It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• telling your family

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
    ryka
    (female)

ryka HB User
    telling your family

I am 21 and thinking about getting plastic surgery. My only problem is going to be telling my parents. They are going to be extremely upset that I am not pleased with my natural appearance. Has anyone else had to deal with a family member or freind that was not supportive of your plastic surgery decision? How did you tell them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
    alsaser
    (female)

alsaser HB User
    Re: telling your family

They might be more supportive than you think. Its very ackward telling people. In fact I'm only telling one of my sisters, my dad, and one of my good friends, no one else, not my other siblings, not my cousins, no other friends, co-workers, etc. I just told my dad I was gettiing a revision and he just was just like 'oh'.
    #1 You're an adult. You've had enough time to think things over. Chances are you've become independant and they see you are a reasonable, intelligent person. They may not agree, but I think they will respect you [I was real nervous telling my good friend even, and she was a little shocked, but understood].
    #2 They might suprise you because chances are they've considered surgery themselves. Whatever kind of surgery you're getting (you didn't mention) was passed down from your parents. In my case, I had the worst of the family nose and both my parents knew the pain of going through life with a big nose so I guess before they even had kids they discussed that our child should be able to get surgery if they're unhappy (no, my parents aren't hip, they are very conservative, just in this one issue they understand the pain).
    Chances are, your mom or aunt may have the same thing she doesn't like about herself, say its your nose, chest, whatever you're doing.
    Everytime I told someone they just started saying, 'oh, if I had to get surgery, I would get this done, or that'.
    Of course your parents love you and want you to be safe and they might think its strange, but I'm sure no matter whatm they want you to be confident and feel good about yourself. Explain to them why you are getting it and how it has effected your self-esteem.
    Good luck, and once you get it out in the open, no matter the reaction, you'll feel relieved!

Closed Thread