It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Crohns or Colitis?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
    Maprice1122
    (female)

Maprice1122 HB User
    Crohns or Colitis?

So for about 5 years now I have these ď flare upsĒ that only last a couple days but itís kinda scary. Itís like a bloody mucous that comes out. There is no stool coming out just the mucous. I went for a colposcopy when it first started and they found nothing and said it was just an infection. But then it kept happening and drs just kept brushing it off. I feel like I really need answers though. I donít have any other symptoms (no fever or weight loss) except for abdominal pain. I took pictures and took a sample out of the toilet and wondering if my dr can test the sample to see exactly what it is. Anybody have any advise they can give me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Crohns or Colitis?

Since Colitis is an inflammation of the colon and Crohns doesnt actually have a test...your best bet would be to go back to the GI doctor and let them run a full panel on you and see what turns up. Colitis is often found with blood work as well as a Endoscopy....Crohns is usually diagnosed when everything else is ruled out.
    Have you had an endoscopy? Like a colonoscopy, but through the mouth.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Crohns or Colitis?

Do you have the results of your colonoscopy pathology? All your blood tests and fecal tests? I'm hoping the GI took biopsies! Or did you see a general surgeon the the tests?
    What did the doc give you for your "infection"?

UC affects the colon and has a specific pattern of inflammation starting at the rectum and spreads upward. . Crohns can affect anywhere from mouth to anus, and can be in different areas. Crohn's can mimic UC pattern when it affects the colon.

UC and CD have no definitive diagnosis, per se...it's a "consistent with" after all other possibilities are ruled out such as infective, or Microscopic Colitis. CD does affect the entire wall of the digestive tract that are affected, whereas UC affects only as deep as the top two layers of the colon lining.

You should have a CT done of your digestive tract to see if there is anything visible in the small intestine.

q

Reply Reply