It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• What can be done for hooded eyelids

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
    dswenson1955
    (female)

dswenson1955 HB User
    What can be done for hooded eyelids

What can be done for hooded eyelids

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
    golfmom01
    (female)

golfmom01 HB User
    Re: What can be done for hooded eyelids

There is a very simple procedure (forgot medical name) where they cut out part of the eyelid so that it doesn't droop down. Mine were so bad I think they were over my eye lashes!! It can be done in the PS's office with just some numbing. Mine were done while I also had a tummy tuck so I was not awake. Afterwards, I just kept ice packs on them and there was never really any pain. I did have swelling for a few days and bruising for a couple of weeks. It's been just over 6 weeks and you can hardly see the incision anymore..it is right in the crease of the eyelid.
    I'd do it again in a heartbeat !!
    Go to Plastic Surgeon and just have them take a look....it is well worth it !!
    My eye's actually "stand out" again and I have eye lashes that were hidden with the droopy skin !!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

My eyelids were almost completely covered by excess skin. I didn't realize my vision was partially affected. I would raise my eyebrows alot to open my eyes up. I had surgery in a center by a dr who specialized in eyelid surgery. She made the incisions in the fold of the eyelid. They can't even be seen. I was sore afterwards, looked pretty gross for about 10 days but it was so worth it. I look so much younger, and I can see better. My insurance covered it.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
    Nexis
    (male)

Nexis HB User

You could have a condition called "Ptosis". It can be congential or acquired throughout the years do to aging/skin drooping.

Insurance can can cover this procedure OR some do both a cosmetic surgery to make the eyes look bigger which would not be covered by insurance.

You can see a ophthalmologist or a eyelid plastic surgeon. It depends if the muscles of your eyelids are causing the drooping or just the skin is overlapping the eyelid.

Last edited by Nexis; 12-03-2007 at 02:52 AM.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
    gingertea
    Veteran
    (female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
    Re: To Mel 52

It caught my eye when you said your eyelid surgery was covered by insurance. Exactly how bad does it have to be before it goes from cosmetic surgery to medical surgery? Did you have any trouble before surgery with headaches, etc. that made you decide to see an opthamologist? Does the op do the surgery, or do they send you to a plastic surgeon? How long did it take and was it uncomfortable? I am just full of questions because I know I'll probably have to have it done in the not to distant future.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I didn't expect to have the insurance cover the surgery. I went to an ophthalmic plastic surgeon to get an idea of what the cost would be. She did tests to see my field of vision. My vision was affected without me realizing it. My left eye drooped alot more than my right eye. I had a tendency to raise my eyebrows which lifted the fat off my lids. She took pictures and submitted the results to the insurance company. They approved it.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oops sorry Gingertea, I didn't answer. I didn't really have headaches. I just hated the way I couldn't see my lids anymore and putting liner on wasn't easy any more. I was surprised to find out how much my lids blocked my vision as it was a gradual process.
    The surgery took an hour. I spend another hour in recovery. I looked creepy because of the stitches. It hurt no doubt about it but it was bearable. I stayed in the house for a week. It just felt better to keep my eyes closed. I was able to go out with sunglasses on. It took about a month. She did a beautiful job. I was so afraid I would have that surprise look, but no it is very natural.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:45 AM   #8
    Nexis
    (male)

Nexis HB User

I know that if the drooping/hooding is interfering with one's field of vision, then insurance can consider it being covered.

It depends on the insurance company if they are willing to cover it as well.

Last edited by Nexis; 12-05-2007 at 01:45 AM.

Closed Thread