It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Mother's colitis is very bad - any help?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
holahanson
(female)

holahanson HB User
Mother's colitis is very bad - any help?

My mom lost her job in Sept 2014 and has had ulcerative colitis for a few years. She has been with no insurance since October or so, so her colitis has been going untreated. Before she lost her job she was getting regular Remicaid treatments and I'm guessing other medicine; not quite sure but I do know for sure she was getting Remicaid.

She has had no appetite for a few months, and has slowly but steadily been losing weight. During the last two weeks she became very sick - always with stomach cramps, nausea, and if she ate anything she would throw it up. In Sept she was about 200 and she is currently 158.

She FINALLY went to the doctor two days ago and they gave her medicine including an anti-inflammatory. She has an anal fistula and has consultation for surgery in about 2 weeks. They tested her stool for other infections but it came back negative.

We are just lost on how to help her. We are terrified for her because she is losing SO much weight and hasn't been eating and sometimes falters when she walks because she is so weak. She just got the pills two days ago and said that she is feeling a little better - still cramping all day but she actually ate breakfast without throwing up. The doctor said it will be a slow recovery period. She was approved for Johnson and Johnson's program where they send your doctor free Remicaid if you qualify, but she will not be able to get a treatment until she has the surgery.

I'm just wondering if there is anything we are missing here - is she just having so much trouble with the constant nausea and cramping because her colitis is going untreated? Is there some medication we should be asking her doctor for that she might not be getting? Do you have any recommendations for things she can eat that will be maximum calories and not upset her stomach? We need her to get stronger so she can be in good enough health to actually get a Remicaid treatment. I just don't know enough of what's currently going on with her body and what she needs, and it doesn't help that I am out of state.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
anxiety mom
(female)

anxiety mom HB User
Re: Mother's colitis is very bad - any help?

HI........well my son has ulcerative colitis and it sounds like your mom is in a huge flare of the disease......and especially being she wasn't on meds to control it, it probably just got to far. You mom should be in the hospital for her flare.....and given saline to hydrate her, and then probably be given prednisone through infusion to help calm the colon down. If your mom got hydration and steroids (the prednisone) she might notice a huge relief fairly quickly.....not overnight, but soon. Can you find a hospital that takes people with no insurance? Try calling around to different hospitals and find out. For sure your mom needs hospital care. The fistula itself could be awful, so for sure your mom needs immediate care. Has she had blood work lately? Have they checked her "sed rate" or "crp"?..........thee are both inflammation markers......if they highly elevated it will show. When my son is in a flare, he loses weight quickly because of not eating and diarrhea. Dehydration can occur quickly in people who are flaring with Colitis. Please get your mom into an ER as soon as possible. What kind of doctor did she go to? what pills did he give her? if her flare is too far gone she for sure needs to be in the hospital to get it under control.......the hydration alone they automatically do in the hospital will make your mom feel better......if she has blood in her stools, they might even give iron infusions.....and most likely like I mentioned, the infused steroids. Remember call around and see if any hospital will take your mom with no insurance. Do you have a City Of Hope in your area? Don't wait.....your mom needs relief ASAP. Please write here in how she is doing.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
anxiety mom
(female)

anxiety mom HB User
Re: Mother's colitis is very bad - any help?

Hi it's me again.....I forgot to mention in my post above that for maximum calories/vitamins......your mom should be drinking Ensures.......she might need "bowel rest" which means no foods passing through her colon.....BUT ONLY A DOCTOR CAN TELL HER THAT!! In the meantime though, she needs some Ensures to drink to keep the calories high!!! and hopefully she can hold that down. Also I read you are out of state from her. Anyone close to her to help her? Even though you are our of state, you can still call hospitals in your moms area to check. GOOD LUCK.

Closed Thread