It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Is there a prednisolone steroids natural replacement???

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #1
eagel
(male)

eagel HB User
Is there a prednisolone steroids natural replacement???

I have Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing spondylitis for over 15 years now which causes explosive Diarrhoea and bleeding and have taken steroids which always have worked, but have caused a cataract.
Prednisolone steroids are the only medicine which, for me, works 100 %, but has got to many bad side effects to justify to take it.
Prednisolone steroids prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation and also Steroids are a man-made version of hormones normally produced by the adrenal glands, two small glands found above the kidneys.
When taken in doses higher than the amount your body normally produces, steroids reduce redness and swelling (inflammation). This can help with inflammatory conditions
Steroids also reduce the activity of the immune system, the body's natural defence against illness and infection.
This can help treat autoimmune conditions, such as Crohns, which are caused by the immune system mistakenly attacking the body.
I have tried to takes herbs to help with my Crohns, but no luck there, even with the help of several herbalists Dr’s.
So I am now looking for a natural herb or substance like essential oils to copy or mimic the action of the steroid in the hope to get the same effect without the bad side effects and also possibly boost the production of the body’s own steroids or hormones to fight the inflammation.
EG Prednisolone steroids prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation and also Steroids are a man-made version of hormones normally produced by the adrenal glands, two small glands found above the kidneys
After all there are several herbs/ natural remedies out there like Tea Tree Oil witch act like antibiotics so i would have thought it would be possible to boost one’s own “steroids”
Any ideas or opinions welcome.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2017 at 07:44 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: eagel
movielover40 (04-12-2017),YaYagirl (04-12-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Lightbulb Re: Is there a prednisolone steroids natural replacement???

Dear eagel,

Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing spondylitis are names given to a set of symptoms. Drugs can suppress symptoms but as you know, they can not cure the under-lying problem. We need to, and can, create a balanced and healthy environment for the organs to settle down and do their job. Genetics can't be changed, but we can change how we treat the body. Inflammation comes from an unhealthy environment. We can change the internal environment so the body can function as stress free as possible.

I am not at all against drugs, but also, by my own experience and research don't believe drugs or herbs (really used as just another drug) can create the needed gut balance. And, as you know, drugs and herbs also can have seriously bad side effects. For example, antibiotics can save a life from a bad infection, but ruin the healthy gut balance. So we need to understand the gut and how to help it be as healthy as possible.

There are things we can do to help heal the inflammation. One is to read up on how to create a healthy gut environment. Read all sorts of opinions. Also, you can interview some Naturopathic Doctors, and explain your genetic diseases and that you need help to get your gut as healthy as possible. Then try one out. If he/she doesn't help, try a different one. Docs are just people, and they don't all have the same interests or study.

There are foods that by what you wrote, definitely your own gut cannot process to your benefit. I can't tell you specifically what substances inflame your gut, but you really must change how you think about food and how it affects your body. There are highly inflammatory 'foods' and chemicals like alcohol (which is highly concentrated fruit sugar) that someone with an 'iron' gut can handle, but people like you and I (I have my own gut issues) need to avoid as if they are a plague.

We can think of how we choose to eat that we have a deadly allergy. We would not deliberately eat poison if we knew it was poison to us, right? Well, certainly that isn't a fact, because we humans frequently ingest things that aren't at all good for us (like spun sugar...I love cotton candy). But I believe you can help our bodies lay the inflammation to rest. I can do it myself, when I make myself do it. It isn't easy, though, to pass by a pot pie. I think of the veggies inside the pie and ignore that the pie includes wheat pie crust. Clearly plain vegetables are not esp. appealing. But herbs and sauces and real butter can make them delectable. (If I seem to be trying to convince myself, I am.) Knowing what to do is one thing. Doing it is another. But I and you need to get serious, and I don't have the disease you have. Both of us still need to take our health more seriously.

One thing I know we need to avoid is simple carbs. Simple carbs are known to cause inflammation in the gut. It kill the healthy flora balance. This includes most grains, breads, cereals, sugars, syrups, and the list goes on. Yet there are sugars and grains that don't inflame the body. We have to learn what those are, and to cook differently. We need to eat whole fresh foods, fruits, vegetables, low fat cuts of meat, chicken, etc. and NEVER indulge in pre-prepared or artificial food. It takes several stomachs for grass eating animals to process grass (wheat is a grass). Yet some 'super-intelligent' person got the idea to raise grass products for food. And they taste so good! But may not be good for the human body.

I confess, those pre-prepared cake, pie and bread type of foods are attractive. But if we want the gut to heal and function right we have to change what we put in to it.

I am pretty sure this isn't info that one wants to know. As I share with you I am convicted of my own crimes toward myself.

Reply Reply