It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Saline or Silicone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
    TopModelDiva
    (female)

TopModelDiva HB User
    Saline or Silicone?

Can anybody tell me the differences, pros and cons and personal preferences? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
    grammaed
    (female)

grammaed HB User
    Re: Saline or Silicone?

I haven't had my BA surgery yet but my PS told me that the silicone felt more natural. He said sometimes you can get dimpling with the saline. He does both so I was leaning towards the saline, I felt they were safer.
    I've since changed my mind and going with the silicone. The silicone implants are $650.00 more that the saline :-(

Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
    VegasGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

VegasGirl HB User

I've had both, I prefer the silicone, much softer and more natural feeling. The only con is that you have to replace them after 10 years so you don't risk rupture...ruptures are more dangerous with silicone. I might go back to saline whenever I have to redo mine, just so I don't have to worry about it.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I chose saline, and they are very natural feeling. They aren't hard at all. I LOVE them.

Another factor is placement too. I went with hvaing them placed under the muscle and the end result is a nice soft swell and no "harsh" tell-tale cirle you can get sometimes if they are on top of the muscle.

Surgical technique/expertise is also a huge factor with your end result, so please choose your surgeon wisely. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy them!!

Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
    sunny88
    (female)

sunny88 HB User
    Smile Re: Saline or Silicone?

I've had both types of implants. About 15 years ago I had Saline implants. They were ok but 7 years ago I wanted to go a bit bigger so I got silicone gel implants put in. They definately feel softer and are very safe. If the bag is ever ruptured the gel cannot escape. I went under the muscle and 2nd time round went for teardrop shape instead of round shape. I also went through the areola and you can't see any scar. Since then I've had a baby and breastfeed for 7 months. If I have more children and want to redo my breasts in the future I'll definately do silicone again.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
    michelle13
    (female)

michelle13 HB User

I have had both as well. I’ve actually had 4 surgeries on my breasts. After having 2 children, I was a very saggy full C. My doctor said that I really needed a lift with the augmentation. I refused…didn’t want the scars. I went a little bigger to keep from having the lift. They were saline and below the muscle (400cc’s). They were great for about a year…then I thought they had dropped. Looking back now, they were fine…but I wanted them high and didn’t want to wear bras.

A year after the augmentation, I went in for a lift. Heeling time was about the same – a month. The main difference was I had plastic across my breasts for a few weeks. When this was removed I almost cried. They looked deformed. They were very full on top, but flat underneath…especially right under my nipple area. My doctor told me they would settle and the shape would be right. A year later, they were still a little “flat” and they also caved in around my scar whenever I flexed the least bit. It was UGLY!!!

I went in to have the scars released hoping this would help the implant to fall into place and I would have round breasts. Once again, this didn’t work. It just made my scars wider and uglier.

The first of August I went back in for surgery #4. I just started all over. I had them remove the saline and replace with silicone…but went smaller (304cc’s). In order to do this they had to put the implant on top of the muscle this time. Of course, I had another lift as well since they were smaller. I also had them reduce my areola size since I was going smaller. The recovery on this took about 2 months. Guess because the empty space where the old implant was had to close.

Found out that the reason I had trouble with the old implant was the type of implant that was used. It was not one that should be used with lifts.

It’s been 3 ½ months now and I’m FINALLY happy with my breasts! My scars are MUCH better and my breasts are ROUND!!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
    sunshine2390
    (female)

sunshine2390 HB User

I just had BA 2 1/2 weeks ago. I chose Saline implants. So far, I'm extremely happy with them. I chose to go under the muscle. I still have some pain, but it's tolerable with advil. I chose implants because I had 3 children and nursed all of them. My youngest favored one side over the other and it had become a different size. I was wearing a 34C before children and after, I was wearing a 34B. But one breast was slightly bigger than that. My doctor said it was at least a half cup difference between them. So he said we'd try to put a bigger implant in the smaller breast to even them out. He said the bigger implant should eventually settle a little more and make them appear even. He said if this didn't happen, we could go back in a do a lift of the one breast later. I had 325cc in my right breast and 375cc in my left. So far I'm happy. Love them.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

ONe thing not mentioned is if the saline implant gives out it will deflate. I am pleased you are asking. Please research everywhere about implants and contact the implant manufacturing companies, ask for their inserts so you can read up about them. When I had implants, inserts weren't given and there was no informed consent. Now there is so read, read and read so you can make your decision.
    Someone mentioned with the silicone, they need to be changed out every 10 years. Mine only lasted 3 years. I thought I had heard saline is only good about 4 years. However, I know women who have had implants for 20 years. Go figure. Good luck

Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
    VegasGirl
    Veteran
    (female)

VegasGirl HB User

I've had both and prefer the silicone, much softer and more natural. But yeah, you are advised to change them after ten years so you don't risk rupture. I would DEFINITELY look into the new "gummy bear" implants, the silicone is a lot firmer/denser and doesn't leak if there's a rupture. Much safer! Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM   #10
    desertdweller
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

desertdweller HB User

I have Cohesive Gel implants ( the new silicone) and they do not have to be replaced every 10 years. My implants came with a lifetime guarantee and my plastic surgeon said it is a fallacy that they have to be replaced after 10 years. If you do your research, you will find the new silicone as very safe.

That being said, both saline and silicone have pros and cons. I can think of a few:
    Saline Differences:
    If your breasts are uneven, saline can be filled to different levels to even them out a bit. Silicone implants are prefilled.
    There is a slightly less chance of capsular contracture with saline implants.
    There is a smaller scar with saline, since the implants are rolled up, inserted, then filled up. If you want your implants inserted though the belly button you must go with saline.
    Silicone Differences:
    Saline is soft, but silicone is very soft, jiggling and feeling more like real breast tissue.
    There is less of a chance of rippling with silicone implants, but it can happen with either types of implants.
    Cohesive Gel ( silicone ) is the consistency of Jello, therefore it will not deflate like saline in the event of a leak. Either an MRI or a mammogram is needed to find silicone leaks. Cohesive gel has not been found to migrate though out the body with a leak.

You have to just weigh all your options and decide which you want.

Closed Thread