It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Terminology from Colonoscopy

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 06-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #1
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User
    Unhappy Terminology from Colonoscopy

The colonoscopy was performed with some difficulty as originally an adult scope was used but then changed to a pedi scope due to luminal narrowing.

Findings:
    -The Peoria all examination was normal.
    -Two 1mm polyps we抮e found in the rectum. The polyps were sessile. The polyps were removed with a cold biopsy forceps. Resection and retrieval were complete. Estimated blood loss was minimal.

The colon diffusely had evidence of prior disease with scattered areas of loss of the normal vasculature. There were also scattered pseudopolyps. The transverse colon diffusely had numerous pseudo and inflammatory polyps and was mild to moderately inflamed mucosa with diffuse circumferential congested, erythematous, friable (with contact bleeding), erosions, white exudate and vascular-pattern-decreased mucosa was found in the entire transverse colon. In addition, the regular adult scope had to be changed to a pedi scope because at the start of the transverse colon the lumen was narrowed from extensive pseudopolyp formation at that area. The other areas of the colon were not inflamed. Four biopsy specimens were sent to Pathology.Estimated blood loss was minimal.
    -The terminal ileum appeared normal
    -Multiple small and large-mouthed diverticula we抮e found in the descending and sigmoid colon.

I originally was diagnosed with UC 1980 that affected the entire colon. Over the years I抳e pretty much been in remission. Since then I抳e probably had 6 to 10 flares. This is the first yearly colonoscopy I抳e had with this transverse colon issue and it抯 got me concerned. Have not heard from pathology yet as the colonoscopy was just two days ago. I appreciate any input. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Terminology from Colonoscopy

Hi. I am not exactly sure what you are asking here.

The report basically says that you have allot of psudopolyps; which are precursors to actual polyps. 4 were removed....this is standard as they always remove anything that shouldn't be there in hopes of preventing any spreading of possible disease. The great news is now that they are gone, even if there was disease, its gone now!

The terminal illeum being normal is also good news; no sign of Chrons diesese or any IBD.

Everything else is pretty much from the UC which you already know you have.

The fact that they changed from a full scope to a pedio scope is simply due to the inflammation and scar tissue from the UC. I have to have a pedioscope done as well- similar background.

At this point, all you can do is wait for the Pathology report and a call from your doctor's office. Again, good news. If anything was there which was URGENT, you would have probably been called already. These things get read fairly quickly.

Hang in there...you can call your doctors office on Monday to ask if its been read yet.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I see nothing regarding rectum, descending, ascending inflammation....only in transverse. I would suspect your issues are more CD related rather than UC, especially with the narrowing and abundance of pseudopolyps.

What meds are you on?

The sessile polyps would be a concern to me considering you have IBD.

Please let us know the results of your biopsies pathology....I hope the doc took them throughout.

q

Old 06-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hi. I am not exactly sure what you are asking here.

The report basically says that you have allot of psudopolyps; which are precursors to actual polyps. 4 were removed....this is standard as they always remove anything that shouldn't be there in hopes of preventing any spreading of possible disease. The great news is now that they are gone, even if there was disease, its gone now!

The terminal illeum being normal is also good news; no sign of Chrons diesese or any IBD.

Everything else is pretty much from the UC which you already know you have.

The fact that they changed from a full scope to a pedio scope is simply due to the inflammation and scar tissue from the UC. I have to have a pedioscope done as well- similar background.

At this point, all you can do is wait for the Pathology report and a call from your doctor's office. Again, good news. If anything was there which was URGENT, you would have probably been called already. These things get read fairly quickly.

Hang in there...you can call your doctors office on Monday to ask if its been read yet.

Thank you for reply, I appreciate it.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Yes, Doc took 4 biopsies every 10cm throughout the colon.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

What meds are you on at this point? And what was the transverse like at your last year c-scope?

It sounds like a thorough GI, .....and hopefully the biopsies will reveal if anything else is going on, and a plan if needed will be set in place.
    Please update us when you get the results.
    q

Last edited by quincy; 06-24-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Last years colonoscopy had the usual UC remnents. Out of all the years of colonoscopies this is the first time they had to change to a pedi scope to get to the transverse colon. As for meds the generic Lialda and mesalamine enemas. Although I haven’t always take meds regularly due to feeling fine and no apparent symptoms. Thanks for the reply

Old 06-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Here are results of pathology.

Final Diagnosis
    A. Right colon, biopsy:
    路 Colonic mucosa with no pathologic change.

B. Transverse colon, biopsy:
    路 Colonic mucosa with focal mild active chronic inflammatory disease (cryptitis, crypt
    abscesses, and mild crypt architectural distortion).

C. Left colon, biopsy:

D. Rectal polyps x2, biopsy:
    路 Colonic mucosa with mild superficial hyperplastic change.

E. Rectosigmoid colon, biopsy:

Note: The findings are consistent with patient 's
    history of ulcerative colitis. Negative
    for
    granuloma and dysplasia, all parts.

I, the Attending Pathologist, attest by my signature that I have
    personally reviewed and examined this case, grossly and/or microscopically,
    and have made or confirmed the diagnosis(es).

Clinical Information
    Scheduled Procedure: COLONOSCOPY FLEXIBLE,WITH BIOPSY
    Clinical history: Ulcerative colitis without complications, unspecified location [K51.90]

Specimen/Gross Description
    A. Received in formalin, labeled with the patient 's name and designated as "right colon, "
    are
    multiple pieces of pink-tan soft tissue measuring in aggregate 1.0 x 0.6 x 0.2 cm. The
    specimen
    is submitted in its entirety in a mesh bag in cassette A1.

B. Received in formalin, labeled with the patient 's name and designated as "transverse
    colon, "
    are multiple pieces of pink-tan soft tissue measuring
    in aggregate 1.0 x 0.5 x 0.2 cm. The
    specimen is submitted in its entirety in a mesh bag in cassette B1.

C. Received in formalin, labeled with the patient 's name and designated as "left colon, "
    are
    multiple pieces of pink-tan soft tissue measuring in aggregate 0.9 x 0.5 x 0.2 cm. The
    specimen
    is submitted in its entirety in a mesh bag in cassette C1.

D. Received in formalin, labeled with the patient 's name and designated as "rectal polyp x
    2, " are three pieces of pink-tan soft tissue measuring in aggregate 0.5 x 0.5 x 0.2 cm. The
    specimen is submitted in its entirety in a mesh bag in cassette D1.

E. Received in formalin, labeled with the patient 's name and designated as "rectosigmoid,
    " are
    multiple pieces of pink-tan soft tissue measuring in aggregate 0.7 x 0.5 x 0.2 cm. The
    specimen
    is submitted in its entirety in a mesh bag in cassette E1.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 AM   #9
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. You are in good shape. They will continue monitoring you..but there is nothing that suggests you are in any kind of immediate danger! Give your doctor a call on Monday to discuss the findings. The fact that there was no pathological change is very good news!

Reply Reply

Tags
    colon cancer, colonoscopy