It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

Colonoscopy was normal. Even more confused than ever!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
shelley714
(female)

shelley714 HB User
Colonoscopy was normal. Even more confused than ever!

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for viewing my post and responding, I really do appreciate every piece of help and advice.

Since around 2006, I have been suffering from intense stomach cramping, nausea and gas after eating red meat or chicken. I was initially diagnosed with a codeine allergy but that was before I recognised the correlation between red meat/chicken and the pain I was experiencing.

Since then, I have merely stood clear of red meat and chicken. Things do get a little strange from here though...

I've had major depressive disorder since around the age of 15 (I'm 30 now) and had just come off Mirtazapine when I began having the intense pains. I was off antidepressants until the beginning of 2014 then cycled through Mirtazapine, Pristiq, Prozac, Endep and then onto Valdoxan late 2015. Intense anxiety attacks and a mental breakdown very late 2016 meant an increase in meds: Valdoxan, Lexapro and Lamotrogine. Not long after these were commenced, I chanced a piece of lamb when my fiancé was cooking a roast. I LOVE roast. No pain...

Continued to trial small amounts of red meat and chicken and hurrah, I was cured! But then I began having problems with lactose. Mainly milk. Urgent, intense cramping followed by diahorrea. So I got rid of one intolerance and ended up with another!

Unfortunately, the combination of meds wasn't working so changed to Cymbalta and remained on Lamotrigine and have been ever since. Now I have problems with foods containing a lot of oil (even things like pesto etc.) and sometimes I don't even know why I have pain.

Had a colonoscopy last week because my C-Reative Protein count is 37 and my gastroenterologist was suspecting Crohn's and all was okay, including biopsy results that I just got back today.

I'm so confused and actually disheartened that they didn't find anything. It's so difficult to avoid so many different foods!

I have to go back to my gastroenterologist (when I can afford it...) but in the mean time, I'm super lost and could do with some advice or help or... has anyone heard of anything like this before? I'm so confused...

Last edited by shelley714; 07-17-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Colonoscopy was normal. Even more confused than ever!

Ask your gastroenterologist who did the scope if your Illeum was scoped.
This is not a normal part of the regular screening colonoscopy; however it is a must when looking for Chrons...deterioration of the Illeum can cause all of the symtoms you are describing.

Not all doctors scope the Illeum, as I stated, it is not normally done...and its a difficult area for the scope to get to- so many don't try...but find out if your was, and if it wasnt ask them, how do they know its not Crohns Disease?

Reply Reply