It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• scheduled for tummy tuck

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 AM   #1
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User
    Question scheduled for tummy tuck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am scheduled for a tummy tuck with lipo suction for the flanks and an upper eyelid surgery. My PS said it would be an outpatient surgery....no need to stay overnight unless I had a complication. Has anyone else done it on an ourpatient basis?
    Also, I don't fully understand the drainage tubes. where are they put in and how long do you have them??
    I do have another consultation with the doctor prior to surgery, but I would like to hear from someone who has been there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #2
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User
    Re: scheduled for tummy tuck

mine wasn't outpatient b/c I had a complete hysterectomy at the same time but yes 99% are done on an outpatient basis. Just make sure you have some good help for a few days or more when you get home.

Anyway, the drainage tubes are placed on your front side below the incision line midway between there and your pubic area. They help with the fluid retention/swelling. I had mine in for a good bit and then when they removed them I still had to have fluid drained off for a week or two more (didn't hurt). Make sure you have some loose fitting sweat pants to wear for a while - definitely no tight blue jeans at first.

Tummy tucks can be quite painful during recovery BUT it is one of the most rewarding. I kick myself for waiting so long to have the surgery.

Hope this answers your questions - if not ask again.......

ps. when is your surgery??

Old 09-16-2007, 01:33 AM   #3
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User

thanks for the info!! I'm scheduled for the 12th of October. are there awful bags you have to wear with the tubes? I would image so!! Sweat pants it is !! I've having the surgery out of state and was hoping to fly back on the 23rd....do you think that could be possible?
    I also just started taking Chantix to stop smoking, PS won't do it if I'm smoking!! Says I won't heal as well..
    as far as the pain....he said that it will be nothing as bad as a total knee replacement I had and the physical therapy afterwards. Had a hystertomy 8 years ago and no problems...

Last edited by golfmom01; 09-16-2007 at 01:36 AM.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

wow your surgery is right around the corner Are you excited? Tummy tucks are fantastic!!

Yes there are little bulb bags attached to the tubing (imagine a large egg) and sweat pants will be your friend. I safety pinned the bags to my compression garment to keep them from dragging. I had to measure and empty mine each day. Not bad though. Another suggestion I would give you is to get an elevated toliet seat with handles and a shower seat/stool. These both helped me out a lot. You will not feel like standing up straight for a while and getting up and sitting down will be painful at first b/c your stomach will be TIGHT.

I was/am a smoker but quit 4 weeks prior and didn't smoke (or want to) afterwards for about 2 months. It really does make a difference especially with scarring. Chantix is great - it wasn't out when I had mine. I hope it works for you (I recently tried it and it worked for me but upset my stomach too much so I had to stop taking them ).

Keep in touch and let me know if you have any other questions. And I have had seven knee surgeries and the pain is so different - I agree with your doctor, not to mention a tummy tuck is much more rewarding (selfishly of course, lol).

take care

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
    luckystar
    (female)

luckystar HB User

golfmom01,

I live in your area. I live in Downingtown. I guess you can fly that soon. Good luck. I am soo happy i did it. I wasnt the first few days but after that i was fine. Well i was OK i should say. I had amazing support. I did nothing for 2 weeks. My doctor also said I swelled up more then anyone he has ever seen

I got like a little fanny pac that came from the doctors i guess that the drains went in. I woke up and they were there. I could not fit into my regular clothes for weeks. It is so worth it though. The only thing is the no feeling in my stomach. i guess the nerves never reattached so i have no feeling
    I had mine done almost 2 yrs ago.

My doctor put like this plug in my belly button. Make sure you change it and keep one in there. I could not stand someone pushing it in, wish i left it in more then i did.

Your stomach will be so tight. Dont try to stand up until you are ready. I thought i was never going to be able to stand up right again without ripping my skin but you do, and it stretches.
    CONGRATS.....

Last edited by luckystar; 09-17-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User
    Talking Re: scheduled for tummy tuck

Luckystar,
    Hello neighbor! Glad to hear you have enjoyed yours so much !!
    how long did you have the drainage tubes in? I'm really excited about having it done...after several surgeries, by stomach just hangs over the scar! If i weighted 90 lbs it would still be there. My husband does not want me to have it! I believe he thinks I could do enough sit ups to get rid of it. Which we girls know is not going to happen! I haven't been in PA even a year yet, but I'm having the surgry done in TN. My parents and other family live there and many have used this PS, so I trust him completely.
    Good to hear from someone near me!!

Old 09-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #7
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

Golfmom-Where in TN are you having yours? I'm in Nashville. There are some great PS here; I went to Dr. DeLozier and he was great, not to mention easy on the eyes

I think you'll do ok flying home - luckily it will be a short flight. You might still be a bit slow getting up and down from a seated position but outside of any complications and your PS saying its ok - I'm sure you'll do ok.

And I was the same way with my belly - didn't matter how much weight I lost "it" was still there....grrrrr. BUT not anymore - it's flat as a pancake and wow its been almost 7 years I think.

take care

Old 09-23-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User
    Smile Re: scheduled for tummy tuck

Hi River525!!

I going to Cleveland, Tn near Chattanooga to have mine done.
    Asked for assistance changing in Atlanta on the return trip since it will only have been 11 days and I'm not sure how far the walk will be.....not sure if I'll need it, but just incase!
    I am so sick of the "roll" over my scar I could just scream!! Only a couple more weeks !!!
    Now I've really got to get serious about stopping smoking this week!! The PS said I had to 2 weeks prior and after or he just might not do the surgery
    Good to hear from a good ole southern belle!!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

I love the Chattanooga area!!

Good move on planning the need for assistance in the airport!! Hopefully you won't need it but like you said who knows what can happen.

Good luck on the smoking - being a smoker myself, I have to tell ya, the doctors are being truthful about smoking and surgery, especially cosmetic - the scars don't heal as well/quick, not to mention being under anesthesia and being intubated. I smoked when I had gallbladder surgery and my surgeon immediately knew by the way my scar was healing!! It totally freaked me out b/c I "forgot" to mention my smoking to him. And then when I had my tummy tuck I quit and didn't start back for about 4 weeks afterwards and within a couple of days I swear my scar turned red again.

Have you tried Chantrix? I used that for about a month and it really helped a lot BUT made me feel sick so I had to quit taking it and of course I went right back to smoking. I have a consult myself in 2 weeks with my PS to talk about having my eyes done (ugh old age) and I'm going to give Chantrix one more try and I'm hoping scheduling this surgery I will stop once again and hopefully this time forever. I have such a love hate relationship with smoking......don't even get me started, lol.

take care and keep me posted

Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User
    Unhappy Re: scheduled for tummy tuck

How long before your tummy tuck did you quit smoking? I have been on Chantix for 1 1/2 weeks......have cut down alot, but not able to quit completely. They dont taste as good and I have to admit I don't think about them as often. Can the doctors do a test to see if you've completely quit or not???? I have never been told to quit for any other surgeries...hysterectomy, total knee or any of the others??? and I have always healed just fine. The only other problem is I'm also a diabetic on oral medication....not good to smoke either.
    I'm also having my upper eyelids done at the same time! I'm not one that could have it done in the office without being completely under! I have a very low tolerance to pain plus I'm a very nervous person....

Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 AM   #11
    river525
    (female)

river525 HB User

no test that I know of - if you are down to 1-2 ciggs you should be ok. If you are not already just make sure and drink a lot of water (not overkill) but that will help flush your body too. And try to leave them behind when you come to TN and then you'll be able to go in to the hospital a non smoker? I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard or thought of --

And yes I agree with you - no other dr told me or asked me prior to my other surgeries about smoking....BUT I did see a difference on healing time and scars when I was not smoking so who knows. EVerybody is different and heals differently too.

I wish you much luck and if you got anymore questions, etc just let me know but definitely let me know how it goes!! I'll be thinking about ya.

Spanx will be your best friend too after you get out of the compression garment. It will feel so weird when they tell you you can take that off. I literally felt like my stomach was still there - strange strange sensation. BUT in a good way

take care

Old 09-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
    luckystar
    (female)

luckystar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by golfmom01 View Post
    Luckystar,
    Hello neighbor! Glad to hear you have enjoyed yours so much !!
    how long did you have the drainage tubes in? I'm really excited about having it done...after several surgeries, by stomach just hangs over the scar! If i weighted 90 lbs it would still be there. My husband does not want me to have it! I believe he thinks I could do enough sit ups to get rid of it. Which we girls know is not going to happen! I haven't been in PA even a year yet, but I'm having the surgry done in TN. My parents and other family live there and many have used this PS, so I trust him completely.
    Good to hear from someone near me!!
    Ugh i think they were in for 4 weeks...i feel like it was years ago....my husband took care of that for me they do not hurt..and like i said i had this pouch to put them in...cause at the end of the tubes are the balls that fill with stuff just dont look I am still numb in the stomach..it never came back so i did not really feel it when the doctor pulled them out.....i do remember waking up and feeling so nauseas and thinking are you kidding me i have to get up and get in the car...that was rough....but no matter what i say or anyone says it all was SOOOO worth it.... Are you getting a pain pump??? I knew it was going to be like tubes under my incision, but i thought it was where i could hit the button and get pain meds right away...i was wrong...

Good Luck, It is so worth it. There is no way EVER that sit-ups will take that extra skin away...not even a million a day! I do not smoke but i know my doctor was like no way about surgery and smoking. I healed slower then anyone ever so who knows.....When is the day...i forget

Last edited by luckystar; 09-27-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #13
    TXChica70
    Inactive
    (female)

TXChica70 HB User

It's been interesting for me to read these posts as I have my full tuck scheduled for 17 Dec. I'm a little nervous not because of the pain from the surgery alone but because anesthesia makes me nauseous and I'm afraid I'll be wretching which would be extremely painful.

My doctor is inserting a pain pump directly onto my incision. Suppose to have it for 3 days which will lessen my need for prescription pain pills which make me sick.

I noticed you're having additional surgery with your tuck as have many other people. Both doctors I spoke to recommended I not do this as it adds an unnecessary complication.

I will say one of the docs told me when he was describing the actual surgery and the fluid that results. Imagine when you skin your knee, just how much fluid drains from a small scrape like that. Now imagine an incision the entire size of your abdomen. That's a lot of area that will be draining which is why the tubes are necessary. Your body can reabsorb the fluid but the tubes help the fluid drain faster.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope your write to say how it went. I'll be curious as I'll be going through it right afterward.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #14
    luckystar
    (female)

luckystar HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TXChica70 View Post
    It's been interesting for me to read these posts as I have my full tuck scheduled for 17 Dec. I'm a little nervous not because of the pain from the surgery alone but because anesthesia makes me nauseous and I'm afraid I'll be wretching which would be extremely painful.

My doctor is inserting a pain pump directly onto my incision. Suppose to have it for 3 days which will lessen my need for prescription pain pills which make me sick.

I noticed you're having additional surgery with your tuck as have many other people. Both doctors I spoke to recommended I not do this as it adds an unnecessary complication.

I will say one of the docs told me when he was describing the actual surgery and the fluid that results. Imagine when you skin your knee, just how much fluid drains from a small scrape like that. Now imagine an incision the entire size of your abdomen. That's a lot of area that will be draining which is why the tubes are necessary. Your body can reabsorb the fluid but the tubes help the fluid drain faster.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope your write to say how it went. I'll be curious as I'll be going through it right afterward.
    TXChica70: I just wanted to say that it was my fear as well to get sick. I remember how much my stomach muscles would bear down when I would get sick so it is the LAST thing I wanted to do. At the doctors office right after surgery I swore it was coming up The nurse gave me those alcohol swabs to sniff...It worked...it calmed my stomach for some reason...I do not know why....let me tell you though i probably sniffed way more rubbing alcohol then you should.. i did this for two weeks. I would literally shove cotton balls into the end of my nose if i felt it coming on. Trust me it is the last thing you want to do...The pain meds made me so sick...itchy and nauseas....

I remembered one night my husband made me laugh and it hurts so bad that i was crying and laughing at the same time

It is all worth it....GOOD LUCK...

Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 AM   #15
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User

Hello! Never heard of those pain pumps directly into the stomach. A friend of mine only had her drainage tubes 5 days. I have never gotten sick from anesthesia...I only wake up extrememly "mean" and usually screaming in pain so that the whole hospital knows I'm there!
    I've heard of Spanx, but never tried them. I suppose I'll be in sweats for awhile. I heard sometimes it takes 6-8 weeks for swelling to go down? That will bother me, I'm the type of person that likes to see instant gratification. I'll also have the bruising with my eyelids to deal with. My doctor will only do 2 procedures at 1 time, and one has to be less invasive, such as eyelids that they do in the office all the time. I'm too "chicken" to have it done while awake so this is perfect for me.

Closed Thread