It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cosmetic / Plastic Surgery Message Board

• Anyone had a breast reduction at 48???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
    bev5493
    (female)

bev5493 HB User
    Anyone had a breast reduction at 48???

I have considered this for a long time and guess now might be the time if it is safe. Iam a size 40h and I have had it mother nature has taken its course and what i use to have in the top is all by my navel and it is killing my shoulders and upper back and also my front of my chest. I have gone a couple of times and once my insurance would not pay and once the doctor scared me to death. He said I have fibercystic breast and very large and i would have alot of infection. I smoke and have for many years and I know they say that would have to cease 2 weeks prior. What are the chances of a good recovery at my age, or making it out of it? I mean he scared me to death. I now live in the corpus christi texas area and will look for a doctor here. But i thought i would get some feed back from someone who may have experienced it at this age and this big and also with being a smoker for so long. Any advice greatly appreciated Thanks Bev

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
    Mamasan2007
    (female)

Mamasan2007 HB User
    Re: Anyone had a breast reduction at 48???

Your age is not an issue at all, or that you have large fibrocystic breasts, what is a HUGE issue is that you smoke.
    This surgery does not end well, in smokers. Nipple loss can occur.
    I would quit for 6 months, and then go have several consolations.
    Also, read up on breast reduction, techniques.

Ask you gyno, and your GP for some recommendations for a good PS. Or check your with insurance, they will have list of covered doctors. Choose well, ask to see pics and made sure your comfortable with the PS and his office.

This is a really wonderful surgery, I have had it! And I am thrilled! And I am a bit older than you---

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
    bev5493
    (female)

bev5493 HB User

Thank you so much I will really check it out first and stop smoking. I make that one sound easy. Did you do well?Was it a hard surgery? Any more tips? Thanks Bev

Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
    Mel52
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I agree about age not being an issue but smoking is. My mother-in-law had breast reduction when she was in her 50's so she could compete in marathons. She was happy as can be.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
    salome33
    (female)

salome33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bev5493 View Post
    I have considered this for a long time and guess now might be the time if it is safe. Iam a size 40h and I have had it mother nature has taken its course and what i use to have in the top is all by my navel and it is killing my shoulders and upper back and also my front of my chest. I have gone a couple of times and once my insurance would not pay and once the doctor scared me to death. He said I have fibercystic breast and very large and i would have alot of infection. I smoke and have for many years and I know they say that would have to cease 2 weeks prior. What are the chances of a good recovery at my age, or making it out of it? I mean he scared me to death. I now live in the corpus christi texas area and will look for a doctor here. But i thought i would get some feed back from someone who may have experienced it at this age and this big and also with being a smoker for so long. Any advice greatly appreciated Thanks Bev
    Hi...I agree with others who have responded to you. Your age is not an issue. My mother had breast reducion at the age of 57! It was important for her and she decided to have it done. She choose Dr. Philip Godfrey in New York where she lives. It gave her a new lease on her confidence and general life. However, the smoking is indeed an issue. I have a friend whom I recommended to Dr. Godfrey after my mother had surgery. She smoked and had to stop for about 3 months before having surgery.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
    marina1946
    (female)

marina1946 HB User

Hi Bev,

I am 48 and have lost 80kgs in the last few years and have just booked to have Cosmetic Surgery in Malaysia. I am having a Breast Reduction and Lift, Arm Lift, Thigh Lift, Tummy Tuck and Liposuction. I feel good about my decision, but am happy to update you along the way with my journey. I am leaving in a week and having surgery 5th December, I have booked with Health Horizon Holidays, let me know if you would like me to share my experience with you.

Marina

Old 11-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
    emsgirl2
    (female)

emsgirl2 HB User

I was 53 years old when I had BR surgery in 2003. I'm so glad I finally did this for myself after dreaming about doing it for many years. I say go for it. Like all the other posters have said to you I agree there is a big problem with the smoking. My board certified surgeon will not operate on a patient who smokes. It can complicate the healing process and can stop your nipples from healing and just mess up your surgery. My healing process wasn't terrible. I was very sore for around a week after the surgery, and then day by day it got easier. I'm very happy with the result of my BR. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
    Moses195
    (female)

Moses195 HB User

Hi Bev,
    I had the surgery this past May at age 51 and I couldn't be more thrilled. I agree with the others about smoking. My surgeon would not operate on a smoker either due to the probable complication of loss of nipple, etc. It's worth quitiing!!!

I was a 38DD (stuffed into my bra), I am now a very comfortable 38C. One suggestion, which is of course your own personal decision, if in doubt go a little smaller. My sister-in-law had the surgery a few months before me and only went down to a D. She's still pretty big and you know if you gain weight, that's the first place you gain and the last you lose!!!

I'd do it again in a hot minute. Best decision I ever made! Don't do it in the summer. Every doc is different, mine has been doing it for YEARS, but I had to wear gauze and sort of ace bandage bindings for several days and it was HOT! I did not have drains, which some Dr's do. Let me know if you'd like any more specifics. Too bad you're not in NY. My Drs' the BEST! His group is like the oldest Plastic surgery group in the country.

My insurance covered everything as I have had neck/back problems for years and had been seeing a chiropractor for 18 years. By the way, my neck/back problems have been greatly alleviated! I have 4 bulging discs in my neck, so I still have some pain, but the relief has been remarkable!

Good Luck!

Moses

Old 12-27-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
    bp8me2
    (female)

bp8me2 HB User

Yes, I had one this year at the age of 48. I went from a 38D-DD to a 38C and feel so much better!! I had neck and shoulder probs beforehand. No complications at all. I'm a non-smoker. I would suggest taking the time in selecting a PS. I had very little scaring (almost invisible); however, a friend of mine had a BR and is seriously scarred - dark scars. If possible, see if you can see some before and after photos from the docs you visit. Don't let the cost of the surgery be the biggest factor in having BR surgery (like my friend). You won't regret it. I feel great. Good luck.

Last edited by bp8me2; 12-27-2008 at 06:28 AM.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
    Choice
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Choice HB User

Quit smoking and do it as soon as you can. My mother was 65 when she had the surgery, and as much as she loved the results, it wasn't soon enough to prevent serious upper back issues.

She quit smoking about 5 years before the surgery, though she didn't quit for the surgery, but for herself. She tried many times. What worked for her was a smoking cessation class sponsored by the American Lung Association. I don't know if the classes are still offered (this was 1981), but I'm sure the ALA still has tools to help you quit.

I quit in 1998 using Wellbutrin. I was the last in my family to quit, and to be honest, I had a lot of guilt in the beginning, because...it was much easier for me to quit using the Wellbutrin than it was for any of my family members using patches, the classes, hypnosis, cold turkey, etc.

Don't quit smoking just to have the surgery and then start smoking again. You will NEVER regret quitting. And once your sense of smell returns, and you're around a smoker, you will be disgusted when you realize how you, your clothes and your breath once smelled.

Good luck!

Closed Thread