It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Colon too inflamed for colonoscopy

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #1
ddavey
(female)

ddavey HB User
Colon too inflamed for colonoscopy

I went to ER after a night of very painful loose stools that ended with passing blood with mucus & little feces. CT scan showed most of colon inflamed, possible diverticulitis on the left. Three days of IV antibiotics but colon is too inflamed to do a colonoscopy, will have that in 4 weeks. For the month prior I have been experiencing pain on my spine between shoulder blades with nausea & pain like being punched in the stomach. I was waiting for results of an abdominal ultrasound to check gallbladder...got the call from pcp office while in the ER saying no gallstones lol. Diagnosed with colitis, determined it's not caused by infection. Blood pressure was very low during the stay in hospital. Only thing that I did learn is no more chocolate 😕 I had a chocolate pop tart a few hours before the pain began, pain subsided while inpatient until I was given a chocolate chip cookie, then started again but less intense & no blood. This pain isn't new for me, but the blood is. I'm very curious if this is Crohn's or UC. Any input would be helpful 🙂

The following user gives a hug of support to ddavey:
Mavvio16 (02-15-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #2
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Colon too inflamed for colonoscopy

Hi...you won't know much more until you have the c-scope. I'm assuming you've already had stool sampling done.

Regarding the gallbladder....fatty foods will definitely give you pain in that area. It's good you don't have any stones.

What meds have they given you? Even if it is or isn't UC or CD, I'd suggest that they at least give you a mesalamine oral medication and that the doctor could at least give you a rectal exam to see if you have inflammation there. If you do....then add a rectal mesalamine retention enema to the mix.

Those medications are in the first tier of treatment, and they should help take down your inflammation in the next few weeks...enough for you to have your c-scope.

I will strongly advise you to get copies of absolutely ALL your test results, that includes stool, x-rays, ultrasound, c-scope biopsies..anything you have done. The reason is for your files/information so that you can do research, ask questions to others and formulate a dialogue with your doctor regarding diagnosis.

Keep us updated how you're doing.

q

Old 02-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
ddavey
(female)

ddavey HB User
Smile Re: Colon too inflamed for colonoscopy

Thank you quincy! The only result I know from stool sample is colitis isn't caused by bacteria or infection. Rectal was quick, no hemorrhoid or fissure. Was given Flagyl & Cipro iv inpatient and carafate 4x day & prilosec for home. Today was my first day out & standing/walking for awhile, felt lightheaded & pressure on back to front (upper middle)...feels more like esophagus than colon or gallbladder..? Felt more like the shortness of breath after getting hit in stomach, not really painful. Thank you so much for your reply

Last edited by ddavey; 02-15-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #4
noevr
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I don't know anything about t he d is eases but I do know about cidpro. You need to research it's side effects. It caused me to have terrible rib pain and can cause weird pain anywhere. Muscular or whatever. Ask your pharmacist. I had to have steroid injections.

If you were on any sort of steroid prior to the cidpro can cause an interaction as well.

Cathy

Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hope they continue to do further testing...especially an upper endoscopy to rule out anything there.

q

Old 04-23-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
Kylee25
(female)

Kylee25 HB User

HI there

The hospital just told me that Lat night, too. 😳

Kinda scary. I'm new at this. Have you been diagnosed long?

Me, just today.

Can we have surgery to help?

Well, you are not alone, my friend. 😄💙

We can do this. So sorry for your pain!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
karlee1010
(female)

karlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB Userkarlee1010 HB User

HI. It'd help if I cleared this up......

I'm diagnosed with Chrohn's Disease.

I'm weak. Achy. Painful gut, and lower extremities.

I almost pass out from pain, trying normal body functions.

Fun times, for sure!!💙😄

Old 04-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ddavey...how are you doing now?
q

Last edited by quincy; 04-26-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Closed Thread