It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Facial scar - treatment/coverup ideas?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
    cherry_x
    (female)

cherry_x HB User
    Facial scar - treatment/coverup ideas?

Just to let any mods out there know, this has been x-posted from the Beauty and Cosmetics board...I didn't know this board existed until after I posted the original post. Anyway, I thought some of the fine people that frequent this board might have some more insightful answers as I haven't gotten any from the B&C board. If this is out of line in any way, please let me know. Thanks.

"Hey all, I am new to the board and joined because I especially wanted this question answered.

A few years ago, I was playing in my school's gym only to get hit in the face with a basketball. The ball scraped my (then metal) glasses down my nose, taking off an entire layer of skin and causing me incredible pain.

Since I was pretty young and didn't know how to take care of it myself, and also since it hurt like a...*ahem*, I left the layer of skin on the wound.

It ended up healing just fine, but it did leave a raised bump (from, I'm assuming, my not removing the dead skin).

I had plastic surgery on my nose about two years ago for another reason (more scarring) a while back. The surgeon told me that the work they had done around the scar on my nose would cause the bump to flatten out more and become less noticeable.

For the most part, it has, and my (now plastic) glasses tend to cover the part that isn't completely flattened yet.

My questions:

1. If anyone has had a similar experience, how much more can I expect the scar to flatten out (if any)? I can try to post pictures later if it would help in determining the answer to this question.

2. Does anyone know if there are any creams/ointments that would help in the flattening of this scar? I did pick up some sort of cream (a cheap something-or-other from Walgreens'), but I haven't been using it religiously. Would it help?

3. Has anyone found any methods of applying makeup particularly useful in covering up raised scars (or even flat scars - I have one on my nose too)?

4. As a last resort, could anyone tell me if there's a way that I could have some type of surgery to help with it or if more surgery would even help? Does anyone have a price range?

Thanks so much for all your help! I look forward to meeting you guys around the boards and helping out wherever I can."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
    leeleelanilou
    (female)

leeleelanilou HB User
    Re: Facial scar - treatment/coverup ideas?

Hi. Mederma for scars works pretty well if used as directed. I had incisions from a breast reduction & it made them lighter. It might help if you massage the bump on your nose when ever you have a free moment. This might help break down the scar tissue. I think you're suppose to use the Mederma twice a day. I also bought a generic Walgreens brand but I haven't used it enough to tell if it works as well as Mederma.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
    Dee2000
    (female)

Dee2000 HB User

Massage and mederma are not likely to help an old scar. You can either do the CO2 laser or just plain scar revision - you should go see a plastic surgeon for help!

No cream will help at this point, unfortunately - probably not even steriods injected - the skin has matured so, your only bet would be either the dermabrasion with CO2 or Fraxel or the scar revision.

I do think Prescriptives has a custom blend foundation that is thick - recommended for raised scars.

Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
    peppurr
    (female)

peppurr HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dee2000 View Post
    Massage and mederma are not likely to help an old scar. You can either do the CO2 laser or just plain scar revision - you should go see a plastic surgeon for help!

No cream will help at this point, unfortunately - probably not even steriods injected - the skin has matured so, your only bet would be either the dermabrasion with CO2 or Fraxel or the scar revision.

I do think Prescriptives has a custom blend foundation that is thick - recommended for raised scars.

Good Luck!
    I agree (from experience). I broke my nose a couple of years ago and I had it reconstructed by a plastic surgeon. As a result a bump appeared at the bridge. I went back to the PS and he CO2 lasered it. Totally smoothed it out. Amazing! There was some discoloration (reddish mark), however, and that faded over time. Recently I started using Olay's Microdermabrasion Treatment and it looks totally normal now.

Closed Thread