It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• panniculectomy vs tummy tuck.. what is better?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
    tangerinedream8
    (female)

tangerinedream8 HB User
    panniculectomy vs tummy tuck.. what is better?

I was an overweight teenager, reaching 230 lbs (and 5ft tall.) I have a lot of loose skin that flaps over. I also have had one baby 13 months ago and am pregnant with my second one. Between pregnancies I lost another 20 lbs, brining my weightloss to 100 lbs. I would like to lose another 30 lbs after the birth, but I realize this will result in more of a flap. Considering I am in my young twenties, and my skin did tighten a slight bit between births, what do people suggest is best for me? I would like to go with the panniculectomy since it's less invasive, but I also don't want to have bad results and end up going back for a tummy tuck.

I'm not looking so much to have abs, just a flat smooth stomach. The skin makes me look bigger, gives me irritations and makes it harder to find pants that will fit properly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
    Dee2000
    (female)

Dee2000 HB User
    Re: panniculectomy vs tummy tuck.. what is better?

Tangerine,

Are you planning on having more children in the future?

A panniculectomy is strictly removing the skin flap that tends to hang. It will do nothing to the actual "stomach" area. You will have the same scar either way, but if you're planning on more children, most doctors would probably advise to wait on the tummy tuck b/c it would be a waste of time and money.

The risks are the same for both surgeries. The tummy tuck sounds more invasive, but you would have the same risks for both. In a TT, you just tighten the abdominal muscles that have loosened from pregnancies and weight gain - which means the surgeon sutures the muscles together once the flap is raised. Usually the surgeon will remove up to or above the belly button in a TT. In a panniculectomy, you just get the flap removed. They are both large surgeries. TT just sounds more, but in actuality, they are the same surgery with a minor addition.

Sometimes, insurance will pay for the panniculectomies = even medicare for older people, but the flap has to be a certain depth or cause other health problems like rashes etc.

Being 29 myself, and assuming you do not plan on having more children, I would go ahead and do the tummy tuck so you can enjoy that bikini!! Also, always go get a second/third opinion. Never hurts.

Also, you may want to be within 20 pounds of your ideal weight to get the better, lasting results of a TT. That's asked alot also.

Closed Thread