It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board

• Crohns Disease and Autoimmune hepatitis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
    Taura
    (female)

Taura HB User
    Crohns Disease and Autoimmune hepatitis

First off, I'm 17 years old, I was diagnosed with Crohns diease and autoimmune hepatits about 2 years ago and have been sick undiagnosed for 4 years.

I was lucky enough to have my parents get me on a insurance that covers my medical bills 100%, but, as of lately the topic of insurance has been coming up because my 18th birthday is closing in, rapidly. After I'm 18, I could very well not have anymore insurance, but even if they do extend it, it will only be until I'm 19.

If any of you know about Crohns disease, you may know that it is a nice costly thing to have. I get Remicade infusions aprox every 8 to 10 weeks. (From what I have been told, they cost $20,000 each time.) Even if I do get put on my Mom's insurance it only covers 80% of that. (Mind you, this is not even including my other medications!) 80% of $20,000 is still $4,000, which to me is quite a lot!

So..... Say I get a remicade every 10 weeks... thats.. aproximately 5 a year. 5 times 4 is 20, so thats $20,000 a year, even with insurance that covers 80% of medical. (Again, not including perscriptions.) Plus, I am sure I will be attending college, and "WILL" have a job (not like I have any other choice there?) Pretty much, I am looking for suggestions on what I can do? It's very frustrating, especially since I originally wanted to move away, but as it stands, seems I won't be getting any where fast with these amounts of medical bills.

Help please!

The following user gives a hug of support to Taura:
    salinca8453 (07-17-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
    chigs489
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chigs489 HB User
    Re: Crohns Disease and Autoimmune hepatitis

is there an alternative medication, or is that the best one?

The university supplies health insurance for its students, so you should be fine there. I'm not sure what their policy is for pre-existing conditions. Another option is health insurance through an employer.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
    danimal15
    Inactive
    (male)

danimal15 HB User

Taura,

Remicade is a costly drug, indeed, but not as costly as you think. As a member of the news media, I write about drug companies, so I have some background in this. The cost of Remicade is more like $20,000 a year (or $4,000 a year for you out of pocket if you're covered 80% by insurance). It's not $20,000 per treatment. This is still a lot of money, I understand. I hope you can get insurance through your college.

Last edited by danimal15; 01-26-2005 at 10:52 AM.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
    Taura
    (female)

Taura HB User

Thanks for your input danimal15, I completely did not know that! That at least is a relief, but still costly.

chiggins1066, I believe remicade was my last option, so, no.

Closed Thread