It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

On that note, can we talk about labiaplasty and my recent horror story?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
evergreen33
(female)

evergreen33 HB User
On that note, can we talk about labiaplasty and my recent horror story?

Hi, Guys. This board seems more supportive than the one I originally posted on and got no response from, when I was hysterical just a couple days ago. I thought I'd post my story, now that I've calmed down a bit, to get advice, or just as a little warning to anyone thinking about the procedure. Any advice or words of wisdom from doctors, patients, anyone would be greatly appreciated.

I just had my right labia reduced on Tuesday. I've never considered plastic surgery for anything else, I'm pretty happy with my body, but I had struggled for 10 years (I'm 22 now) with this dangling thing that always seemed to get in the way and cause discomfort and embarassment. It was time to do something.

About my procedure: It lasted 20 min at the most. It was really a kind of scary process. I don't think I was completely numb, because I felt an occasional pinch during the surgery. He sprayed some hot liquid, which freaked me out because I didn't know what it was. I wish he'd explained to me exactly what he was doing, becuase it was kind of unnerving, not knowing what he was poking me with or what was coming next.

Anyway, after the procedure, the novicane wore off almost immediately! The pain got worse and worse and since they didn't give me the oxycodone prescription until AFTER the procedure, it wasn't until about two hours later that I was able to fill it, take it, and start feeling the effects. My bf filled it for me while I wailed and writhed in pain in bed. I was in absolute agony! I'm sure the neighbors must have thought I was dying. I had no idea it would be that bad. I have a pretty high pain threshhold, or at least I always thought I did. I called the doc and he said this was normal... Anyway, the pain is much better now, though it's painful to sit and I'm still loopy on the drugs.

My real concern now...(And sorry, this part gets graphic.) I finally took a look at it and the it looks like he just lopped off the whole right side! I'm hoping that's just the swelling. My vulva was swollen to almost an inch in diameter. It's gotten better, but it's still so swollen that I'm not even sure where my **** is... Is this much swelling normal?? I did have what looked like a small sack of fluid hanging below the incision for the first day, but that seems to be gone now. The stitches look really scary too - I have about 12 I think. I'm just hoping I'm not permanently deformed.

I'm guessing I made a bad choice as far as surgeons go, concerning all these problems, and his lack of a clear explanation of the side effects. Not to mention, his assistant was a complete airhead. He yelled at her for giving me the valium BEFORE i signed the waiver and had him mark the incision. I honestly don't even remember what the marking looked like, I was so out of it.

I don't know why I was so stupid. I feel like I've made a terrible mistake. I thought this procedure would be so simple. I think part of the reason I got so hysterical was not just the pain, but also the emotional effect of losing a part of my body that is very intimate. It was just a little flap of skin... who knew?

Please help. Let me know if these side effects sound normal and what I can do about the swelling and pain. Any doctors, or anyone who's had this procedure... does any of this sound familiar? I'm really nervous that I'm never going to look normal.

Also, I've heard of some people who had either reduced sensation, as in sexually, or had pain from the procedure that simply never went away. How common is this??

Thanks for reading this far. Please offer any feedback you have.

Last edited by evergreen33; 01-04-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
daisy-duke77
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User
Re: On that note, can we talk about labiaplasty and my recent horror story?

Im so sorry for your experience. Did you go to a plastic surgeon or a gynecologist? Did you do ton's of research? Including a background check? I have a horror story as well.........and i didnt do any research! Come to find out this plastic surgeon wasnt a surgeon! Mine was a breast lift gone bad! Anywayz.........i too am considering labiaplasty and i have heard successful stories and horror stories............BUT..........i am going to go through with it, this year! I trust my plastic surgeon and i have done ton's of research. I feel the issue with this procedure is............it is very very hard to find plastic surgeons that do this surgery.............even though it is becoming more common, and more out in the open. Women are talking about this more. I have lived like this for 25 years and i do have some discomfort! I am scared to death to mess with that area of my body. I will tell you that swelling is very very common and what you are describing actually seems normal.............but i abviously havent seen it. Everyone heals differently. I have heard that most women complain of the itching after this procedure, that it is almost unbearable. I am concerned that you didnt go to a plastic surgeon for this.................also you want to make sure that they Dr's have done many procedure's before your's. Do you know if you had the wedge method done? Or what type of labiaplasty???? I hope you feel better soon, and if you have a chance to maybe answer some of my questions and i can be of further help.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
evergreen33
(female)

evergreen33 HB User

Thanks daisy-duke, for your reply.

I'm doing a bit better. The swelling is down and I'm walking around, and sitting pretty comfortably. To answer your question, he was definitely a board certified plastic surgeon, graduated from Harvard School of Plastic Surgery, and claims to do this procedure about 6 times a year! So I figured I was in good hands. It was really hard to find any reviews on labiaplasty in my area and I really didn't want to travel far from home. (I live in Boston. I'd tell you who my surgeon was, but I guess it's against the rules to say things against sureons. I don't see why. How can the Health Boards be liable? You can't stop people from posting online what they think. People are going to talk and damn well SHOULD, because patients have the right to know if a surgeon is screwing up this bad, but whatever...) I'm just really mad that he didn't get me the proper care for the pain and failed to warn me of the side affects. He didn't have a very good bedside manner, I have to say, and seemed pretty insensitive to this very sensitive area of my body! I really wish I'd found a woman to do the procedure.

Anyway, if there is anything I would make sure of, besides of course finding a doc with experience and good reviews, it's that you have pain killers for RIGHT AFTER the surgery! I don't know why my surgeon didn't have me fill the prescription beforehand, but this is a must! Also, make sure you're not under the influence of anything when you sign the waiver and go over the procedure! Haha... that seems obvious, but I guess I was so nervous, I just did what the assistant told me without thinking. In hindsight, I think I ended up paying in the end for choosing a surgeon that was less expensive. He only charged me 1,500 and as a student I don't have a lot of money. But looking back I would have paid twice that for a caring surgeon and a much less traumatizing experience.

Good luck with your procedure.

evergreen

Last edited by evergreen33; 01-04-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
evergreen33
(female)

evergreen33 HB User

I don't think he did a wedge... It looks like he just cut straight from the hood all the way down the the bottom of the opening. I have a about 12 stitches. Is this method not as good as a wedge?

Last edited by evergreen33; 01-04-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
daisy-duke77
Senior Veteran
(female)

daisy-duke77 HB User

There is another method..........i cant remember what it is. I went for my consult a year ago. Im planning my surgery for May. I have had alot of ecperience with Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and some of their bedside manners are HORRILE............but they may be great surgeons! Well bad bedside manner's turns me off. My PS that i have now is way too serious.......but a great surgeon! Being too serious makes me nervous.......but he fixed my problems with my breast lift and did a great job! He is one of the only PS that i can find in my area that does labiaplasty, unless i want to travel 2-3 hrs. Which may be worth it.........but im fairly new to this area. I think you can post Dr's names on this board........BUT im not sure. A while back i think i posted the name of my "phony" surgeon that messed me up emotionally/physically. Please keep me posted on how your doing. This is one topic i love discussing with other women..........take care.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
opple
Inactive
(female)

opple HB Useropple HB User

I hope it will get better with some time. Post-op things can look mighty bad. My ps showed me some after-surgery pics of blepharoplasty (eyelid tucks) last time when I asked about it and they were kinda ghastly. But after healed, great.

I support your decision to get this done if you were sure you wanted it. I don't think I would do it for smaller lips but if one side bigger, yes, I really might.

Take care and heal up.

Last edited by opple; 01-05-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
mkj
(female)

mkj HB User

I had labiaplasty on the 4th of January. How long does it take for the swelling to go down? It sounds like you had a bad experience. My doctor was great I'm just worried how it's going to look after the stiches come out around the hood area. I'm still taking the pain pills every 4 hours. This was alot more painful than I thought it would be.

Closed Thread