It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Varicose veins...different treatments

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User
    Varicose veins...different treatments

I've been looking into different treatments for my varicose veins. I'm pregnant right now with twins so I can't get anything now, but I'm looking into my options.

Did anyone get injections done and they were happy with the results? Or any surgeries that they were happy with? What are some things that I can have done? I'm going for an ultrasound on my legs to check them out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
    Krystyana
    Inactive
    (female)

Krystyana HB User
    Re: Varicose veins...different treatments

I had one injection session for spider veins. It didn't clear it up entirely, but enough that I didn't feel I needed to go back (and I was broke anyway). I'm thinking about going back and finishing the job now...

Old 11-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
    opple
    Inactive
    (female)

opple HB Useropple HB User

If they feel it's not a medical thing, just a cosmetic issue, you won't get it covered by ins.

I have had injections, never laser.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User

How did the injections go for you? How long did the veins stay away, anything at all that you can tell me, I'd greatly appreciate it

Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
    opple
    Inactive
    (female)

The needle doesn't bother me--one pretty much expects that with this.

The injections that bruised where the vein turned brown were the best. Then it died off and was gone. And yes, it lasted.

The problem is in my city there seems to be a lack of doctors who see veins that are just unsightly as worthy of treatment. They want them to be a medical issue. You can't just say, see this vein--I want it GONE. You point it out and they nod and say, oh, that's normal.

Maybe in other cities it's better. I've read that Ireland is the best for vein treamtment. They are on toppa the whole thing and really take it seriously.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User

Thank you SO much, I've been scared to have the injections done, but after I have my twins in April I'm going to wait three months like they've stated and I'll get them treated. I guess I'm just scared of what people have been saying and that it doesn't last and the side effect that they've gotten from it, I guess it's the unknowing that scares me, ya know

Old 11-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
    1nceagain
    (female)

1nceagain HB User

I posted a long message on a thread that you asked about sclerotherapy...but I think it was from a long time ago that you wrote. Anyway, to make a long story short...I'm 23, female, have had varicose veins for as long as I can remeber but they definitely became worse throughout my pregnancy. I went in June and July of this year for an ambulatroy phlebectomy, where the make small punctures and remover the veins. Since then, I have some visable blue outlines of veins that aren't varicose, but I want treated. I swear they weren't there before the phlebectomy but maybe I just focused on the large varicose veins and didn't pay attention to them. That was all covered by insurance, but now I am going for injections on Dec.11th and that is $250 a session. The vascular surgeon said I won't need more than two sessions. I was also worried about staining, but I don't care anymore...I just want my legs to look NORMAL!!! So I will be the lab rat and let you know how it goes for me...hahaha...congrats on your pregnancy!

Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User

Awww...thanks a bunch, yep...I posted awhile ago, but didn't get anything done because I was trying to get pregnant and was having trouble so I got side tracked a little.

After I have these babies I'm definitely going to get my legs fixed...I don't think I care anymore either abou the staining...I just don't want them popping out like they do and wanna enjoy my time with my kids at the pool and stuff, please, please post and let me know how it goes...if you post in this thread I'll know that you posted through my email Hopefully this thread is still around.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
    desertdweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertdweller HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dapple

The problem is in my city there seems to be a lack of doctors who see veins that are just unsightly as worthy of treatment. They want them to be a medical issue. You can't just say, see this vein--I want it GONE. You point it out and they nod and say, oh, that's normal.
    Even when it IS a medical issue, they still don't want to do anything. When I went in to see my doctor about my leg throbbing ( I stand all day at work). He said, let's try some support hose and medication to see if it will get better. I told him that I've been using support hose since my baby was born TWENTY YEARS AGO, I don't think it's going to get better!
    He finally agreed that after twenty years of a bulging vein , something probably should be done.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
    opple
    Inactive
    (female)

Sounds like we've run into the same doctors, though I doubt it since you are probably very south of me here in the NW.

That sux that you couldn't get help when you needed, let alone wanted it. I don't know that it's just male doctors with lax attitudes about this either. I've had people say maybe so because men just aren't as worried about unsightly veins as we women. But one friend of mine went to a female doctor about a painful showing vein because she is a salesgirl standing all day--and got a lecture on body image, nothing more.

Last edited by opple; 11-18-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
    desertdweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertdweller HB User

Well, I got 5 injections in the varicose vein my calf today. He told me what the medicine was, but now I can't remember for the life of me. It didn't hurt at all. Afterward, he wrapped the leg tight and told me to walk around for about 30 minutes to get the medicine to pump through my vein. He told me to keep it wrapped for two days. He said the medicine should shrink the vein permanently. I'll let you guys know if it works.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
    npainnTN
    (female)

npainnTN HB User

I had the vein stripping when I was 15. I had a total of 21 incisions where they went in and literally pulled the vein out. I have a congenital condition called klipple treunanay that predisposes me to them. My veins were a little different because of this, so I am sure my recovery was as well. My veins in 2 areas were wrapped up in almost knots so those areas were really sore. I remember I had it done in February and they kept me out of school the rest of the year to recover. The pain for me was pretty bad, and I had a lot of bleeding. They ended up keeping me in the hospital a couple days, so they could monitor it.

The thing they told me about having stuff done to varicose veins is that when you take out/close off those veins the blood has to go somewhere so it goes through other veins. Over time these other veins also become distended. They also said I would probably need it done again in about 10 years. That was 11 years ago. I do need it redone. But not to the extent as the first one. even though the recovery was hard I would still do it again, because the relief from not having them was better than living with them.

I would definately check into other options and only use the stripping as a last resort. But it was well worth it in the end for me. Just remember after you have something done if you wear the real support hose then it will help protect the other veins.

sorry this was so long, Its hard to give advice without telling the story of why and how you know. So, hope this helps and congrats with the babies. Twins would be amazing.

j

Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #13
    air_20
    (female)

air_20 HB User

Thank you SO much for this information, you don't know how much this helps me out

If anyone has anything to post about what treatments they've had, please post

desertdweller, please let me know how it works out for you!! I'll be checking back

Last edited by air_20; 12-04-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #14
    daisy-duke77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desertdweller
    Even when it IS a medical issue, they still don't want to do anything. When I went in to see my doctor about my leg throbbing ( I stand all day at work). He said, let's try some support hose and medication to see if it will get better. I told him that I've been using support hose since my baby was born TWENTY YEARS AGO, I don't think it's going to get better!
    He finally agreed that after twenty years of a bulging vein , something probably should be done.

I have had vericose veins for 17yrs and it took me SO LONG to find a Dr to do something about it! I had surgery about 6 yrs ago and now they are back!! I have moved across the US and so far i have went to 3 dr's and all of them only deal with the "cosmetic" side of vericose veins.........so they want to charge you a ton of money! I live in Cincinnati...........if anyone has any information on a Dr..........please let me know! They tell me to wear support hose too.............Ummmmm............NO THANXS! Really this has to be the most frusterating and painful thing i deal with. I also stand all day at my job! I have them thru my pelvic area.......and then down my leg. Dr's dont have a clue how to treat my veins! The sadest part is..........im 34 and i havent worn shorts for over 15 years!!!!! Believe me.....i can relate to this post!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #15
    desertdweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertdweller HB User

Well, it's been a week now. I have some bruising in the injection areas. The vein is now small again, but I can feel a hardness to it. I stood up all 8 hours at work, then went bowling for several hours afterward. No aching, no bulge so far.

Closed Thread