It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board

• Costochondritis or Cholecystitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
    EMsin
    (female)

EMsin HB User
    Unhappy Costochondritis or Cholecystitis

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on the forum

I am concerned about a pain that Iíve been having for about 12 days now. It started after I was getting over my second flu in a period of less than a month. I did have a cough, and one morning, as I was coughing, I felt that the right side of my ribcage was getting increasingly sore. It only got worse - pain on my right ribs (a little under my bra-strap) that gets worse with movement etc, and of course, sneezing or coughing is hell. I went to see a doctor on the second day of my pain, he feared it might be gallbladder related: he said it could be gallstones or cholecystitis (note that Iím 24 years old), and so he sent me to the emergency room. I did have a slight fever (37.5, probably since I still had a cold), but I also got a blood test and urine sample at the ER, both of which were normal. The physician at the ER told me it is not my gallbladder, since that would be a different kind of pain, and since the blood work was normal. He also took a chest xray, and said it was normal. As for my pain, he said it seemed to be my costal bone, and it would probably get better on its own.

However, 12 days later, the pain is still there. It is constant, but it has decreased in severity since its onset. I have tried Ibuprofen and Naproxen, both help mildly, but the pain isnít going away completely, and it is painful when I move around, or when I am at work, or even if I walk for too long. I went to see another doctor, who has now scheduled me for a gallbladder ultrasound, but it could be weeks before I get an appointment for that :/ I was reading up online, and I came across "costochondritis", and when I read the symptoms, it felt like that's exactly what I had (except my pain is on the right side, not left). I was surprised that when I asked my doctor what else it could be other than the gallbladder, he didnít even mention this, and he even told me any rib-related pain should have subsided by now (i.e. 12 days later). I was just wondering, do my symptoms sound more like costochondritis or Gallbladder-related issues? I have read that mild costochondritis subsides in 6-8 weeks, and for me that sounds better than having something wrong with my gallbladder..

Thank you..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
    maudet
    (female)

maudet HB User
    Re: Costochondritis or Cholecystitis

Hi. I'm new too- 5 minutes ago actually. I happened to see your post and maybe I can help. First of all, I had gall bladder disease and had the sucker taken out which fixed the prob. Went to MANY docs before one bright one actually figured it out. But the main symptom I had was nausea and vomiting, and pain in the side/back area (which is why they were obsessed it was kidney but it wasn't) Every person I've talked to (including 4 family members) who had gall bladder disease all had nausea and vomiting, so if you don't, maybe nothing's wrong with your gall bladder. Yesterday I was diagnosed with costochondritis. They don't know much about it, nor do they know what causes it. Two doctors told me that. They told me it is very common and lots of people have it. It's mainly pain at the bottom of your sternum, or at other rib areas. They said many doctors feel it's caused from stress. hope that helps and hope you feel better. Naproxen was prescribed for me. It helped.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    costochondritis, flu, gall bladder, gall stones, rib pain