It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• I tried Thermage last week

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
    covergirl
    (female)

covergirl HB User
    Re: Anyone Try Thermage Facelifts?

I tried Thermage last week - lower half of face only as my eyes and forehead do not have much wrinkling or sagging. I'm a 47 year old woman with fair skin, and some sun damage. I had slight droopiness at the jaw, but with a definite chin and jaw line. I do (did) have somewhat deep nasal labial folds, but I smile a lot too! Anyway, I'd been to the dermatologist about a year ago who suggested that my face, skin type, amount of collagen present and age made me a good candidate for Thermage. She said it isn't recommended for everyone, but could be something for me to consider if I did not want to use Botox or fillers - which I did not.
    So...I tried it! I read as much as I could and consulted with the doctor twice regarding the procedure. They did not use any anesthetic so they could gauge the level of heat I could tolerate, and even though it did feel like a hot unpleasant sting on certain areas of the face, it certainly wasn't close to the pain of childbirth! I had no melting, no red spots and no oozing or divots or other oddities that have been posted. I DID have some very minor minor swelling and low level soreness around the jawline, but it is very subtle, and no one notices it. The face in that area still feels a bit numb, but I have improvement in those areas every day. I have not had to change my makeup or anything in my daily life as a result of this treatment, and was surprisingly normal looking when I left the office. I fully expected to look like I'd had a sunburn and I did not at all. In fact, I resumed my typical activities immediately and all is well. I will say that one side of my face definitely hurt more than the other during the procedure, and that the jawline was the least pleasant area as well as close to the ears and near the nose. The area above my lip - well, I hardly felt that at all!
    As for results...they are subtle, and that is what I wanted. Plus, I'm only a week into this, so it is early to say. I will continue to post as time goes on so we can see if it really works. As for now, the fullness that is slight on my jaw absolutely is more firm than it was before so it looks good. My nasal labial folds are not nearly as pronounced, though they are not eliminated. I also had an annoying vertical sort of wrinkle (probably from sleeping on my stomach - face down) under my right eye and it is gone now! The procedure may be worth the money to me IF that continues to be gone.
    I do exercise regularly and am not overweight. I believe I am a good candidate for this because I had collagen that could be generated in my skin. I plan to protect my investment with daily sunscreen and maintaining healthy eating habits. I do think the results already make me look fresher and a few years younger. Let's put it this way. I have no desire to look 25. On the other hand, I do want to look as young as is reasonable for as long as I can. Thermage may be a good fit for this sort of expectation if you have the right skin conditions for it and have a doctor you can trust with knowledge and experience doing the procedure.
    All in all, I recommend investigating the procedure, checking with your doctor or practioner for results and experience, and getting honest and objective feedback if you are an appropriate candidate based on your own expectations and unique skin/age conditions.
    For what it's worth, I am thus far very happy with the procedure and hope that it will continue to work over the next several months or years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

I had it done 6 times. 3 times on my eyes and 3 times on my neck and jaw. It was 3 passes on each eye for 3 times during each session. For the neck and jaw it was the same but with more passes.

The recommended is 3-4 sessions for each section 4-5 weeks apart. Collegan builds over time. I see alot of improvement in my eyes but now that I am back in the sun for a good part of the day even with SPF70 the lines are coming back. The jaw is not as tight as it use to be. I started them in March of last year $300-$450 depending on the the section.

A numbing cream was applied for the sessions 3-6 so I felt no pain. For the first 2 sessions in some spots it was pretty painful but each zap is only 8 seconds. 5 seconds of heat and then 3 seconds of cooling. I had it on level 40 but it can go higher. When they applied the numbing cream it was 45. I felt heat but no pain. She had to turn it down half for the last pass on each side cause I my skin had welped from the lazer. By the end of the day it was back to normal.

I had to sit under a light light a sun lamp to help the swelling go down.

Like anything else it may or may not work for you. Just have to try it and find out.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
    WasFatNoMore
    (male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User

I had a similar proceedure called Titan (full face). Didn't do a darn thing!!!

I wonder if it would be worth trying Thermage, say, on just the neck? Just to see if it would work any better than Titan. I have good skin but am beginning to sag. Never smoked and little sun.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
    builder
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Covergirl...is this an ongoing procedure or a one time thing to achieve maximum resusts? I was considering regular plastic surgery until I seen seen pics of singer Kenny Rogers and Gene Simmons of Kiss. Both look better before their surgery that after and they can afford the best doctors.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
    FromSqueaky
    Inactive
    (female)

FromSqueaky HB User

It's on ongoing thing. You need more than one Thermage treatment. On the Thermage site is says you only need 1 treatment but that statement is incorrect. I don't know how they can say that. Every one has different types of skin with different levels of skin texture. The laser is turned higher or lower depending on your skin and pain tolerance. The less number of laser the less effects it will have on your skin. When you read other sites they state it lasts for 6 months to a year and more than one treatment is needed.

I have very fair skin with blonde hair. I scar from a mosquito bite. This did not harm me in anyway. There were certain spots that I thought I was being burned with a car cigarette lighter. That's what it felt like for the first 3 sessions. If you decide to have it done ask for the cream. I was able to go at a higher level without any pain.

Hollywood has shined a light on Fraxel and Thermage again because of Ellen Barkin from Ocean's 13. She says she has been treating herself to collagen boosting treatments Thermage and Fraxel a couple times a year for years. She said she did not know if it really worked or not but she keeps doing it for fear of what she may look like if she stopped. The articles are out there if you look.

As I said before the sun can damage the results and you will need to have more treatments. Just about anything you do that is not of good health will cause negative effects on Thermage. Like smoking, drinking, tanning, poor nutrition, medications or even genetics plays a part. When the treatment wears off you go back to aging just as before.

You can have Thermage just about anywhere on the body. The nurse at my derm's office had her knees done for the saggy skin.

Thermage is a lot safer than surgery but if you do it every year as maintenance it will add up. Depending on the state your in Thermage can cost up to $5000 for a full face. The neck is not included in the face treatment. Over time if the treatments are done yearly you will pay just as much as a face lift. Thermage resultsare not permanent.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
    covergirl
    (female)

covergirl HB User

The last poster is an experienced veteran and says it is a repeat type of thing. I just did miine, so can't really say. I guess it sort of depends what your personal threshold of "aging" is.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
    covergirl
    (female)

covergirl HB User
    Re: I tried Thermage last week

Just wanted to check back in - now that it's been about 3 weeks since I had the procedure done. I will say that the jawline on my left side still has some vague numbness, but nothing worrisome or painful. I am still pleased with the results. The lines around my mouth are still reduced from what they were pre-Thermage, and my jawline simply looks better and not quite as saggy. I do not look tight as if I've had a facelift, but my face lost about 5 years of sag! I am very encouraged about the results thus far. My doctor said I do not have to have any additional treatments and can expect this treatment to last for several years. I will just have to wait and see. I do not plan to do any more of this on my face anytime soon as the results I wanted and expected are happening. This is a subtle procedure and for some people, that may not be enough. It is fine for me! Again, little pain for me...some discomfort but not out and out pain. No problem with going about my life right after the procedure, and no topical pain killers. I let the nurse who did the procedure follow her protocols and instincts; she was really good! I would recommend this procedure still - for people who want a lift to their looks without anything dramatic. What I like about this so far is that I still look like me.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
    WasFatNoMore
    (male)

WasFatNoMore HB UserWasFatNoMore HB User
    Re: I tried Thermage last week

Covergirl: Thanks for the update! Please check-in in a week or two and let us know about the numbness and your overall progress.

Closed Thread