It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Any good diet for UC sufferers ?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
dars
(male)

dars HB User
Any good diet for UC sufferers ?

Hello,

I've had Ulcerative Colitis for 25 years but never could figure out a good diet to both keep me in remission but also get me out of flare ups when they do occur. Are there any good diets for UC ?

I was thinking of just eliminating caffeine, sugar, dairy, and wheat and see if that helps.

thank you.

Dars.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
anxiety mom
(female)

anxiety mom HB User
Re: Any good diet for UC sufferers ?

Hi Dars......I actually just posted a new question here on the colitis board about our son. 7 years for him with colitis and no remission in all that time. His doctor never thought diet was a huge factor in his disease, although, our son does not eat poorly.....he hardly has sweets....no alcohol....rarely caffeine.....nothing hard to digest....so we feel he eats good, but in answer to your question, he follows no special diet for UC. If I may ask...wow 25 years with colitis?! What medication have you been on, that has held off surgery for you? Feel better Dars!!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 AM   #3
dars
(male)

dars HB User

Hi Anxiety Mom,
sorry to hear your son has no experienced remission in 7 years. I pray that he finds relief soon. As far as medication, usually a combination of 3 medicines helps control my UC and often puts it in remission: Asacol HD, Canasa Suppositories, and Rowasa Enemas. All three medications have the same chemical, Mesalamine. The Asacol HD is pill form and only pill form of Mesalamine that has worked for me ( there are others), the Canasa Suppositories reach the rectal area and are good and the Rowasa enemas reach deeper into the colon than the suppositories. The combination of all three make a big difference. Often my doctor will prescribe Prednisone on top of all that, its a steroid. But in the future, I'd like to avoid it because it can cause osteoporosis, even in men. I never want sugery...it would be horrible to have any part of my colon removed. I'd rather keep my colon and deal with flareups.

I wish your son all the best...God bless you and your son. - Dars.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
anxiety mom
(female)

anxiety mom HB User

Thank you Dars. You are very blessed to be on Asacol, the enemas and suppositories.......and no biologics. Jake has been on the three you are on, but sadly didn't work for him. Yes, surgery is something no one wants to do, but Jake has been on 3 biologics and years and years of off and on steroids.....and as you know steroids are not good at all for a person. We are afraid they have already wrecked havoc on his body, so surgery may finally give him relief. He flares so often, he really can't live a full life. I appreciate you telling us what worked for you. I hope those meds continue to keep you stable!!!!!

Old 11-02-2015, 03:34 AM   #5
whiskeythekid
(female)

whiskeythekid HB Userwhiskeythekid HB User
My experience: dairy causes uc for me. I eliminate all dairy with the exception of butter. Alot of processed foods have a dairy component which means that label reading is important.
My colitis has always been mild and limited to the last inch of the colin. I have been in "remission" for a very long time by avoiding dairy.

The point is that something in the diet can cause this disease in some people.

Another thing to think about is bad bacteria vs good bacteria. Many things can cause the bad to take over. For example, antibiotics use of a high processed carb diet like breads, sugar, and pasta (excluding potatoes or rice and other non-processed carbs). This can be fixed by diet changes and pro-biotics.

Once the colitis flares, medicine is usually needed to get it under control while making any dietary adjustments at the same time.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
xxPandoraxx
(female)

xxPandoraxx HB User

Alkaline diet 80/20 to restore health
some u/c suffers find digestive enzymes twice a day 1 before each meal helpful some don't
High strenght probiotic pill daily
food intolerances test as healing can not start while invaders are attacking the body.
Any diet is best done with a fully qualified nutritionist who can test ph levels and even body type so can tell you exactly what foods your body requires to function at its best
What vit/mins u need
average price u should expect to would be £140 for above testing then supps added on and £50 for private intolerance test - if you find some 1 who uses a vega machine who is very experienced they tell u foods u r intolerant to so u cut them out for 3 months
Any other diet advice u take from nutritionist
my mum has u/c

Closed Thread

Tags
diet, ulcerative colitis