HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Costochondritis (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/costochondritis/)
-   -   Costo + palpitations & chest heaviness (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/costochondritis/973428-costo-palpitations-chest-heaviness.html)

Demhead 02-01-2014 05:28 PM

Costo + palpitations & chest heaviness

I was diagnosed with costo 9 years ago after ending up in the ER.
My condition has fluctuated over the years, sometimes with severe flareups, and sometimes with a month or two without incident. The only medication I've taken to limit the pain is ibuprofen, but I am weary about overdoing it due to the risk of stomach problems.
I wonder if many sufferers also experience palpitations during flareups? They may be in the chest, or rather peculiarly. - as weird as this may sound - in my throat(?)

For the most part, my pain is localised to my ribs or sternum, but lately I've had a really heavy sensation in my chest. There may be no shooting pain, but tenderness when I press my fingers over my breastbone or rib cage. I feel like this heaviness is attributed to the costo... It is from my lower sternum to my collarbone.
Does anyone else generally suffer from palpitations during flareups, or have this "heavy chest" sensation when there may be no obvious pain?

My GP isn't especially sympathetic, and tells me I should know how to handle it by now. My pain feels chronic, as the discomfort is almost daily.

Mare58 02-03-2014 07:03 PM

Re: Costo + palpitations & chest heaviness

I've had chronic costo 24/7 for over 14 years along with fibromyalgia. Costo is one of the many conditions that goes with fibro although not everyone with costo has fibro and vice versa. It hurts to touch the sides of my sternum and the ribs above my breasts. My main problem is the tight rib under my breasts that feels like I'm being squeezed tight in that area. It's very painful and hard to take a deep breath because of that rib. I don't have tightness in any other area, just tenderness. For the tightness, I find a muscle relaxant helps me but everyone is different in what works for them. I take Flexeril 10 mgs when it gets bad and a Tylenol 3. The muscle relaxant really helps ease the muscle tightness over the ribs the most. Your doctor should be working with you to explore different meds to ease your pain and discomfort. I'm not advocating meds but there are times when we all need something. The best of luck to you!

green1994 02-20-2014 02:12 PM

Hi,

I am 19 and have had exactly the same symptoms however mine turned more into panic attacks as I was extremely anxious. I think the key is to stay calm and relax your muscles, I was very tense and this made it worse. I do not take any medication however am seeking a solution as I have had it for 6 months now.

Could you tell me if you have found anything to ease the heaviness pain?

Demhead 02-21-2014 12:56 AM

Hi green1994,
Im sorry to hear you're also suffering from anxiety and costo - the pair do not make for a good time at all. I think what I have to keep telling myself is that the costo is what it is, and to STOP thinking the worst, or about what it *could be*, every time I get a flareup.
The heaviness in the chest is only slightly helped (for me) with ibuprofen, but I would prefer not to take them unless Im having a painful flare. You yourself can attest to the fact that the heaviness does not mean "pain"... just a very uncomfortable feeling. When I get like that, I find my breathing gets shallower... like I dont want to breathe in too deeply.
Lately, Ive found getting active (ie: increasing my fitness), and meditating a bit have helped relieve my costo. Also, when I get painful flareups in the ribs or sternum, Ive opted for a gel instead of ibuprofen pills. The gel (like Voltaren) is less harmful to the stomach than the pills, so I recommend it (check with your GP first though). Be aware however, that you can *not* use both ibuprofen, and a gel at the same time.
Good luck!

Demhead 02-21-2014 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=Mare58;5263361]I've had chronic costo 24/7 for over 14 years along with fibromyalgia. Costo is one of the many conditions that goes with fibro although not everyone with costo has fibro and vice versa. It hurts to touch the sides of my sternum and the ribs above my breasts. My main problem is the tight rib under my breasts that feels like I'm being squeezed tight in that area. It's very painful and hard to take a deep breath because of that rib. I don't have tightness in any other area, just tenderness. For the tightness, I find a muscle relaxant helps me but everyone is different in what works for them. I take Flexeril 10 mgs when it gets bad and a Tylenol 3. The muscle relaxant really helps ease the muscle tightness over the ribs the most. Your doctor should be working with you to explore different meds to ease your pain and discomfort. I'm not advocating meds but there are times when we all need something. The best of luck to you![/QUOTE]

Thanks Mare58, and all the best to you too!

green1994 03-04-2014 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=Demhead;5268000]Hi green1994,
Im sorry to hear you're also suffering from anxiety and costo - the pair do not make for a good time at all. I think what I have to keep telling myself is that the costo is what it is, and to STOP thinking the worst, or about what it *could be*, every time I get a flareup.
The heaviness in the chest is only slightly helped (for me) with ibuprofen, but I would prefer not to take them unless Im having a painful flare. You yourself can attest to the fact that the heaviness does not mean "pain"... just a very uncomfortable feeling. When I get like that, I find my breathing gets shallower... like I dont want to breathe in too deeply.
Lately, Ive found getting active (ie: increasing my fitness), and meditating a bit have helped relieve my costo. Also, when I get painful flareups in the ribs or sternum, Ive opted for a gel instead of ibuprofen pills. The gel (like Voltaren) is less harmful to the stomach than the pills, so I recommend it (check with your GP first though). Be aware however, that you can *not* use both ibuprofen, and a gel at the same time.
Good luck![/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot for your reply Demhead. I'm just wondering when you said that you have been getting active, what sort of things have you been doing? I was a keen gym member and ran a lot however find it hard to do so now with the heaviness in my chest. Do you have any other tips?

Glad you have found some relief! There's hope!

Demhead 03-04-2014 04:11 PM

I generally meant running/cardio activities. I took up cardio tennis classes which keeps me focused on running and tennis-related exercises. The swinging of the racquet seems to open my chest up a bit and relieve some of that stiffness. I thought it would perhaps had the reverse effect (ie: making things worse), but I've been pleasantly surprised. I think it's basically about finding what works best for you. You say you "were" a keen gym member... If it's been a while, then take things slowly, and I'd personally avoid any lifting or repetitive exercises that put pressure on your chest.