It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Best tests to diagnose crohns

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #1
    Veronica7
    (female)

Veronica7 HB User
    Best tests to diagnose crohns

I have been having IBD/crohns issues for years but have had no real testing done. My Dr. has just ordered an MR enterography (with oral contrast but no IV contrast/no gadolinium) and a colonoscopy.
    Will the combo of these test be able to diagnose crohns?
    My issues are pain mostly on the lower right side with a lot of radiating back pain, nausea, cramping, bloating, vomiting, unable to eat fiber etc
    I worry about getting these test done when I am already in such pain, is the oral contrast awful and have a lot of side effects? I worry about colonoscopy risks too. Are these tests dangerous when in a flare?
    Lastly, can crohns be easily diagnosed when not in a bad flare or is it hard to find? Hoping to finally find answers and get some help.
    Thanks for any info!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Best tests to diagnose crohns

The colonoscopy alone will diagnose Crohn's disease if it is there.... the doctor will see the issue with his scope as he gets into your colon.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
    Veronica7
    (female)

Veronica7 HB User

Not all crohn's is in the large intestine is it? So may not be seen by a colonoscopy? My issues are on the right side and the Dr. is thinking small intestine. Can it still be seen on a colonoscopy if it's the ilieum?

Old 04-05-2019, 03:39 AM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

A full colonoscopy can scope the entire colon into the ileum, which is the last part of the colon and usually where Crohn's is found.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Crohns can happen anywhere from mouth to anus. It can involve the entire digestive wall thickness.
    If it's limited to the colon, it can mimic UC with the pattern it presents.

Ulcerative colitis involves the rectum, colon and sometimes the cecum, and terminal ileum from backwash with pancolitis.

Do you have a hernia?

If you are suffering and CD or UC is suspected....you should have a colonoscopy WITH biopsies. One can have microscopic colitis or colitis caused by invaders, etc.
    If you have vomiting...an upper scope should be done at the same time.

Have you had stool samples done? Blood tests for inflammatory markers, gluten sensitivity or h. Pylori?

The best bet if you are having symptoms but upper and lower endoscopies show nothing....have a pill camera. Sometimes, CD can be limited in an area of the small intestine where no scope will reach....and the inflammation doesn't show on any scans.

Please let us know the outcome of your tests.

q

Reply Reply