It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• I'm scheduled to have my eyes done! (upper and lower)...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User
    I'm scheduled to have my eyes done! (upper and lower)...

in about10 days (May 3rd.) and I am getting so excited! The surgeon I've chosen is considered to be one of the best for eyelid surgery, so I'm confident about that. He is also a board certified opthamologist. He will also be doing "liposuction" to the jaw line and fat injections around the mid face and lips (taken from my bootie or hip). I'd love to hear about the recovery including bruising and swelling time and kind of what to expect. I know what his office told me, but would love to hear from someone who has personally gone through it. Has anyone had fat injections to the face and did you find any permanance to it? How long did it last, etc., did you need to repeat it? often? I am not really interested in hearing about any nightmare complications, just want to get a realistic picture. (Please! I am already nervous enough!)
    Btw, this is my first time posting on this board. I'm just celebrated my 59th birthday and am still a plastic surgery virgin!
    I also am not telling a zillion people before hand, hoping I will just get the desired look I want...refreshed! But will deal with that one person at a time. For those who had the eyelid surgeries, did people know you had some work?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks!
    Ell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
    Ilovetocruise
    (female)

Ilovetocruise HB User
    Re: I'm scheduled to have my eyes done! (upper and lower)...

I had my upper and lower lids done, and a browlift. It took 10 years off of my face and I am so so happy i did it.
    I took 10 days off of work, but could have used a bit more. I still had some bruising under my eyes, and wore very light sunglasses indoors. My eyes were uneven at first from the browlift, but it all evened out in the end.
    My best advice to you is to take Arnica Montana immediately after the surgery. My plastic surgeon actually gave it to me. It is an herb that decreases bruising.
    Best of luck to you. You are going to love it!

Old 04-24-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

It is very exciting to look forward to scheduled cosmetic surgery! I wish you the best results and total satisfaction with the procedures.

Less than a week after I turned 50 in November last year, I had my scheduled upper and lower blepharoplasty, with under-eye laser resurfacing. I really needed it and wanted it even more. I am a youthful woman with great enthusiasm for life. I dreaded looking at my swollen eyes, droopy upper eyelids and large bags of fat under my eyes. My eyes even felt bad. After my surgery, I was elated from the first moment I awoke from anesthesia! I'm now almost 6 months post-op, and I have no regrets. The under-eye lasered areas are light pink and are well on their way to blending in with the rest of my complexion.

Please come back to share with us the results of your procedures. I'm so excited for you, too!

Old 04-24-2006, 09:53 PM   #4
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Thanks so much for the responses and your wishing me well. I do plan on giving myself 10 days to kind of "hide out" from the world. More if necessary. How soon were you able to wear concealer? eye makeup? That would help! My surgeon said gentle walking would be fine.
    I guess I am most anxious about having to sleep on my back for a full 10-14 days! Hopefully, I'll manage to fall asleep in that position. Also, I was told not to watch tv, use computer or read for 48 hours! I picked up an audio book today, and I guess I can "listen" to Oprah, and similar talk shows. Also to use iced/cold compresses (nothing too heavy)for 48 hours constantly! How did you manage that and still get some rest?
    As I mentioned I am also having some lipo to my jawline and some fat injections (my own fat), midface and lip area. Dr. said the most recovery time is with the eyes and that these procedures don't add any extra time.I will keep you posted as I go along.
    Thanks gain for sharing your experiences.
    Still excited!
    Ell

Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

Good questions, and I'll be glad to answer according to my own experience. I took Arnica Montana for 2 weeks prior to my surgery and for a week or two afterwards. It was recommended in the information brochure from my surgeon's office. Of course, I can't say whether or not it helped, however, I had only one area of bruising. I bruised only in my right temple area, and it was a dandy, but there was no bruising at all above or below the eyes.

I had my surgery on Friday and I returned to work on Wednesday. The first day back was rough, but not impossible. I work alone, and my boss comes into the office only about once a week, so my appearance was not a factor.

I wore dark sunglasses in public for the first month to conceal my bizarre appearance. That was a pain for me. I eventually found some nice, sporty, pink lense sunglasses that did not look so strange to be worn indoors. Since I had my surgery in November, I was reluctant to do any grocery shopping after the sun went down, as I felt self-conscious about being out at dark wearing sunglasses.

Caring for my lasered areas was tedious. I had to wash with soap and dress the areas with Vaseline at least 10 times a day. In the first days, as you mentioned, there are mandatory ice packs. There was a time when the lasered areas oozed an amber color fluid and I had to wash about every hour, so I could never be far from my wash/dress kit and a sink.

It was a month before the lasered areas were not so tender, when I could begin wearing concealer and dual finish powder. Vaseline was soothing, but there were times I tried prematurely to apply moisurizer that the moisturizer was too irritating. Eventually, I could tolerate the moisturizer, so your skin will tell you when it can accept coverup.

My surgeon's assistant gave me a special lotion to apply to assist in the healing, but even that was irritating for a while. I still have some left and I apply it before getting in bed. You're right about having to sleep on your back. Also, be careful for 2 weeks. I was told I could not bend over, in order not to rupture tiny capillaries. If any were to rupture, they would remain red. I did not bend over, only stooped carefully, to pick something up off the floor or put on socks and shoes. My lasered areas around the outsides of my eyes were raw for a long time, so I did not, for that reason, lie on my side in bed. Also, you need to elevate your head so as discourage swelling and capillary rupture.

I don't recall that you mentioned having any laser work done, so I might have gone on unnecessarily about the after-laser care. If you're not having laser, it's possible you'll have an easier time healing than myself. For me, the surgery itself was totally uneventful. I had not one single tinge of pain, other than the discomfort of the raw lasered skin.

I had total confidence in my PS and his staff. They were so trustworthy and capable. I would recommend him to anyone, and I would choose him again if I were to decide on additional procedures. It's so important to trust the PS. I never doubted that my results would be perfect and fulfill my every expectation.

I'll be anxiously waiting to hear from you in May. I'm very excited for you! Having an improved appearance makes all the difference. I feel like the weeks of feeling uncomfortable were well worth dealing with, especially since I've gotten a lifetime of cosmetic improvement.

Last edited by AllysHeart; 04-25-2006 at 08:22 AM.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Thanks again AllysHeart for sharing your experience. No I am not having laser resurfacing. My only "extras" will be liposuction around the jowls and fat injections around mid face (n/l) and around mouth. I also asked for just a little fat to be injected into my lips, as I don't want an overdone or too obvious result.
    I will certainly keep you posted. May 3rd. is literally around the corner! Oh and by the way, my surgeons instructions are to begin the arnica montana right after surgery and in fact to bring it with me. He didn't say anything about starting it before and I'm wondering if it would be OK to do so. I would love to have as little bruising as possible (like you did!). I'm gonna see if I can research starting it earlier and if it would be OK or even harmful?
    I am anxious for it to be May 3rd already! One additional reason being that my arthritis is so flaring since I've been unable to take my prescription arthritis med, it being an anti-inflamatory! 2 weeks is a long time to be in pain, but I think it's all gonna be worth it!
    Take care and thanks again, I will keep you posted.
    El

Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #7
    jrjake
    (female)

jrjake HB User

How'd it go??
    Let us know...

Old 05-11-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

I've been checking for a post, also. Today would be the 8th day post-op. She ought to be doing pretty good by now.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hi!

Thanks, you guys for asking about me, it really meant alot! I haven't been on the computer too much since my left eye is still quite irritated - feels a bit like it is stiched together on the outer corner; A pinching sensation with some pain over the top lid. Will have it checked if it still bothers me next week Otherwise, I am doing alright, still bruised and it seems a bit more swollen then most folks get. Still hiding out in my apartment, other than short neighborhood walks. I will definitely write more about my experience as soon as my eye feels more comfortable. In the meantime if anyone has anything specific they's like to know about the procedure(s) I had, please ask and I can respond to that.
    I know for sure, I am glad I did it. Although I can't really evaluate the outcome yet, sometimes I get a glimpse of the old me, looking really rested!

Will write more soon.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:21 AM   #10
    jrjake
    (female)

jrjake HB User

Congrats!!
    When you're feeling up to it, I'd love to hear about your progress, as I'm scheduled for July.
    Also, how did you like your doctor? Do you mind saying who it was?
    And how bout those fat injections? Are you pleased?
    Thanks,
    jrjake

Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
    AllysHeart
    (female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, ellnyc. So good to hear from you since your procedure. It sounds like you are experiencing some minor discomforts. Don't wait too long to report anything which you feel could be more than minor. I suppose you've been instructed to keep the swelling to a minimum with ice packs. My PS's resident assistant surgeon specializes in wound care, and he kept after me the day after surgery in the surgical suite to be more consistent with the ice packs. Perhaps you are having some of your discomfort due to the swelling.

I hope you feel better everyday; I know you'll be looking better everyday. I share your ecstasy in looking in the mirror and realizing the "old you" is transformed. It's a wonderful thing.

I ventured out on my 4th day after surgery, and I scared myself. I think I over-exerted, and I became concerned about sustaining some potential broken capillaries. Thank goodness I didn't have any damage. You're doing well to rest as long as possible.

I have an appt. for a 7-month checkup on the 21st of next month. The recovery process is a relatively short time, considering the lifetime of cosmetic improvement that has been accomplished.

Please keep us apprised of your recovery and satisfaction.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #12
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrjake
    Congrats!!
    When you're feeling up to it, I'd love to hear about your progress, as I'm scheduled for July.
    Also, how did you like your doctor? Do you mind saying who it was?
    And how bout those fat injections? Are you pleased?
    Thanks,
    jrjake
    Hi jrjake!
    I responded to your other post; (I used Glenn Jelks). I feel I am still too puffy to evaluate the fat injections, though I don't see too much of a difference in my lips, or the tiny parenthesis marks on the side of my mouth. I was told the body will absorb a good portion of your own fat within a few months and only 15-20% will be permenant anyway . More than 1 treatment may be necessary, though not always. Unfortunately I think I have already exceeded my budget! Believe me I am keeping a close watch, and will keep you posted. I am trying hard to not evaluate the results too soon. (This is soooooo hard!) . It really will take a couple of months to see how everything turned out!

Anyway, congrats on scheduling your cosmetic surgery appt! This will be a very exciting time. Have you made your choice of a Doctor? Who? and why did you choose him/her? Did you have any consults yet?
    Take care,
    El

Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
    jrjake
    (female)

jrjake HB User

Thanks for the response.
    I'm having serious second thoughts after reading all the posts and what can go wrong....
    Please let me know how things progress! VERY CURIOUS!
    I wish you all the best.
    jrjake

Old 05-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
    kelav
    (female)

kelav HB User

Hey I wanted to know how are you doing and if your surgery came out alright..

Let me know

Old 05-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #15
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User

So far, so good Kelav. Thanks for asking. Today is 2 weeks post-op and each day it is looking better. I still can't see the dramatic results as I still have 2 half moon red/purple bruises under my eyes - exactly where my bags use to be! But slowly it is fading. Can't wait! So far I am very pleased as I can see glimpses of the new 'refreshed" looking me!
    El

Closed Thread