It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Anybody throw up after their Septo-rhinoplasty? Do Tell !

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-20-2003, 12:26 PM   #1
    zibah

zibah HB User
    Post Anybody throw up after their Septo-rhinoplasty? Do Tell !

Hi, I read another board members experience on this board that she had a bad experience under general anesthesia. Shortly after her Septo-rhinoplasty procedure, she threw up in the recovery room several times. She says she threw up blood.

Now my Septo-rhinoplasty procedure for all those who don't know what this procedure is. Well it is a combination rhinoplasty procedure consisting of both the repair of a deviated septum to help you breathe better, and cosmetic to repair the appearance of the nose.

I am scheduled to have my Septo-rhinoplasty procedure in September so I am of course greatly concerned especially since I will be going under general anesthesia.

So my question is has anybody had a bad experience under general anesthesia after having a nose job or a Septo-rhinoplasty procedure where they threw up or even worse?

I look forward to your answers as soon as possible. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 PM   #2
    Kyssa

Kyssa HB User
    Hi....It's possible that it wasn't the general anesthesia that made her vomit, especially since she was throwing up blood. After a general anethsesia for adenoid removal, I was vomiting shortly after surgery as well, and lots of it, lol. Yes, it was bloody, too. The doctors said it was because of the blood that was swallowed during surgery, not because of the anesthesia....so that may have been her case as well.

That said, I did vomit that night also (without blood), only to find out that narcotics are notorious for making some people nauseous. The pain medication I was on for that night was a heavy narcotic, which caused that episode. As soon as they changed my med, the vomiting stopped. There are some people that will get nauseous from any type of anesthesia...it's just the nature of the beast. But they are in the minority from what I know. The vomiting of blood indicates that it's probably not from the anesthesia at all, but from the swallowed blood during the surgery itself. It doesn't always happen, but can in some instances. HTH.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
    avinb

avinb HB User
    After my rhinoplasty, I apparently told the nurse I was in pain while still under anesthesia. She gave me morphine, and I'm tiny, so I can't really tolerate it. So between a heavy dose of anesthesia, morphine, and blood pooling in my stomach, I was throwing up blood for hours. I actually had to stay overnight because they were afraid that I was going to ruin my nose from all the pressure, and I needed to stay on a medication to prevent nausea and throwing up for a while. Not too pleasant =D

Old 09-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #4
    avinb

avinb HB User
    After my rhinoplasty, I apparently told the nurse I was in pain while still under anesthesia. She gave me morphine, and I'm tiny, so I can't really tolerate it. So between a heavy dose of anesthesia, morphine, and blood pooling in my stomach, I was throwing up blood for hours. I actually had to stay overnight because they were afraid that I was going to ruin my nose from all the pressure, and I needed to stay on a medication to prevent nausea and throwing up for a while. Not too pleasant =D

Closed Thread