It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Crohns, colitis or IBS?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
Kb20
(female)

Kb20 HB User
Crohns, colitis or IBS?

Hello, I was wondering if anybody would be able to help or offer any advice. In secondary school I was diagnosed with IBS along with lots of food intolerances. After cutting them out I managed to cope ok however, the symptoms are much worse and uncontrollable. I have recently been to see the doctor as everyday I have found blood and mucus in the stools and my health is deteriorating dramatically. This has panicked me because although lots of my family members have IBS some members of the family also suffer from crohns and colitis. After going to the doctors, they did an examination and found piles which they believed are causing the bleeding. After having stool and blood tests they showed no inflammation nor infection. Is it normal to have blood and mucus in the stool, flare ups every couple of weeks/months? Nausea? Muscle aches and pains? Bloating and burning stomach? Tenderness of stomach?Tiredness? Fatigue? Sever headaches? Hair loss? Left lower abdomen pain? In May this year I was also diagnosed with anemia and so was put on iron deficiency tablets and b12 tablets to bring them to a normal level.

The reason I ask is because I have been reading other people's stories and they have been misdiagnosed for years with IBS when there is something more to it. The doctor offered to refer me for a colonoscopy however, I feel as though I would be wasting the NHS' time and resources when this could just be IBS?

Last edited by Kb20; 10-28-2016 at 02:23 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kb20:
movielover40 (10-28-2016)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: Crohns, colitis or IBS?

I think you should have the colonoscopy done just to be sure what's going on.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

The only way to know is to have a colonoscopy.

Colitis is a general term for inflammation of the colon. There are different types of colitis such as antibiotic induced, viral, bacterial, parasitic, microscopic, crohn's, ulcerative, ischemic ...to name a few.
A diagnosis is best, especially if early. Besides, you have low B12, and that should be investigated. It is absorbed through the small intestine, so a small bowel follow-through and celiac testing should be done as well.
You should also have stool sampling done.

Those with an inflammatory chronic bowel disease can also have IBS, so the confusion of symptoms can cause much distress at the constant guessing.

Having nothing done won't change what's actually going on. Best to have proper testing considering your family history.

Let us know the outcome.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-28-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:25 AM   #4
Kb20
(female)

Kb20 HB User

Thank you for your reply,

I have been tested for celiac and that came back negative. I also had some stool samples done and they said there was no form of infection.

I am going to the doctors to ask for a colonoscopy just to be sure.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Request to have biopsies done because of your family history, as well as that inflammation can be present without visual clues sometimes. Best to have a good baseline.

Please let us know the outcome.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-31-2016 at 09:47 AM.

Reply Reply