvis or Morrissey to be exact. But when I hit 17 years old, my face got big. At the same time, I grew a little taller, my shoulders got broader, and I grew love handles. Even when I weighed 135 lbs at 17, I still had a big'ol face and I'm a guy! When I smile, it looks like I'm obese but I have a 32 inch waist. What gives? An orthodontist said my lower jaw out grew my upper jaw. If that has anything to do with it. Does any of this make sense? I'm just babbling, sorry. God, I wish I had my thin face back!!!!

Old 06-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #15
    billy3c

billy3c HB User
    i too am very young with a fatty face, so i can relate to the young lady who started this thread. i am only 21 years old and just as of three years ago my face began to fill out, i guess it was enevitabe based on genetics. whats worse, however, is the fact that i am a runner; so you can imagine my delima. the fact is that im 6'1", 150 lbs, so you can imagine what i look like with a fat face. in other words my face is the only fat on my entire body. i am very insecure about this problem, and i have been researching buccal fat removal now for a couple of months. now i know that most of you are going to respond, telling me to wait till i am older, however, i have already seen two doctors who said that i have the size to do it. what i am looking for is some insight on anyone who has got this procedure done, or anyone who knows of a good doctor who possible specializes in this procedure.i live in the northeast but i am not opposed to traveling. please respond, any help i can get is greatly apprediated.

Closed Thread