It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board

• Costochondritis or something worse?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
    megant19
    (female)

megant19 HB User
    Costochondritis or something worse?

Hi -

I am a 33 year old female former smoker. I have been having chest pains on either side of my sternum for several weeks. The pain is worse when I move my shoulders forward, or "flex" that area of my chest. Doesn't hurt to breathe, and it is somewhat sore to the touch. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has diagnosed me with costochondritis. He took spinal and side view x-rays. I suffer from very bad health anxiety. I am so afraid that I am being misdiagnosed and that I have lung cancer. I have expressed my concerns and my chiro says that he will be glad to refer me for diagnostic testing however my symptoms do not warrant that and they are presenting completely as classic costochondritis. Anyone out there suffer from this and can ease my mind a bit? I'm sure the massive amount of stressing I am doing over this is not helping the situation. I feel like I'm losing it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
    hdobbs
    (male)

hdobbs HB User
    Re: Costochondritis or something worse?

Hello. I wish I had the best answer to give you, but,

I was also diagnosed with Costochondritis (First time in my life and it was due to a severe bronchitis infection - they just diagnosed it because I gave them the symptom that my ribs in the front hurt, but that's another story), but in my case - after the pain in the front subsided - my right ribcage gives me constant tightness and pain - especially if I turn to one side and "crack" the tightness loose...

Same thing as you say, breathing doesn't seem to affect it. I'm seeing a pulmonologist at present, so hopefully he can see what this costochondritis is or isn't, but from what I hear this disorder has no cure...

I'm also a former smoker (OH god the health anxiety is horrible). But I will tell you right now - I'd also prefer costochondritis over a lung disease any day...

FYI I my doctor had diagnosed my continued costochondritis as anxiety, and, like you, I also suffer from health anxiety, and the problem with this is that whatever diagnosis you get, you always tend to question.

My doctor told me the same thing yours did - "You can take another test but I'm sure it's fine or whatever I said it was". My point is if you're unsure about this doctor's diagnosis, get a second opinion...

Not much help, I know...but "second opinion" is the only thing I can do for myself at this point...

Last edited by hdobbs; 10-05-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added ingredients

Old 10-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
    hdobbs
    (male)

hdobbs HB User

OOps Double posted...

Last edited by hdobbs; 10-05-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: double post

Old 10-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
    hdobbs
    (male)

hdobbs HB User

Hello. I wish I had the best answer to give you, but,

I was also diagnosed with Costochondritis (First time in my life and it was due to a severe bronchitis infection - they just diagnosed it because I gave them the symptom that my ribs in the front hurt, but that's another story), but in my case - after the pain in the front subsided - my right ribcage gives me constant tightness and pain - especially if I turn to one side and "crack" the tightness loose...

Same thing as you say, breathing doesn't seem to affect it. I'm seeing a pulmonologist at present, so hopefully he can see what this costochondritis is or isn't, but from what I hear this disorder has no cure...

But I will tell you right now - I'd also prefer costochondritis over a lung disease any day....

FYI I my doctor had diagnosed my continued costochondritis as anxiety, and, like you, I also suffer from health anxiety, and the problem with this is that whatever diagnosis you get, you always tend to question.

My doctor told me the same thing yours did - "You can take another test but I'm sure it's fine or whatever I said it was". My point is if you're unsure about this doctor's diagnosis, get a second opinion...

Not much help, I know...but "second opinion" is the only thing I can do for myself at this point...

Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
    FERRARI123
    (female)

FERRARI123 HB UserFERRARI123 HB User

Hi There

Sorry to hear about your pain and I hope you find something that will help you .
    I am a 41 yr year old women who was a former smoker (trying to become one again) and I also suffer from health anxiety go figure ...my costo I find is worse when I have to have my cycle or stressed out or damp weather ...I have been to several ER and all the same ...not heart related but when the pain really gets bad I wonder if I am being misdiagnosed ....

Thing is I can handle the tenderness and the soreness it is the sharp sternum pain that I cannot handle they scare me even tho I know what they are.

I am currently seeing a dr now they think I may have a muscle issue as well and I am going to see a chiropractor ...but one thing I can tell you is ...if you want a second opinion go for it ...although we suffer from health anxiety we will always think they are missing something ...

These are the thing that help me ..hot baths , advil , cold or hot compress , rest , gentle stretching and praying ..

I am around if you want to talk ...

Good Luck and hopefully they will find out what causes this awful costo and maybe find a cure.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
    benzbuggie
    (male)

benzbuggie HB User

i have had costo for about 10 years now, my pain can really be anywhere ribs, sternum, pretty much anywhere on my torso where my ribs are, remember your ribs arent only on your sides, they cover your heart and your other organs too. I find stretching really helps along with drinking a lot of water and exercise. Also eat healthy. The more you let your body tighten up and be out of shape the worse it will be.

Closed Thread